3d Printing and the Future of Piracy

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Rabkorik

Silver Knight of the Realm
Thanks for the tips Kais and Bandwagon. The printer is scheduled to come in on Wednesday. I've watched a few videos on proper setup so plan to spend some time setting it up correctly. I'm excited to get into it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
Make sure you check the bed for any weird warping over time, it's an issue with the Ender 3 and Pro model, glass print surfaces will help work around it if it's an issue.

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
Thanks for the tips Kais and Bandwagon. The printer is scheduled to come in on Wednesday. I've watched a few videos on proper setup so plan to spend some time setting it up correctly. I'm excited to get into it.

Also when you get it dialed in print the following immediately, they're handy quality of life improvements:

Tool holder:
Ender 3 / CR-10 Tool Holder by DantRush

Filament Guide Arm:
2020 / Ender 3 Filament Guide by Filboyt

Extruder Spring fix (prevents under extrusion issues due to not enough pressure on the filament):
Ender 3 Extruder Tension Fix by theroar

• 1Like

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I am loving my Prusa MK3 right now.
Biggest issue I have run into with mine to Keep an eye on are the grub screws in the pully motors, mine worked their way out and it fucked up prints for a month before I figured it out.

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
I am loving my Prusa MK3 right now.

Lucky! I ordered one back in early December after the honeymoon phase with the Ender 3 ended and I wanted more reliable leveling. Then I realized fuck I ordered in the midst of Christmas season. I’m on back order until mid to late January it looks like. A coworker is going to buy my Ender since they were interested in the hobby. I was surprised by how many people were interested in the LED cube I ended up making 4 more for some friends.

I put a halt to the Nanoleaf project because in the time that I started someone made a much better setup. Also some of my shells warped and the covers aren’t fiting right. New shells will be based off moodlite.co.uk - Nanoleaf clone design and web app by CdRsKuLL

• 1Like

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
Just recently got some good news at work so I thought about splurging on that, gonna get used to the printer first before I introduce any complexity into the mix.

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
@a_skeleton_03 have you looked at the "Palette2" from Mosaic Manufacturing? A little more pricey but also the this print done with it looks fantastic:

• 1Like

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
I ordered some filament from Polyalchemy, this purple is officially my favorite filament

• 1Like

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
MK3 showed up today from Prusa, holy shit this thing is quiet!

• 1Like

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Since people were mentioning modelling software I thought I'd chip this in...

If you're like me and you design a lot of simple functional parts and pieces and don't need to be doing smoothed out artistic modelling stuff you should check out TinkerCad , it's free and for basic CAD/design work it works well. Can export straight to .stl files for you too. Here's an example of one of my designs. 3D design Figure_Counters

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
First long print (16 hours) on the new printer, no issues and support removal was surprisingly painless vs my old printer. Bust of Sylvanas Windrunner
098c9b43-f401-4902-a0de-453d637a652e-jpeg.189430

2123ca6f-3b20-44f5-8071-9b7aed9d1ff5.jpg

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I won an MMU 2.0 on eBay from a guy that didn’t take it out of the box because of the horror stories.

Going to be getting it the middle of the week.

• 1Like

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
Nice! I ordered a palette 2 pro based on said horror stories with getting it to swap and feed correctly. Will circle back once it arrives. Not sure when that’ll be, i ordered Thursday haven’t heard anything yet

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
So the Y-Axis motor on my MK3 rattled like a motherfucker even when tightened properly, I came across a post for Prusa MK3 Y-Axis Motor Mount (juiced) with End Stop by jlnevill today and it seems to have lessened it, still need to run it through a couple of prints through to see if it isn't just placebo. So it's been a week since I ordered my palette 2 and so far not a word beyond the initial "Thanks for ordering" didn't realize there was a back order or something.

Also I got my Octoprint and Octolapse setup going:
ZAdWeIf.gifv

• 1Like

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
It's taking a hell of a lot longer (thicker shells) but i'm 8 / 9 panels for the Moodlite and the cables/LEDs will be coming tomorrow. Perfect "I live in a frozen hellscape and can't leave my home" assembly day. Also Mosaic is taking a while and I have no idea what the shipping time table looks like for my Palette2, may need to tweet at them to ask what the deal is.

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
6 panels wired and tested, all of them swap interchangeably as I wanted so i'm calling that a success. Just waiting on the lids to print, I need to go buy some more LEDs tomorrow since I ran out and have 3 more panels to wire.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

rush02112

Golden Knight of the Realm
MK3 showed up today from Prusa, holy shit this thing is quiet!

So finally talked work into ordering a 3d printer for rapid proto-typing. We also ordered the MK3. None of us have any expirence with 3d printing so do you or any of you others have tips for us?

Will be using Autodesk Inventor (advanced knowledge) for our models and Slic3r (novice)