3d Printing and the Future of Piracy

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Shit is becoming cheap as hell. Just a few years hobby shit like that was like a grand or two.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
Decided to pick up a Creality Ender 3 Pro after talking with Kovaks Kovaks which for the price ($270-ish pre tax) seemed great. Definitely a easy to setup and fun device to play around with. One suggestion i'll make is if you get a Creality printer look at the borosilicate printing surface. The one that comes with it sucks and causes tons of print failures due to poor adhesion even when properly calibrated.

I made some joke prints i.e. the Fucktopus (Blue one on the left was a fuck up print the hands were too brittle):

xmGaHyK.jpg

I did stumble across Nanoleaf Light Panel Replica by Harvahammas which I started printing today. It's going to take a while to get all of them printed even if I run it while i'm not home but I like the idea of building the Nanoleaf platform myself using the same board I used on my Halloween project.

Couple of things I want to accomplish:
  1. Make it easily mountable and interchangeable/modular like the the retail product sold as a package.
    1. This should be doable with the mounts and connector prints posted on Thingiverse.
  2. Increase the volume of LEDs involved, the creator used 2x LED per corner of the panels. I am going to try and up that by using cuts from a 144 LED strip with a much closer pixel distance, guessing maybe 4-5 (6 if I can).
  3. Use one of my Pixelblaze boards with the companion sound and light detection sensor board to enable it to react to ambient light and sound.
  4. Not burn my entire goddamn apartment down in the process by wiring all this shit myself.
I will try and keep up on build progress, each panel takes about 4 hours and 55 min and this is not counting print failures. The covers for the front take about 1 hour and 13 minutes. I haven't even factored in the wall mounts or panel connectors but in the grand scheme of things those shouldn't take nearly as long. Either way it'll be a long term project.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
Back panels have been finished (although I can add more if I want, starting with 8), moving on to the front panels next. During the printing process for the front panels I need to start on soldering the LED strips and wiring the panels. My original plan to increase the LED count has been abandoned because I forgot how bright just two of these LEDs can get on their own, it'd be needless overkill.
2ocNkJz.jpg

Last edited:
  • 2Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Aside from prototypes for mechanical engineers, have they ever found a use for this other than making plastic toys that are worse quality than you can get for $.10 from China?

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Aside from prototypes for mechanical engineers, have they ever found a use for this other than making plastic toys that are worse quality than you can get for $.10 from China?
I hear you can produce weaponry that utilizes standard munitions? :NPC:

• 1Worf

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
A knob on my dryer broke and I was able to 3D print a replacement that night, money well spent :p But for real it all depends about use cases, if you don't have anything in mind then buying one is probably not worth it. I've been trying to spend less time gaming and more time learning so picking up and printing/assembling side projects that interested me made it worth it.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Kais

<Gold Donor>
I've made many a small replacement part and have found it handy to make adapters and brackets for stuff around the house. One of the more interesting were some inserts to adapt an old yard tool rack to hold fishing poles. Some feet for an old steel floor lamp so it wouldn't scratch the floor. A rack for my vape gear. It doesn't get used near as much as when i first got mine as i've got my settings dialed in so i don't print out any toys really anymore. My bigest hangup is proficiency with fusion360 tbh.

• 1Like

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Is any sort of hardening process available for the 3d metal printed stuff? If I'm going to be printing up an intake manifold or control arm it needs to be just as strong as a cast/cnc milled part.

Nothing I've seen to far would handle up on this level of durability/strength. You'd have a better shot printing it in a low density plastic then using a lost casting method to cast it in metal.

Didn't think it was worth starting a new thread but does anyone know how to rip 3D models out of games, say Destiny 1/2 and PS2? I've got an account with Dallas Makerspace and I want to start making some of my favorite guns/weapons from games but not sure where to start dragging the models out.

It appears that .stl (Mesh) files are very hard to manipulate and I need actual solidworks type files to manipulate them (Say to add a metal rod down the barrel so I add some heft to the gun. Anyone have any kind of insight into this shit?

It depends on the game. There is a program you can use to pull models out of the World of Warcraft files, and even pull character models of the WoW Armory site. I've done that to print a render of a friends WoW character once, and printed a Demon for use in a tabletop RPG game.... Took a WoW demon model, added two extra arms and lobster claws to make a Glazbreau
lb.jpg

I've been doing 3d printing for a couple years now. To agree with some sentiment above, I print almost exclusively in ABS (it's the plastic Legos are made from). Now a days my 3d printer is most often called into play whenever I need a small plastic part to fix something. I've gotten reasonably adept with a pair of calipers to measure things and tinkercad to design simple objects and print them. Things like brackets to help hold kiddie gates in place.

Next step for me when I get my garage done is to get a Shapeoko CnC

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
My printing is mixed betweenn printing shit for around the house and making terrain/d&d shit for way cheaper than you can buy it retail. Another reason for getting into it is that my kids like stem and I figured letting them learn ealy might give them a leg up in the future.

• 2Like

Haus

<Silver Donator>
My printing is mixed betweenn printing shit for around the house and making terrain/d&d shit for way cheaper than you can buy it retail. Another reason for getting into it is that my kids like stem and I figured letting them learn ealy might give them a leg up in the future.

If your kids also play Roblox there's a page out there on how to download and print a statue of your Roblox character.... I did that for one of my nephews.

• 1Like

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
If your kids also play Roblox there's a page out there on how to download and print a statue of your Roblox character.... I did that for one of my nephews.
Good to know, my kids aren't there yet but my niece is into it.

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
Got my all metal hot end installed and running, I can finally start using some of this PETG filament I picked up.

• 1Like

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
Neat! Thanks for the heads up.

My project ADD knows no bounds I need to get back to working on wiring my panels. Got side tracked making a gift for a coworkers grandson, since the design is licensed for non commercial i'm only charging for the parts/wiring for my lighting setup but i'm excited to see how it turns out. Now that I calibrated my printer better the prints come out glass smooth on the bottom, it's so nice.

• 1Like

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
Lighting works! Now to just glue down all the panels.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like

Rabkorik

Silver Knight of the Realm
I'm going to try to get into 3d printing. I've ordered the Creality Ender 3d Pro and am starting to look at models. So far I only know of Thingiverse.com for free models. What are some other sites?

I'm hoping to eventually get into some simple modeling of my own. I know of Cura. Are there better options for someone with 0 modeling experience to play around?

• 1Like

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Cura isn't meant to build models, it takes models to prepare for your printer (rotate, adjust speed and layer height, infill pattern, external supports, temperatures, etc) and slices them into g-code that the printer uses to print. For hobbyists it's the best free software of it's kind. The next step from Cura is the paid software simplyfy3D which some find easier to use and more customizable.

To build models you would need a 3d program like Fusion360 (free for hobbyist but it is professional CAD). TinkerCAD and Sketchup are easier to get into and are web based.

Thingiverse is about 1000x more populated than the next listing site so it's pretty much the only one talked about.

The Creality Ender Pro is a fantastic printer, great choice.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
The free version of sketchup desktop was discontinued, but it was my favorite and pretty easy to learn for a newbie.

I think you can still get it if you search for something like "sketchup free 2017".

And here's your first print! - Fish Fossilz by muzz64