28mm Miniature Tabletop Wargaming Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Jx3

Riddle me this...
Because its awesome!

Also due to finally being done my exams I can't decide if I want to nuke my Blood Angels and repaint them or to make an Eldar army.

fucker_sl

shitlord
Blood Angels....

3619-Blood%20Angels,%20Comic,%20Humor,%20Mat%20Ward,%20Matt%20Ward,%20Necrons,%20Space%20Marines.jpg

3619-Blood%20Angels,%20Comic,%20Humor,%20Mat%20Ward,%20Matt%20Ward,%20Necrons,%20Space%20Marines.jpg

Jx3

Riddle me this...
Yeah i don't want to go into a 20 page rant against Ward but holy fuck Lrn2lore. I'm thinking of repainting them Iron hands or Sons of Medusa, I just want an excuse to paint more tech-marines

Enob

Golden Knight of the Realm
Starting a 40K Necron army. Have only bought the battleforce (20 warriors, 5 immortals, 5 scarabs, 1 ghost/doomsday ark) and a command/annihilation barge. Gives me a fieldable base of about 800 points. Looking to start a solid 1850 point army that can be scaled down to different game sizes and any feedback would be great.

HQ- 210 pts
Overlord in Command Barge (Warscythe, Sempiternal Weave, Mindschackle Scarabs)

Troops

Squad 1- 287 pts
9x Warriors
1x Cryptek (Harbinger of Destruction, Solar Pulse)
1x Ghost Ark transport

Squad 2- 267 pts
9x Warriors
1x Cryptek (Harbinger of Destruction)
1x Ghost Ark transport

Squad 3- 270 pts
10x Immortals (haven't decided between gauss blasters or tesla carbines)
1x Night Scythe transport

Squad 4- 270 pts
10x Immortals (haven't decided between gauss blasters or tesla carbines)
1x Night Scythe transport

Fast Attack

Squad 1- 60 pts
1x Heavy Destroyer

Squad 2- 60 pts
1x Heavy Destroyer

Squad 3- 60 pts
1x Heavy Destroyer

Heavy Support

1x Annihilation Barge - 90 pts
1x Annihilation Barge - 90 pts
1x Doom Scythe - 175 pts

1839 points

Have lots of troops for scoring and all in durable (13/13/11 or 11/11/11 flying) transports for speed, maneuverability, and lots of shots against spammy armies. Crypteks roaming with the warriors give them a 36" str 8, ap 2 shot for added firepower and solar pulse for manipulating some night fighting. Three flyers without sacrificing ground troops with good firepower on each (2x anti-infantry/light vehicles, 1x anti-heavy infantry/tanks). Good all around support fire from the annihilation barges which also double as good anti-air with the tesla weapons (4x S7 twin-linked shots that hit 3x on 6's and 2x S6 shots that hit the same). Doom Scythe for popping the heaviest and most expensive targets it can find. Between the barges and scythes enemy air shouldn't be an issue. Heavy destroyers will hop around the backfield since they're squishy and act as "heavy sniper" support. With their long range (move 12" fire 36") and preferred enemy (everything) they can pick off heavy infantry and tanks from far away. Having them in 3 seperate units means they have no rez protocols but gives them more versatility in targets and maneuverability. A toss up kind of.

Overall

Pros: 41 troops, 38 of them scoring with rez protocols and 2x ghost arks with additional rezzing for infantry sustainability. 5x 13/13/11 ground vehicles, 3x 11/11/11 zooming flyers for vehicle sustainability. Lots of rapid fire infantry and tesla should counter any blob armies. Tons of high str weapons will trash any vehicle heavy armies. Solid air force and anti-air.

Cons: Will get trashed if engaged in melee and only 5 heavy weapons shoot over 24"....but that's Necrons. Need to properly abuse the 12"-"24" range to keep out of charges and use solar pulses, night fighting, and possibly flyers to keep long range threats inactive or dead.

Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Achilles' Heels?

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
Alright, have some good friends in town that absolutely love Warmahordes. Me and a friend who were trying to get a few other guys out of having the bar scene as their only hobby picked up some starter boxes and ended up building up our armies solely as a response to each other's tactics which isn't playing out well now that I'm going up against the city pros with my very specific Cryx army. Getting steamrolled now and when I'm not it's due to these guys throwing me a bone and taking really odd army make-ups out so that I don't just continually lose and just quit. The Warmahordes friends all refuse to do 40k, a lot of Games Workshop hate with the big players in town, which was my first tabletop and I've got a gigantic point value Dark Angels army and then a leftover Dark Eldar force from the second box set that I grabbed. I was also working at a hobby shop at the time and got to put in a request to Games Workshop every year for us to be a licensed dealer so we got a ton of free models from the boxes they would send and I was casting resin warships for a local prop studio so whatever we couldn't grab for free we could buy a couple models and I could mold and cast (also made the first rule change that we went through odd when I was able to field a 25 man Deathwing force for a nominal price). I'm not sure that I want to get back into 40k since my army is from back in the day and it would take a ridiculous amount of cash to jump back in that I would rather spend on something that we can all play. Does anyone know of anything similar to Necromunda that's currently supported and still has the small gang + earning xp mechanic?

