38 studios Auction Nov 14th and 15th.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Well, the problem is the state's auctioneer seems to think they are a tad more valuable than reality dictates, so it seems unlikely they'll accept any offer. And the shit has a shelf life - something else they don't seem to understand.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Well, the problem is the state's auctioneer seems to think they are a tad more valuable than reality dictates, so it seems unlikely they'll accept any offer. And the shit has a shelf life - something else they don't seem to understand.
Course they think that , Curt say's it's a billion dollar IP/franchise , so it must be true............

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
As a Rhode Islander I feel ashamed, RI killed the best MMO we never had... The Guvnuh and Curt even had there first meeting about a minute drive from my house...

Seriously, I don't feel the idea of the Loan was a bad idea. Sounds like the terms and RI's crappy understanding of the genre/market along with Curts mismanagement fucked things. But I feel the idea of the Loan in it self was a good risk to take. Even with more due diligence and better terms it could have still blown up but the risk was worth taking.

I still love Curt, dude came on a Sox board chat room I was lurking whilst he was considering accepting the trade to the Red Sox. Talked about what Olsen twin he wanted to fuck the most.. EQ, how the negotiations were going... tons of shit.. All with the biggest career decision of his life having to be made in the morning and apparently undecided.

So he won Boston two WS, played a fuck ton of early EQ, posted on my two favorite boards, sonsofsamhorn and foh, and was a cool dude thats going to get into the baseball hall of fame, and probably belongs in the mmo gamers hall of fame also.

Thats a pretty epic life even with the failure of his mmo.

OneofOne

Speaking for myself only, I think the guy's an arrogant douche. If he *just* ran a company into the ground, I'd laugh a bit and move on. But the hubris of the man, combined with how he really fucked up the lives of numerous of his employees (not intentionally, but out of terror, ignorance, and arrogance), and the fact he STILL blames the RI Gov for his downfall (he was a big part of it, but Curt, too, helped dig his own grave), makes it more than that. Not like I hate the guy or something. He's just a naive child-man, but unfortunately in this instance his naivete hurt other people, not the least of which are the taxpayers of RI.

Nosf_sl

shitlord
It always made me laugh that the new Governor who wanted to sink the whole thing went on to badmouth the product that they were trying to auction off for as much as possible to recoup their costs. I didn't follow the politics of it all that much but it really struck me as a rather petty to keep trying to get his licks in even when it was costing him and everyone else money. It does sort of sound like the assets are going to collect dust, kind of shame, what they did show at least looked good.

OneofOne

Well, at least Curt can afford healthcare, unlike his employees when he let them go.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Hey maybe he'll ironically not be able to get pain killers if he needs them and then his doctor will have the nurse inform him in the parking lot that he's one of the patients being dropped form that provider!

Wait, what? Oops, wrong thread.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Hey maybe he will find out his healthcare is canceled in his time of need, just like what happened to his employees.
I'm sure he has a pretty comprehensive healthcare package under ESPN. Rich people tend to be fine in these scenarios.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Smedley's remark about the auction is interesting (and the way I felt about it too , not as a gaming industry person though so had no idea what an IP like that was worth , just seemed to me not worth buying )

" anyone with a brain could have told them no one would buy it. They contacted us and I told them so."