2023-2024 NFL Season : Arizona's QB Search Continues

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider
You know there's replays you can watch where it's very easy to hear the PA, right?

And trying to get the refs involved to help you deceive another team puts this right into YGWYFD territory.

And as far as "What do they do?" They do literally anything other than run a play designed to throw the ball to an ineligible receiver
Yes, because I'm sure the broadcast feed's audio is totally going to be 1:1 what you're able to hear in a stadium :rolleyes:

That's pretty weak. Yes, it's a trick play. So it's YGWYFD territory because the refs fucked up despite the players doing everything right? Really? What level do we need to dumb down playcalling to accommodate shitty refs?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Yes, because I'm sure the broadcast feed's audio is totally going to be 1:1 what you're able to hear in a stadium :rolleyes:

That's pretty weak. Yes, it's a trick play. So it's YGWYFD territory because the refs fucked up despite the players doing everything right? Really? What level do we need to dumb down playcalling to accommodate shitty refs?

Now you're just going full retard.

NFL hates deceptive plays. Skipper making the motion to declare himself eligible on the 2 point attempt and then saying the refs should have known it was a trick and played along is you either not knowing anything about football, or just being a delusional homer.

The whole system is set up so teams can't be deceptive about it, yet the Lions tried to negate that and be deceptive anyways. Absolutely got what they fucking deserve and Lions are just making themselves look like giant pussies about the whole thing

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider
Now you're just going full retard.

NFL hates deceptive plays. Skipper making the motion to declare himself eligible on the 2 point attempt and then saying the refs should have known it was a trick and played along is you either not knowing anything about football, or just being a delusional homer.

The whole system is set up so teams can't be deceptive about it, yet the Lions tried to negate that and be deceptive anyways. Absolutely got what they fucking deserve and Lions are just making themselves look like giant pussies about the whole thing
I haven't seen any video of Skipper making any motion to declare himself eligible. As far as I'm aware, all he did was run toward the ref while Decker was declaring. If he did do that, I'll admit it's shitty and the Lions got what they deserved. Assuming he didn't, I'd say it was valid deception - it's just an intentional red herring to fuck with the defense while they should have had the correct information in front of them (if the refs did their job correctly).

I have no problem with this loophole being totally closed though - have some way to mark an eligible receiver without involving the refs. The less that is actually in their hands, the better.

Honestly, the only thing I'm pissed off about, again, is we have a shitty ref, with a long history of being shitty, fucking up yet again in a way that screws a team either way - no matter what, someone got screwed the minute he declared the wrong player. Then, instead of taking any ownership, proceeds to lie, essentially calling all the other players involved liars and then getting protected by the league. Fuck him and his team's call on this play, the tripping penalty, and the multitude of other things he's botched.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider
Maybe watch the video before making this kind of statement.
What video? I watched it happen live, looked at what espn had, and just tried to find a different view - I couldn't see Skipper do anything other than run towards the field. All I'm coming up with on youtube are dickheads with reaction videos.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
What video? I watched it happen live, looked at what espn had, and just tried to find a different view - I couldn't see Skipper do anything other than run towards the field. All I'm coming up with on youtube are dickheads with reaction videos.

Was linked in this thread. The "memo" the NFL sent out had a video where you can see Skipper motioning towards the ref while running out. He had done that twice previously in the game and I'm guessing he screwed it up and did it that time when he shouldn't have. That's why the ref looks and points at him.

Lions have to realize they screwed up at this point and their excuses don't make any sense when you see the whole thing. Zero chance Campbell went to the refs before the game and said "Ok we have a special play where #70 runs out and signals he's the eligible receiver but it's really going to be #68 who will be holding hands with #58 while they both remain motionless. That's the super secret signal that #68 is the real eligible receiver"

I get Lions fans have their whole identity as blaming the refs for all their team's failures, but they have nobody to blame but themselves for this one

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
I highly doubt it was audible over the PA system. That was probably one of the loudest times ever in that stadium. Even then, how would they have said something, they had no time outs. It's a shitty situation that shouldn't have happened caused by gross incompetence of a ref with a history of gross incompetence.

What was going on with that tripping call? Did the refs ever address it?
Want me to go find the video, it was audible over the PA.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
It's crazy that the linemen just run up and say "report". That's what 68 says he did in that press conference, "I went to the ref and said report." They purposely had extra linemen at the ref when he simply heard someone yell "report". God damn you for making me defend those refs, but fuck if I can blame him for not being 100% sure who just said that single word through all the crowd noise and assuming it was the same guy as before. The picture I see has 68 and 58 standing in front of the ref, so I don't know where he got 70. However, I remember the announcers saying it looked like 3 linemen were reporting so maybe #70 was the third guy.

Zero chance Campbell went to the refs before the game and said "Ok we have a special play where #70 runs out and signals he's the eligible receiver but it's really going to be #68 who will be holding hands with #58 while they both remain motionless. That's the super secret signal that #68 is the real eligible receiver"

I dunno man, we had a video posted of a talking head saying that's exactly what happens before every game. I can't remember his name, but I recognized he used to be a coach.

Kaines

Potato Supreme
I dunno man, we had a video posted of a talking head saying that's exactly what happens before every game. I can't remember his name, but I recognized he used to be a coach.
Rex Ryan

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Thread has reached full Cowboys retard. Will be nice when they're eliminated.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
I thought the lions got hosed on the call until I saw the video where they announced 70 eligible, the refs are horrible though they called tripping on the wrong team. They got cute and tricked the refs, I bet the right guy reported and they called the wrong number, they showed they couldn’t distinguish between teams let alone numbers.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
After seeing that again, I didn't realize he made the announcement before they even went to the huddle. So much for the whinging about not being able to correct it because time was running out.

Oh, a fucking ryan? Forget what I said. He was probably lying.

People really need to check out the memo the NFL put out. The video is pretty damning against the Lions who are going full Mahomes by still pretending like they got shafted

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
People really need to check out the memo the NFL put out. The video is pretty damning against the Lions who are going full Mahomes by still pretending like they got shafted
Lions shafted themselves by going for 2 after getting penalties. Just dumb coaching.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider
Yep, saw the video, I didn't bother before because I figured it was some dumb boilerplate footage. Not going to place all the blame on the official, Skipper did rub his jersey as he was running onto the field - you couldn't see that from the broadcast feed's angle. Technically, the ref also has to hear him say reporting, but that's some weasely technicality bullshit. I'm fine with eating crow over it, I think the subterfuge went a too far and blew up in their face. I'd be fine with it if Skipper didn't go through any of the motions of reporting, but he definitely did.

Still not positive you'd actually be able to hear the PA while on the field - the tv/radio feeds I'm sure have a direct tie to the PA that they can pot up (and pot down the crowd noise). Every game I've been to, the PA sounds like muffled garbage and is completely drowned out if the crowd gets loud. Doesn't really matter though, Lions got what they deserved there.

Better now than a playoff game at least. I still think Brad Allen sucks and shouldn't be a ref in this league. Still curious how the league explained away what happened with the tripping call.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Watching all the cowboy fans dogpile the kob guy is great.

I thought kobayashi was a cowboy fan. Are we supposed to be dogpiling?

Was that posted here? Don't think I saw it.