Also going to note that when me and my High School friends were playing 40k and building our armies we didn't really ever set up a traditional table. We played with tons of scenery/buildings and were trying to go for a house-to-house type thing so it ended up being a lot of micro managing individual squads and destroying buildings with rockets and multi-meltas to create choke points for whatever vehicles that we ended up grabbing (the assassin characters were a big game changer when they came out for us, my eversor had the most ridiculous kill count just stalking around and popping into a chaos controlled house and my little brother's vindicare was the most humorous thing on the field back when squad cohesion was a big part of the rules; tactical Space Wolf squads wandering around aimlessly after their Sgt. had been pooped off from an entire table length and then finally just wandering off of the edge). That's probably another big selling point for the Necromunda tactics and rule set for me.

Any info would be much appreciated. Thinking maybe Wings of Glory or the Star Wars alternative.

For those of you who enjoy Warhammer Fantasy, Warhammer 40k, and other tabletop wargames; my buddies and I host a general gaming podcast called "The Deployment Zone".

Unlike a majority of the standard gaming podcasts for Warhammer and 40k, we aren't located in the midwest but rather the Pacific Northwest.

Give us a listen if you are interested athttp://www.thedeploymentzone.comor on iTunes.

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
Anyone out there got a good free website/program/excel sheet for building armies in Warhammer 40k? I would have just sucked it up and bought Army Builder but last time I checked they charge you a yearly fee to keep using it so fuck that. I am looking mostly for Imperial Guard and my allies of Dark Angels (Termies and bikes)

Fury

Silver Knight of the Realm
Anyone out there got a good free website/program/excel sheet for building armies in Warhammer 40k? I would have just sucked it up and bought Army Builder but last time I checked they charge you a yearly fee to keep using it so fuck that. I am looking mostly for Imperial Guard and my allies of Dark Angels (Termies and bikes)
It's not a yearly fee to keep using it. It's only a yearly fee if you want to have it search for automatic updates. Otherwise you just have to manually import the updated files from thier website (which you can do directly from the program).

Chopxsticks_sl

shitlord
If you are willing to troll Ebay, and put a little work in, getting into Warhammer is not too bad. Always someone who buys a ton of stuff and feels overwhelmed and sells it. I highly suggest Easy Off oven cleaner and buy the worst fucking paint jobs you can. Save a ton of money!

I will have to look into that post cast, im located in Oregon so its nice to know something is going on around here.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Another beloved hobby that's been slowly going down the tubes due to poor management and greed. I started Warhammer in my early teens with a half dozen friends and eventually got my brother and his friends into it. We had a good run of a decade and a half before we threw in the towel (fuck you 8th edition fantasy and 6th edition 40k). I had a Chaos and Tomb Kings army and Wolves and Tyranids for 40k and I simply cannot play anymore. The rules were changed so blatently to promote ridiculous model requirements - IE, sales - that I just gave up. Add in the power inflation and dumbass lore/stories they churn out now (come on, 40k has some of the coolest lore ever; Read the following ASAP: Gaunt's Ghosts, Eisenhorn, Ravenor).

Anyway, I considered Warmachine/Hordes, but I just don't think I can start a new game and a new army, after the 4 I had.

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
Stupid question... I have an old chess board, but I've lost the pieces, and I was thinking to buy Warhammer miniatures to use them as chess pieces. The thing is, I've never actually saw one in real life, how small are they ? Can they be used as chess pieces ?

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Stupid question... I have an old chess board, but I've lost the pieces, and I was thinking to buy Warhammer miniatures to use them as chess pieces. The thing is, I've never actually saw one in real life, how small are they ? Can they be used as chess pieces ?
Sure and there is enough variety that you could use anything, basing who represented what, on size and badassness. Obviously not all chess boards are the same size, though. Be warned of price. Single models can cost 12-25 dollars each (non-mounted), but to get 8 pawns a side, would be 25-35 dollars for the lot, which isn't as bad.

