38 Studios

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
No, it was stated he took out some loans and personally guaranteed them. Not the business - him.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
As far as anyone know the money he invested as all liquid assets in the first place. Not really sure why he would have needed more.
And any money the company owes he is not personally liable for. not even close. Especially in a company like that. Even a small privately owned business with 1 owner. its separate.

Possible hes raising cash to donate to the employees? dunno.
It was mentioned numerous times, in numerous articles and on these boards that he had personally backed loans to 38. Otherwise why the fuck would a bank have lent a start-up millions of dollars with no collateral? Banks don't do that kind of shit. My business has been around for 50 years and has to jump through hoops to keep a 400k line of credit in place that we don't even use, without giving up personal guarantees. You're right that if a company defaults on a loan that the bank can't go after the owners, executives or managers. Unless of course personal guarantees are involved. And in many if not most cases, they are. Banks aren't in the habit of lending to companies unless they have some sort of security in place, which is often the owner's house and other assets.

The fact that Schilling went out and did this is all the evidence you need that the management of the company was either completely retarded, or completely unable to control him. It was an absolutely idiotic decision on his part. If I remember right, he personally guaranteed a 4 million dollar loan a couple months before the company imploded last year, to say nothing of the tens of millions he sunk it to the company previously. He'll be on the hook for all of that, and anything else he backed.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
I don't know about you guys but I'm still waiting for my destiny collector card for liking reckoning on facebook.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
It was mentioned numerous times, in numerous articles and on these boards that he had personally backed loans to 38. .
Which, allegedly, he used Rhode Island funds to pay back to get out of his personal guarantee once he saw that Rhode Island would be on the hook and not himself, once 38 defaulted.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/05/1...gling-company/

Whether or not that is actually true will be up to the courts and the evidence. But speculation has it that once he took this loan from the state, he immediately paid off the 3 or so million in collateral he laid down to receive original funding with that money and as such, would be free from personal accountability.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Jail time. Kurt knows it takes the experience of being in prison to acquire the knoweldge to successfully run a MMO company.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Which, allegedly, he used Rhode Island funds to pay back to get out of his personal guarantee once he saw that Rhode Island would be on the hook and not himself, once 38 defaulted.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/05/1...gling-company/

Whether or not that is actually true will be up to the courts and the evidence. But speculation has it that once he took this loan from the state, he immediately paid off the 3 or so million in collateral he laid down to receive original funding with that money and as such, would be free from personal accountability.
Ouch. Yeah if that's true, he's going to get his shit pushed in.

Well actually, we will all get our shit pushed in since he'll need special treatment etc.. which we tax payers get to pay for.

spronk

FPS noob
there is nothing illegal and in fact its fairly common to use rounds of funding to cover repayments of loans, as long as the accounting is all correct - ie cant loan $3m and repay yourself $10m. I think you are deluding yourself if you think anyone at 38S is ever going to be held responsible for throwing away $150m+.

I still can't believe someone spent $92k on his sock, but I guess they were expecting a lot more. I don't know much about baseball, is Curt a lock in for hall of fame?

I don't know about you guys but I'm still waiting for my destiny collector card for liking reckoning on facebook.
I'm still waiting for the first patch that ups difficulty.
frown.png

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
there is nothing illegal and in fact its fairly common to use rounds of funding to cover repayments of loans,
Not when it is a public funded/backed government issued loan and the usage of those public funds is to payback personal funds vested.

Unless that is state governed and is legal in the state of Rhode island. Either way, using public funds to offset private loans? That doesn't sound on the up and up.

Well actually, we will all get our shit pushed in since he'll need special treatment etc.. which we tax payers get to pay for.
Yep
frown.png

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
is Curt a lock in for hall of fame?
I think it is safe to say he *was* a lock. Now? Who knows. Not sure if this scandal will be big enough to sink his chances; if he goes to jail for something, though, that would probably screw him.

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
Was it ever uncovered where all that money went? Was it literally just a bloated staff?

