2023-2024 College Football. And then there were 4

Tide27

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
No it wont.
The big games will still matter. An Alabama vs Georgia game will still matter. Ohio State verse Michigan will still matter.

The smaller games never did matter..
No It won't. The winner of OSU vs Mich would have zeronrelevance next year, as they are both clearly in the top 12 best teams.

As it is now, OSU lost and now they have been eliminated.. Same with Bama vs Georgia.....Georgia's loss all but knocks the entire SEC out, and there is zero way you can say Bama or Georgia would not be in the top 12 either.

In a group of 12, the Bama vs GA, OSU vs Mich, insert any top 5 top 10 matchups at the end of the season....irrelevant.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah or we will take this in reverse and then say that once a team loses, then the rest of the season does not matter with the current metric. Yes one wins can get into the top 4, but it gets a lot more difficult to do it. It is two sides of the same coin.

A prime example of this would be UGA not getting into the top 4. Why would I care about the rest of the season? I will cheer for my division, but if no SEC represents then I am kind of out for the season. At least with a 12 game playoff I have a shot of cheering for my team and then for my division if my team has lost. The regular season has always just been for the fans. Now though, the fans can really have a reason to cheer if their one loss team actually can win it all.

With a 12 Game playoff system the strength of division will become more apparent. We will have less of the Strong division chewing itself up while weaker divisions give up their strongest contender.

It should be better...but nothing is ever going to be perfect.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
We should have a playoff with Ohio State, FSU, Georgia in it. This 4 playoff is bonkers.

Btw those 3 teams are my most hated teams

This is so stupid.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Starting my day with champaign to celebrate making the playoffs. Cheer boys.

Hopefully we get matched against Michigan so we get the first round bye.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
I'm a super casual CFB fan that roots for FSU but they really have no chance without their QB. You would be saving their fans' pride by snubbing them from the playoff instead of letting them in and get rolled over.

FSU can live in a fantasy land where they can say "we wuz champions." Like UCF did that one year. You can say "any given Saturday" but I'd rather have a 95% chance of 3 good games instead of a 5% chance FSU makes a game of it and doesn't get steamrolled.

Edit: maybe leave Michigan out for stealing signs from other teams? FSU, Washington, Texas, Bama. That should be in consideration.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
I'm with Tide27 on this; an expanded playoff diminishes not only the regular season but several of the conference championships too. Next year, if the situation is the same, does a Alabama-Georgia conf championship game even matter? They're going to be top 8 seeds no matter so there's no home field advantage on a rematch. Sure the individual fan bases will care and everyone should like to see a good game. You could argue that from a fan's perspective you should cheer for a 5-8 seed to get an extra game on campus.

I suppose the bye's being limited to conf champions adds some meaning but the focus will instead shift to the bubble teams just like March Madness. You're going to be force fed Penn St vs Rugters or Ole Miss vs Vandy week 12 because that's where the cutoff line will be.

There will also be incentive for the FSUs and Michigans of the world to go completely soft on non-conference because a 12-1 (or even 11-2 if you're a blueblood) power 5 4 result even if only 7 of those games were power conference will still get you in.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Told You So Comedy GIF by NETFLIX

Zzen

Potato del Grande
Nice, Michigan is gonna get curbstomped by Bama and end up winless in the CFP lol.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Texas vs Bama rematch for the title. Can’t believe Bama gets the first round bye.

• 1Double Worf
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Nah, our weakness is our secondary. Washington is the one team I didn’t want.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Well Foggy Foggy here is how you beat us. Throw 9/10 passes at #25 and run up the middle. #25 is our biggest liability on defense. Our O-Line are great pass blockers but our interior 3 do not get a lot of push when we run up th middle. That said they actually had some push on the last game against Oregon, but that is the only time I have seen it in the last two months.

Our Receivers are finally healthy so good luck trying to cover both Odunze and McMillan.

Kaines

Potato Supreme
The CFP just proved that all 12 regular season games are meaningless

• 2Like
  • 2Picard
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Delly

Trakanon Raider
These rankings make it easier to argue that OSU's natty should be vacated. Thank jebus for that. Can't win with a backup QB!

Thankfully Michigan just has to play better than Auburn.

• 1Moron

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The CFP just proved that all 12 regular season games are meaningless
Which means the 12 game playoff system might as well get implemented as to finally deal with the "Undefeated" situation.

• 1Like

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well Foggy Foggy here is how you beat us. Throw 9/10 passes at #25 and run up the middle. #25 is our biggest liability on defense. Our O-Line are great pass blockers but our interior 3 do not get a lot of push when we run up th middle. That said they actually had some push on the last game against Oregon, but that is the only time I have seen it in the last two months.

Our Receivers are finally healthy so good luck trying to cover both Odunze and McMillan.
You don’t have to tell me, Sark already knows.