38 studios Auction Nov 14th and 15th.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Was it ever confirmed the stories about employees mortgages not being paid but not told this and and the deal about health insurance being cancelled and finding out by going to the Dr etc?

If those were true it makes the fire sale going on at Schillings house hilarious and deserved.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
The schadenfreude I experienced listening to that video for the past hour has filled my quota of guilty pleasures for the next decade.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Yep. It varies, but server, hosting, bandwidth and other infrastructure costs around about $6 per person on average, which means out of a $15 dollar fee you make about $9 (60%) to cover everything else.
There is no way those costs go up that linearly. That implies WoW spends upwards of $42,000,000 a month on the expenditures you mention. Doesn't seem likely at all.

Silence_sl

shitlord
Was it ever confirmed the stories about employees mortgages not being paid but not told this and and the deal about health insurance being cancelled and finding out by going to the Dr etc?

If those were true it makes the fire sale going on at Schillings house hilarious and deserved.
It was confirmed in a lawsuit some time ago. 38S utterly fucked some people by not paying mortgages and letting them lapse. No job, no credit for you! Also there was at least one employee whose pregnant wife only found out about cancelled health care when she went in for a check up. She was one of the spouses of imaginary home loans. No job, bad credit, no house, no health care....all from 38S shitbags.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Seems to me game developers know shit about business and long term cost progression. Looking at Denauts posts show this. No need to estimate and guess. Hire a fucking standard engineer.

Schags

Bronze Knight of the Realm
It was confirmed in a lawsuit some time ago. 38S utterly fucked some people by not paying mortgages and letting them lapse. No job, no credit for you! Also there was at least one employee whose pregnant wife only found out about cancelled health care when she went in for a check up. She was one of the spouses of imaginary home loans. No job, bad credit, no house, no health care....all from 38S shitbags.
Some got stuck with relocation fees as well. Anyone hired in the January-May time frame of 2012 had the moving company going after them for the cost of their relocation that was supposed to be paid by 38 but never was.

Silence_sl

shitlord
Some got stuck with relocation fees as well. Anyone hired in the January-May time frame of 2012 had the moving company going after them for the cost of their relocation that was supposed to be paid by 38 but never was.
CS is going to find out the hard way that being incorporated isn't a shield against criminal endeavors. Hell, the civil side of bad faith contracts alone should scare him to suicide.

KoA was a very successful game. The only reason it didn't make 38 Studios any money is because the deal with EA went down something like this:

38 Studios: Hey EA, please give us $15-20m and your guidance from the Bioware guys to finish Reckoning and you can, umm... have alll the profits until sales reach say 4- no 5 million copies sold! It'll be at least as popular as Skyrim so we should be good.

EA: Sure! /shitfacedgrin

Chaffe, being the consummate idiot that he is, looked at this arrangement and not understanding that KoA sold extremely well for any game, much less a new IP, stood in front of the world and declared Reckoning a total flop.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
CS is going to find out the hard way that being incorporated isn't a shield against criminal endeavors. Hell, the civil side of bad faith contracts alone should scare him to suicide.
Massive failure aside it's pretty ironic how much shit people give CS, given that he's selling everything he owns to pay off the note instead of just filing bankruptcy and giving his debtors the finger.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Massive failure aside it's pretty ironic how much shit people give CS, given that he's selling everything he owns to pay off the note instead of just filing bankruptcy and giving his debtors the finger.
It's pretty common that people love to watch a good failure.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Didn't he already give his emloyees the finger by letting them find out their medical insurance wasn't being paid by being told that by the dr ?

Why does he deserve anything but disgust at choosing to handle the stuation in that manner ?

Denaut

Trump's Staff
There is no way those costs go up that linearly. That implies WoW spends upwards of $42,000,000 a month on the expenditures you mention. Doesn't seem likely at all.
*sigh*

You are being pedantic. For the sake of brevity I didn't explain that hosting costs varies for many reasons including volume, server requirements, time-frame, and hosting type (up-time guarantees, etc). I used the subscriber numbers I already estimated, assumed technical requirements based on leaked footage and what we know about the gameplay (WoW clone), and high up-time standards which any large AAA MMORPG would need at launch.

So how about you comment on something relevant in my post or admit you were wrong. It's cool, you can be wrong, the devil isn't going to come take your soul or anything. I am wrong and learn new things all the time by people who know more about a subject than I do.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Chaffe, being the consummate idiot that he is, looked at this arrangement and not understanding that KoA sold extremely well for any game, much less a new IP, stood in front of the world and declared Reckoning a total flop.
What probably happened is that someone told him the number of copies KoA:R needed to sell in order to make money for 38 and that number was 2x-3x higher than it did sell. From a purely practical standpoint thatisa flop. To Chafee that sounds like a failure, which makes sense as if someone told me something similar about a product in an industry I knew little about I would assume the same thing.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
I think the schadenfreude for this situation in particular comes from Curt's massive hypocrisy. One thing that really seems to go up people's gourds is someone not practicing what they preach. For others it is also a little more personal, since it was public money taxpayers feel cheated out of their hard-earned money.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
They would still take nearly everything in a bankruptcy sale anyway.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
*sigh*

You are being pedantic. For the sake of brevity I didn't explain that hosting costs varies for many reasons including volume, server requirements, time-frame, and hosting type (up-time guarantees, etc). I used the subscriber numbers I already estimated, assumed technical requirements based on leaked footage and what we know about the gameplay (WoW clone), and high up-time standards which any large AAA MMORPG would need at launch.

So how about you comment on something relevant in my post or admit you were wrong. It's cool, you can be wrong, the devil isn't going to come take your soul or anything. I am wrong and learn new things all the time by people who know more about a subject than I do.
I'm not going to comment on your wall of text that consisted of first year Econ knowledge and values you pulled from your ass... And then miscalculated on top of it.... No thanks.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
I'm not going to comment on your wall of text that consisted of first year Econ knowledge and values you pulled from your ass... And then miscalculated on top of it.... No thanks.
What was incorrect exactly? Honestly, if we work together we can revise the numbers, improve the estimates, and more accurately prove you wrong.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
The fact that you totally ignore potential revenue from box sales? Your ridiculously low estimates of sub numbers? Your over the top $6 per person per month estimate for hosting and infrastructure?