3 Body Problem

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I guarantee if you haven't read the books you will never, ever, ever guess how the story ends.

Challenge accepted.

So here's the real scoop. Tony Hawk and Rodney Mullen got tired of absolutely dominating every skateboarding competition they ever entered. But they kept practicing, and practicing, and practicing, until Rodney pulled off a one foot Casper into a Fakie Darkslide at the same time Tony hit his first nollie 900, which most people don't realize was actually the first 900. When this happened time actually stopped for everyone but Tony and Rodney. Years passed and they couldn't figure out how to unstop time, until one day Rodney realized that someone, somewhere else in the universe, must have pulled off the same kind of gnarly trick they did, at that exact moment. Of course. 2 people can't stop time, only 3 can. So they built a space ship out of decks, trucks, duct tape and old trucker hats to search for the solution. If they were ever going to fix this world they would need to work together to create the ultimate trick. Freestyle, Street and Vert all at once. It could only be done with 3 buddies, err bodies.

While all that was happening a bunch of nerds were stuck in Virtual Reality doing boring science shit to save the world

Last edited:
  • 2Worf
  • 1Mother of God
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 3 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
This Auggie bitch is the worst part of the show. She's absolutely insufferable and retarded.

• 5Solidarity
  • 3Like
Reactions: 7 users

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Not incredible but not bad so far.

Good to see Samwell Tarly and Davos Seaworth. Plus a decent amount of hot Asian chicks. 👍

• 2Like
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 2 users

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I enjoyed this show. It has been a while since I really enjoyed something on Netflix. The acting is well done and I like that there is not always the obvious outcome to a situation. I did not read the books but my wife had. She kind of summed up a little of the story.

Not only did the aliens evolve to dehydrate their bodies to the state shown, but there were times when parts of them would be eaten during this stage to prevent starvation. Kind of a Human beef jerky that when re-hydrated would make for missing arms and legs.

I love a good Sci-Fi that is not easily guessed.

I was honestly surprised when the probe mission failed. I then thought, " Oh I bet that was a ploy, and the real mission was already launched". Apparently not, as it seems the story is moving on.

Actually looking forward to season 2. The show is a solid 8.5/10 for me.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
I think someone already shared this but:

Haven't read the books but this YouTube channel covers the key interesting concepts.

"Dark Forest" theory of alien contact is the main one, not sure if it's in the show yet, but it's the theory that we haven't seen evidence of aliens because they are hiding from each other.

With the ease that close to light speed travel could destroy a planet via collision, it's most rational to wipe out anyone you find before they potentially wipe you out.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob
the dark forest stuff is a huge big twist of season 2 so i'd probably avoid clicking those kind of videos if you want to stay unspoiled

this is probably the most important scene in season 1 and pretty fascinating how many ways you can interpret it

ratings on imdb have creeped up from 6.3 to 7.7 now as more and more people have watched. be interesting to see what happens, Netflix paid a LOT to get the rights but I dunno if this show gets the kind of numbers they are looking for.

• 1Like

Khane

That scene, and that dialogue is absolutely terrible. It's not foreshadowing, it's ridiculous.

It's like taking the Twilight Zone glasses breaking theme and misunderstanding the entire premise, while having someone who is a terrible actor try to make it mean something.

And the worst part of that "gripping tale" is that character, specifically, has lived through worse than what she is describing. Jesus it's so bad.

• 1Like

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
the dark forest stuff is a huge big twist of season 2 so i'd probably avoid clicking those kind of videos if you want to stay unspoiled

this is probably the most important scene in season 1 and pretty fascinating how many ways you can interpret it

ratings on imdb have creeped up from 6.3 to 7.7 now as more and more people have watched. be interesting to see what happens, Netflix paid a LOT to get the rights but I dunno if this show gets the kind of numbers they are looking for.
We assumed it was a hidden message but we don't know what it means.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
I watched about 20 mins of the first episode, that Auggie chick is insufferable, I don't care how nice her tits are. She thinks that serious acting is pouty bitch face, apparently.

Anyway, my fav scene so far, so fast you may have missed it, is when Auggie comes back from the neurologist:

Chinese girl: So you went to the neurologist?

Pouty Bitchface: Yes.

