3d Printing and the Future of Piracy

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Didn't think it was worth starting a new thread but does anyone know how to rip 3D models out of games, say Destiny 1/2 and PS2? I've got an account with Dallas Makerspace and I want to start making some of my favorite guns/weapons from games but not sure where to start dragging the models out.

It appears that .stl (Mesh) files are very hard to manipulate and I need actual solidworks type files to manipulate them (Say to add a metal rod down the barrel so I add some heft to the gun. Anyone have any kind of insight into this shit?

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Didn't think it was worth starting a new thread but does anyone know how to rip 3D models out of games, say Destiny 1/2 and PS2? I've got an account with Dallas Makerspace and I want to start making some of my favorite guns/weapons from games but not sure where to start dragging the models out.

It appears that .stl (Mesh) files are very hard to manipulate and I need actual solidworks type files to manipulate them (Say to add a metal rod down the barrel so I add some heft to the gun. Anyone have any kind of insight into this shit?
Not sure what the "right" way is to do it, but software like pix4d or photoscan can turn a video into a 3d model.

If you can view the model in a menu and rotate it around/move it, you can take a video and send it to me. Needs to be high resolution, 4k if possible.

Hekotat

Not sure what the "right" way is to do it, but software like pix4d or photoscan can turn a video into a 3d model.

If you can view the model in a menu and rotate it around/move it, you can take a video and send it to me. Needs to be high resolution, 4k if possible.

Awesome, I'll see what I can do.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I don't know what options you have to do something like that, but try to have a blank background if possible.

If you have something in the background (like a texture, a wall, mist/smoke, etc), it'll make the model really noisy and a bitch to clean up.

Tag me when you reply.....i don't check the tech forum often

• 1Like

Hekotat

Would gladly pay you for some printed D2 stuffs if you ever figure it out

I'll let you k now what I come up with.

Once the laser comes back up at work I'm going to work on making some faction crests with wood. I'll post them here or create another thread once I get some good results.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Laser engraver? What other toys do you have over there, Hek? I'm always on the lookout for other ways to utilize the files I make with drones.

The color 3d prints have been popular.

Hekotat

Laser engraver? What other toys do you have over there, Hek? I'm always on the lookout for other ways to utilize the files I make with drones.

The color 3d prints have been popular.

Waterjets, lasers, plasma cutters, routers (All this at work). Yes I can make stuff there it's just harder to do because I don't like to stay late at work for personal shit.

Dallas Makerspace has all kinds of shit, you can basically do anything there but I can't afford the membership fee currently. It's a really cool place and I look forward to returning after some debt is paid off.

• 1Like

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole

If you are looking for video game weapons there are actually a lot out there for free on thingverse or myminifactory.com

Destiny is especially popular.

From what I understand of of the reason people remake stuff rather than use the models from the game is that a lot of detail is not actually modeld but more post process graphics, so textures and things like the feather on hawkmoon from Destiny won't print as raised or recessed detail.

• 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
She lives, still tuning but pretty good prints so far, alot of fun to build

GaNBo1o.jpg
RbLMSqQ.jpg

• 1Like

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
3d printing material sucks balls

• 1Picard

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
3d printing material sucks balls

That depends, obviously the home brew 3D printers will suffer a bit, but the one we have at work prints in ABS which is fucking strong as hell. Strong enough to use as prototype parts in testing.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
That depends, obviously the home brew 3D printers will suffer a bit, but the one we have at work prints in ABS which is fucking strong as hell. Strong enough to use as prototype parts in testing.

3d print some AR-15s and lets sell em like cookies at schools nationwide.

dimstar

Silver Knight of the Realm
Print quality is directly reflected by the time spent dialing in the machine settings for the material being printed.

• 1Like

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Are there any kits worth a damn in the 200-300 range? Long shot, i know. Don't have much of a budget but i need to make some one-off brackets for a project before long.

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
Are there any kits worth a damn in the 200-300 range? Long shot, i know. Don't have much of a budget but i need to make some one-off brackets for a project before long.
How big of a print bed are you looking for? I’ve had good success with my xyz da Vinci (just need to hack it and replace the firmware so you aren’t stuck with their crappy preset settings) as well as with the micro 3d

Fadaar

That guy
I work in aviation manufacturing and we use 3D printed stuff a LOT. Plastic parts gets used a ton for things like protective covers, guidance tools (for lining shit up before install), and fit checks. We also have a metal printer that we've cranked out a few tools for very specific spots/tasks. The engineers in the offices love when we come in there with ideas for shit drawn on a piece of paper, gives them something fun to work on for a while. I think the last one we submitted and got back for use was a little holder for landing gear pins that fits over top of the barricades we setup around the wheel wells when raising/lowering the gear for testing. We gave them what we thought was a good idea, they improved on it a little bit, and a few days later we have it.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think it depends on what material you want to print, if youare only interested in plastic (pla or petg) than maybe the creality cr10 would work and be around your price range, if you want exotic like nylon or carbon fiber you'll have to spend more

Kais

<Gold Donor>
New toy day! Monoprice Maker Select Plus $299 with free shipping right now at Monoprice. After extensive reviews this more than fits the bill. I'm really impressed with how solid it is and the overall build quality. Making my first print now!

makerselectplus.jpg

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users