38 studios Auction Nov 14th and 15th.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
38 never, ever had a chance of turning a profit. That place was an utterly dysfunctional mess being run by completely incompetent people.

After Schilling burned through millions of his own dollars he turned to every ball player and private firm he could find, everyone turned him down because 38 was a stupidly bad investment. This was when the people running the RIEDC and private its backers realized they could use Curt and the studio to skim money from taxpayers by taking fees on a deal the state had no business being involved in. It was always a scam because the RIEDC had to publicly make the deal look great by inflating numbers and Schilling would have agreed to literally any terms to get that money because he had absolutely no other choice other than go out of business.

By far the best move was what Chafee did by not releasing the extra funds once 38 started missing payments. There was no point in throwing good money after bad and causing the company to collapse sooner rather than later was by far the best option. RI was never going to see a cent of that money back and in the end, after recovering as much as they could from all parties involved, the state seems to only be on the hook for a few million rather than the tens of millions they would have wasted had they kept shoveling money into that furnace.

I'm not sure why you quoted me, but thanks and good post.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I really enjoyed the gameplay and the story, but it got so monotonous and boring that I never finished it.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
This could turn it around for Rhode Island!

• 3Like
  • 3Worf
Reactions: 5 users

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Did 38 even make this game? I thought they just bought it nearly completed and took over or something.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Did 38 even make this game? I thought they just bought it nearly completed and took over or something.
Pretty much. They bought it and slapped their lore/story shit into it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
I thought they had Big Huge Games work on Amalur while 38 Studios worked on just the MMO?

• 1Like

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Last edited:
  • 1Like

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
Hope Curt doesnt get a fucking Penny, but i think he fucked that all off already.

McFly

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Imagine a world where game developers didn't pander to the female minority and actually made a game that appealed to a young man. I guess I'm too old to even care about this shite.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Shit article. Political hit job by fake news enemy of the people. Guilty by association is something people on these forums should be very wary of.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Shit article. Political hit job by fake news enemy of the people. Guilty by association is something people on these forums should be very wary of.

Curt will be in bracelets within 10 days....you think one embezzlement was enough?

• 1Faggotry
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Curt will be in bracelets within 10 days....you think one embezzlement was enough?

Maybe, but how about we wait for some evidence to come out before jerking off over an article that is a thinly veiled attempt to attack Trump and Trump supporters.

And there was a lot of mistakes made with 38 studios, but embezzlement? You sure?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Maybe, but how about we wait for some evidence to come out before jerking off over an article that is a thinly veiled attempt to attack Trump and Trump supporters.

And there was a lot of mistakes made with 38 studios, but embezzlement? You sure?

Not that it's a nail in the coffin by any means - but could you/would you really say that there is/was no suspicion of fraud pertaining to 38 Studios? The guy could be an upstanding citizen of the US for all I know. But.. you cant sit here and say that this type of fraud isnt rampant across many industries abroad. On one side, I hope that Curt didnt fall victim to donating to this scandal and donate any effort or money to this scandal. The other side of me is sitting here saying - "This guy is well connected and has a name that inspires many, how can he not be apart of this?"

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I tend to believe accusations or discussions of criminality or criminal language be dealt with things like evidence. What evidence is there that even points in the direction of Curt defrauding anyone? Closest thing to fraud would be him being (or at least trying to be) generous to employees with compensation and benefits and not being able to deliver. He didn't seem to lie or mislead to get government fiunding, either, just shit was poorly managed and imploded, imo just as much did to politics being involved than any scheme on Curt's part. And he lost his fortune, so, pretty bad frauding there.

Star Citizen is a better example of fraud. Though even then, probably technically not, at least yet.