Chinese girl: What did he say?

Pouty Bitchface, angrily: She.

Chinese girl: Right, jesus. What did she say?

• 1Like

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
I watched about 20 mins of the first episode, that Auggie chick is insufferable, I don't care how nice her tits are. She thinks that serious acting is pouty bitch face, apparently.

Anyway, my fav scene so far, so fast you may have missed it, is when Auggie comes back from the neurologist:

Chinese girl: So you went to the neurologist?

Pouty Bitchface: Yes.

Chinese girl: What did he say?

Pouty Bitchface, angrily: She.

Chinese girl: Right, jesus. What did she say?
We made the same joke at the time from the key and Peele pirate sketch.

Ome

Molten Core Raider
I feel this show wont grip the majority of people who watch it long term. Its pretty slow at times. It also suffers from their small immediate friend group has all the smartest people on the planet syndrome which doesn't feel realistic at all. The final 4 episodes got a bit more interesting though so maybe worth hanging in there if you are losing interest early on.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
They took major creative license with the overall story, but they kinda had to as most of the original book involves internal dialogue of the main character. They basically split the main character from the first book into 5 people and then had some of those people also serve equivalent roles from books 2 and 3. There's actually a LOT of book 2 and book 3 in this Netflix series. The main original book is effectively done by episode 4 and the remaining 4 episodes are a combination of plots from 2 and 3.

I figure they could finish off the story with a second season of 8 episodes if they really wanted to.

• 1Like

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Yeah, I knew nothing of this show or the books.

The actors you think will kick ass, generally are good.
Of course, suspend your belief when it comes to cops, news media, how can this happen etc. (when it comes to the non sci-fi parts)

I did not find it a bad few hours, I want to not look up the books and wait for whatever comes next.

Worth a shot, in my opinion.

Also the budget is crap, as I have tons of nitpicks regarding running a world saving company out of Downton !@#$ Abbey.

Last edited:

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I didn’t really like it overall. Won’t care if it doesn’t finish. Auggie is horrible, as others stated. I also was confused on the logic of the last couple episodes.

Why did the aliens blot out the entire sky, then just decide to let it come back and let the humans continue to make progress, use electricity, etc? For being hyper advanced and knowing what they need to do to ‘win’ over us they sure didn’t act like it.

I’m guessing the books did a much better job of explaining the logic that was being used in the show. The overall story was interesting enough I will probably read them someday, just the execution of the show and actors was meh.

Khane

My take on that was they were trying to provoke humans into even more rapid advancement for their own purposes. Otherwise making themselves known that far in advance seems... stupid?

But it doesn't explain why they were trying to stop advanced research and drive humanities best minds to madness and suicide.

Like you said the story is missing a lot of plot elements that would make it intriguing. There's a whole lot of "well, we want the plot to advance now, so this is gonna happen"

The Aliens being unaware of lies and deceit for 40+ years is fuckin LOL. They've been asking their human helpers to do exactly that the entire time.

Juvarisx

Florida
So can the photon things or whatever crash a plane of just give people hallucinations? I figure if it could fuck with a particle accelerator it could do anything, so why not just kill anyone working against the aliens actively?

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

lol wut? That was a fucking stupid parable lol.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So can the photon things or whatever crash a plane of just give people hallucinations? I figure if it could fuck with a particle accelerator it could do anything, so why not just kill anyone working against the aliens actively?
For plot reasons the alien interstellar supercomputer that's the size of an atom is limited. It can only cause global phenomena, spy on all written, spoken, and recorded media simultaneously, and cause individual level hallucinations.

It can't actually kill people. Now that'd be ridiculous.

• 1Worf

Juvarisx

Florida
For plot reasons the alien interstellar supercomputer that's the size of an atom is limited. It can only cause global phenomena, spy on all written, spoken, and recorded media simultaneously, and cause individual level hallucinations.

It can't actually kill people. Now that'd be ridiculous.

I was more referring to that final scene with Thomas Wade in the airplane. It was clearly giving him hallucinations unless that thing can control the weather, so in that case could it not then give them to the piolet losing control of the airplane? Or fucking with the auto piolet? Seems simpler then using a dude to shoot the wallfacer.