2020 GOTY

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
man it woulda been a good game for switch if you had to travel i bet, but fucking covid

I played it on PC, but the default controls might give you trouble compared to having everything close by on a controller. Amazingly re playable game, also my GOTY. I would've finished it sooner, but while working on friending everyone, did not realize I could befriend a certain inanimate object until well after the first 'ending'.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
This thread made me realize I’m in the “get off my fucking lawn” stage of my hobby.

I played Path of Exile, Grim Dawn, Final Fantasy 14, and the Shadows of the Collosus remake. Nothing even remotely current.

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Hades is really good, I just started playing and got to Hades for the first time after 20 attempts. He kicked my ass. I want revenge.

I will get my revenge.

Great game, scratches my rpg itches and my arcader itch. Excellent.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
May have to trust y’all and try this Monster Train game out. Thought it was like $30 but I guess $17 isn’t bad. The genre isn’t one that appeals to me at all after trying out a couple of others. Not sure it was Slay the Spire or something way earlier than that. Kind of in a couch / PS4 mode at the moment. Wish it was out on there (no Xbox).

spronk

FPS noob
ive finished and enjoyed

Demon Souls - my GOTY
Final Fantasy 7 remake
13 Sentinels
Yakuza Kiwami 2
COD MW 1,2,R campaigns

Still have Ghosts of Tsushima and Dragon Quest XI S and Yakuza 7 and the Ubisoft games to play.

Definitely a weaker year in comparison to previous years, and TLOU2 and Cyberpunk and Avengers have really soured me on western devs, but I'm really enjoying playing japanese games.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
1609455072034.png

Risk of Rain 2 is my 2020 GOTY. It's a sci-fi third person shooter roguelike with optional multiplayer. I never played the first one, but it doesn't matter because narrative isn't a very large part of the game but the gameplay kicks so much ass that this game has been pretty much impossible for me to put down. The main game mode has two different victory conditions and tons of different achievements that give you a variety of different ways to play each run, and that's before you factor in the different character types (which all play vastly different from each other) and the effect of items. There's also a harder game mode that adds stacking difficulty modifiers each time you complete it, which is some of the best challenge I've had in any roguelike. Multiplayer can get really chaotic with all of the extra enemy and item spawns, but it's the good kind of chaos that makes you laugh as you're scavenging the planet for loot while blasting away aliens. This game is just pure fun with no BS.

My runner-up would be Hades. It's is a phenomenal game with no major weaknesses, but it just doesn't scratch the "fun" itch for me as much as RoR2 does (possibly due to a lack of multiplayer).

TheAylix

Vyemm Raider
Game of the Year 2020: Hades, duh. Aside from being one of the best rogue-lites that have come out in the past few years, it's also one of the model games for early access. Polished and tight from the beginning, the devs made sure to craft a game that only got better the closer it got to full release.

Expansion of the Year 2020: Total War: Warhammer 2 - the Warden & the Paunch. The long-awaited Greenskin rework for TW:2 was made all the better with the excellent inclusion of Grom the Paunch and his fun-as-fuck campaign. I've spent more hours on TW:W2 in the past few years than any other game, and this expansion is the perfect reason why.

Most Forgettable Game 2020: Total War: Troy. I am a Total War addict. I am perfectly willing to excuse failures from Creative Assembly that I wouldn't let slide from even my own family. Despite that, Total War: Troy was a worthless mess made all the more useless by being an Epic Games exclusive. If you look in the dictionary for "forgettable", you wouldn't even find Total War: Troy because the editors would've forgotten to include it.

• 1Worf

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I think Risk of Rain 2 is the only game I played this year that also came out this year. Everything else has been backlog/older/continuous stuff(FFXIV mostly, not much PoE this year), so I guess it'd win by default for me, but I wouldn't really say it's a GOTY game even if it's good. Doesn't help I fall into blackholes of time every now and then, discovered Tales of Maj'eyal this summer and been playing that since, I'm almost "done", after 1200hours.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Hades has vaulted to the top of my list once I finish Cyberpunk

Fadaar

That guy
This thread made me realize I’m in the “get off my fucking lawn” stage of my hobby.

I played Path of Exile, Grim Dawn, Final Fantasy 14, and the Shadows of the Collosus remake. Nothing even remotely current.

I've been in the play the same shit year after year mode for a while now. Destiny 2 expansions, WoW expansions, fucking around with Battletech mods, etc.

The entire studio just gets gobbled up and summarily executed instead.

View attachment 326338

Trying to think of the last great IP that changed hands in that sense and went on to success.

GoT and Hades are my choices as we’ll and I feel like I went through quite a few games this year with COVID and permanent working from home. Got paid to play a lot this year.

It's too bad that Obsidian only got one crack at Fallout, we can all agree New Vegas was far superior to FO3 and 4.

• 1Like

Grez

Trakanon Raider
I mentioned Noita earlier, but I just remembered that Factorio 1.0 came out this year, so it's a toss up for me. Both are amazing games.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Ghost of Tsushima. Possibly GOTY 2021 too, cause kids are on the main tv all the time now that shit’s all closed down.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Might have to try Hades on Switch, kinda dumb that they haven’t released on other consoles.

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
Fuck Doom. They killed my deathmatch.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It's too bad that Obsidian only got one crack at Fallout, we can all agree New Vegas was far superior to FO3 and 4.
Part of the 'Obsidian has 6 projects in various stages of development' rumor is that one of them is another Fallout now that MS will be owning both them and Bethesda.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Cyberpunk and Hades are a tie for me. I have spent so much time on each one but they are so different that I cannot really compare them to each other.

• 1Like