Moorgard_sl

shitlord
The fact that Schilling went out and did this is all the evidence you need that the management of the company was either completely retarded, or completely unable to control him. It was an absolutely idiotic decision on his part. If I remember right, he personally guaranteed a 4 million dollar loan a couple months before the company imploded last year, to say nothing of the tens of millions he sunk it to the company previously. He'll be on the hook for all of that, and anything else he backed.
I won't address Curt's personal finances. It's easy to mock his actions, given how things turned out. But I want this to be known: He didn't put up his personal money out of ego or hubris. He did it because he cared about all of us and was willing to do anything he could to keep things going. Contrast this with countless executives who, at the first sign of trouble, cash out their golden parachutes and ride money yachts into the sunset. He could have done that a long time before things went bad. He didn't, even though he was advised to, and despite how clearly it was to his personal detriment to stick it out.

Curt went down with the ship. He didn't lock us out of the building or hide away while someone else fired us. He pretty much slept in the office that last week, trying to make any deal he could to stave off the inevitable. He spent those last few days walking through the building, talking to people, apologizing to everyone, saying whatever he could despite the pain he and the rest of us were in. The last time I saw him, we shared a long hug goodbye, both of us in tears. He never ran away and hid. That's the kind of man he is.

Call him a lousy businessman if you want; the burning husk of 38 is all you need to make your case. Say he made foolish decisions; you're unaware of the many good ones he made, but go ahead and focus on the bad. But realize that he was a different kind of boss, and above all else, just a genuinely good guy who wanted to see his team succeed. The world needs more people like Curt, not fewer--hopefully learning from past mistakes rather than repeating them.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
It's really cool of you to stand by your friend in these times to let people know he took care of you emotionally. But there's A LOT of ethical questions here that far outreach your personal relationship with the guy who handed out the Kool Aid. I think most of us are addressing that. Curt cant hug his way out of explaining what the fuck happened to vast amounts of cash that could have been used for literally a myriad of public works or god forbid something other than video games.

And while I love the whole "Blame the government they were dumb enough to give us moneys." He spent it. Then he bashed FoH, not just the trolls but pretty much every gamer here. Very hard to sympathize.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
It's really cool of you to stand by your friend in these times to let people know he took care of you emotionally. But there's A LOT of ethical questions here that far outreach your personal relationship with the guy who handed out the Kool Aid. I think most of us are addressing that. Curt cant hug his way out of explaining what the fuck happened to vast amounts of cash that could have been used for literally a myriad of public works or god forbid something other than video games.

And while I love the whole "Blame the government they were dumb enough to give us moneys." He spent it. Then he bashed FoH, not just the trolls but pretty much every gamer here. Very hard to sympathize.
This.

Hopefully the taxpayers ya'll fleeced will have the "awe shucks" forgiving attitude you do, right?

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
He didn't lock us out of the building or hide away while someone else fired us.
Yeah. He just watched as several people's homes were foreclosed on via mortgage defaults in which those homes were supposed to be already sold after relocation, and employees of the company told they WERE sold, people having their health insurance turned down while popping out a kid, while everyone was fired with an email with Curt no where in sight. Didn't hide away while someone else fired you? Did you forget the public reports?
rolleyes.png

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I won't address Curt's personal finances. It's easy to mock his actions, given how things turned out. But I want this to be known: He didn't put up his personal money out of ego or hubris. He did it because he cared about all of us and was willing to do anything he could to keep things going. Contrast this with countless executives who, at the first sign of trouble, cash out their golden parachutes and ride money yachts into the sunset. He could have done that a long time before things went bad. He didn't, even though he was advised to, and despite how clearly it was to his personal detriment to stick it out.

Curt went down with the ship. He didn't lock us out of the building or hide away while someone else fired us. He pretty much slept in the office that last week, trying to make any deal he could to stave off the inevitable. He spent those last few days walking through the building, talking to people, apologizing to everyone, saying whatever he could despite the pain he and the rest of us were in. The last time I saw him, we shared a long hug goodbye, both of us in tears. He never ran away and hid. That's the kind of man he is.