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
Anyone out there know of a good modular table system that folds up nicely or is easily storable that is 4x8 or whatever the standard size is for 40k? My brothers and I are getting older and want to start moving our games from the geek store to one of our houses but doesn't want to keep up a huge table / sheet of plywood with sawhorses up all the time.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Anyone out there know of a good modular table system that folds up nicely or is easily storable that is 4x8 or whatever the standard size is for 40k? My brothers and I are getting older and want to start moving our games from the geek store to one of our houses but doesn't want to keep up a huge table / sheet of plywood with sawhorses up all the time.
get two 4x3 sections, put hinges on them, and then put the whole thing hinge down on top of a folding card table. Barely takes up any space at all when it's all put up.

Tea_sl

shitlord
Alright, have some good friends in town that absolutely love Warmahordes. Me and a friend who were trying to get a few other guys out of having the bar scene as their only hobby picked up some starter boxes and ended up building up our armies solely as a response to each other's tactics which isn't playing out well now that I'm going up against the city pros with my very specific Cryx army. Getting steamrolled now and when I'm not it's due to these guys throwing me a bone and taking really odd army make-ups out so that I don't just continually lose and just quit. The Warmahordes friends all refuse to do 40k, a lot of Games Workshop hate with the big players in town, which was my first tabletop and I've got a gigantic point value Dark Angels army and then a leftover Dark Eldar force from the second box set that I grabbed. I was also working at a hobby shop at the time and got to put in a request to Games Workshop every year for us to be a licensed dealer so we got a ton of free models from the boxes they would send and I was casting resin warships for a local prop studio so whatever we couldn't grab for free we could buy a couple models and I could mold and cast (also made the first rule change that we went through odd when I was able to field a 25 man Deathwing force for a nominal price). I'm not sure that I want to get back into 40k since my army is from back in the day and it would take a ridiculous amount of cash to jump back in that I would rather spend on something that we can all play. Does anyone know of anything similar to Necromunda that's currently supported and still has the small gang + earning xp mechanic?

Also going to note that when me and my High School friends were playing 40k and building our armies we didn't really ever set up a traditional table. We played with tons of scenery/buildings and were trying to go for a house-to-house type thing so it ended up being a lot of micro managing individual squads and destroying buildings with rockets and multi-meltas to create choke points for whatever vehicles that we ended up grabbing (the assassin characters were a big game changer when they came out for us, my eversor had the most ridiculous kill count just stalking around and popping into a chaos controlled house and my little brother's vindicare was the most humorous thing on the field back when squad cohesion was a big part of the rules; tactical Space Wolf squads wandering around aimlessly after their Sgt. had been pooped off from an entire table length and then finally just wandering off of the edge). That's probably another big selling point for the Necromunda tactics and rule set for me.

Any info would be much appreciated. Thinking maybe Wings of Glory or the Star Wars alternative.
First I urge you to stick with warmahordes. It's a phenomenal game, and by far the deepest most tactically challenging mini's game I've ever played. That tactical depth means you are going to lose a lot when you first start. A lot. Depending on how good your group you may have to play 50 games before you win. Some people see that as too steep a learning curve, but I see as depth.

Regardless though you should probably check outInfinity. It's a sci fi mini game that is skirmish sized and plays extremely terrain dense - typically as a city. The model line ranges from gorgeous to pervy as fuck to hideous, so some people are turned off by that. There are a ton of great city fighting rules, but they can get a little complex. There is also campaign system support, but I've never played with it. You can take a look through the rule bookRules.pdf]herefor free.

Lastly the Star Wars X-wing game is fucking fantastic, so if you decide neither warmahordes nor infinity are to your liking then you can't go wrong with that.

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
i attempt to play wm/hordes at a national level by going to all the big cons and the warmachine "invitational" tournaments and have been playing since 2003 i can not say enough good things about the game system.

here a few of the upcoming hordes gargantuans....
rrr_img_8136.jpg
rrr_img_8137.jpg

not all games are as asinine expensive to play as WH40k and WHFB. you can play warmachine with a lot more options for $150 than you can investing 500-600 into a new GW army (this is assuming retail price of things).

i actually really like the new dark angel models from GW and i have somewhere in the ballpark of $10-$15k worth of hobby stuff including some of the privateer $130 models (which usually makes up 1/3-1/2 of a warmachine army) but i just cant justify dropping $75 dollars on a dark angel airship which i may need 2 or three of, as well as 4+ boxes of deathwing which are 60ish each. With WM/hordes i can buy stuff piecemeal over a period of time and that 1 unit will impact my tabletop fun a lot more than if i add another 3-4 squads in a traditional 40k army.

i guess its different strokes for different folks though !