Call him a lousy businessman if you want; the burning husk of 38 is all you need to make your case. Say he made foolish decisions; you're unaware of the many good ones he made, but go ahead and focus on the bad. But realize that he was a different kind of boss, and above all else, just a genuinely good guy who wanted to see his team succeed. The world needs more people like Curt, not fewer--hopefully learning from past mistakes rather than repeating them.
You do realize he fucked over many of his employees, right?

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Curt went down with the ship. He didn't lock us out of the building or hide away while someone else fired us. He pretty much slept in the office that last week, trying to make any deal he could to stave off the inevitable. He spent those last few days walking through the building, talking to people, apologizing to everyone, saying whatever he could despite the pain he and the rest of us were in. The last time I saw him, we shared a long hug goodbye, both of us in tears. He never ran away and hid. That's the kind of man he is. The world needs more people like Curt, not fewer--hopefully learning from past mistakes rather than repeating them.

The Truth_sl said:
On May 24, the entire 38 Studios staff waslaid off via e-mail.They hadn't been paid since the end of the previous month, but their problems were just beginning. In short order, their healthcare disappeared and their 401(k)s were frozen. Then, MoveTrek Mobility - a company 38 Studios hired during the relocation to Providence to buy and resell employees' Massachusetts homes -notified seven people that, because it had not yet sold their houses, they were potentially responsible for their old mortgages. And Atlas Van Lines alerted some individuals that they were on the hook for bills that management hadn't paid.

Thom Ang is one of those people suddenly stuck with his old mortgage. With two young kids, no salary, rent due on his Rhode Island home, and now a mortgage in Massachusetts to pay, he's afraid his credit is about to be ruined. "I wasn't even aware that this could or would happen," he says, "and then having it affect where I could possibly live and where I could possibly work?"

At the last minute, Schilling believed he'd found a white-knight investor to inject $15 million into the company. But that deal, too, was dependent on additional tax credits from the state, and fell apart. On June 7, 38 Studios filed for bankruptcy.

One of the company's final acts - between June 4 and June 6 - was to pay COO William "Uncle Bill" Thomas just over $12,000 for his work shutting down 38 Studios, according to bankruptcy documents. Nearly every other employee had not been paid for more than a month.Many local industry veterans and tech investors tell me they're outraged by how Schilling failed to responsibly unwind the company and transparently communicate the dire situation to his employees long before May.

One former staff member vented his frustrations on Facebook, writing,"I'd like to honestly know why I was hired in the first place on January 16th, 2012.when members of the company knew they were behind on bills and not doing well economically? I moved my pregnant wife, sold my house for a loss of 18k, relocated away from all my family and friends for a company I thought was honest and forthright to their employees. What did I get in return? An unpaid [$10,500] relocation package months after it should have been paid, a pregnant wife who found out our insurance had lapsed from our doctor,a ton ofbounced checksand payments to billswhen we found out our paychecks had not been paid through the mediaand a large debt to my unemployed father to help us survive."
http://www.bostonmagazine.com/2012/0...os-end-game/8/

Danuser... I realize this is how people like Vogel keep their jobs and flock their wings to another company skirting responsibility for ineptitude -- I mean why else keep hiring people that will be yes men to the downtrodden when those above can rely on a good scapegoat below, but you aren't doing yourselves any favors. Not like it matters much anyway. If Vogel can get hired to lead a Fallout MMORPG for Battlecry studios under Zenimax Online after tanking two games in one of the most popular IP's imaginable and get hired again which will have the same results, I am sure you will be able to keep the Curt card in your back pocket, refer to this post if you get fucked over at SOE, and find a nice place to land springboarding user interface design for producers on a baseball talk show for ESPN.

Your ability to not burn a bridge that should have never been built for future reference sake? 1. Truth, honesty, integrity, backing the people that actually matter and doing the right thing? -564.