3d Printing and the Future of Piracy

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
when you get it, print out the intro map to GoT.
I've asked here before if someone can send me a 4k recording of the opening of that show so that I can try to run it through my software. I haven't been able to find one, but I think a 3D map of westeros would be awesome.

I use photos to make my maps, but the software works (decently) with 4k video, too.

Here's the 3d print of a site from a few years ago

1578347679315.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I've been painting and sanding and bondo'ing all of the pulse rifle parts, finally ready to assemble it this weekend. I want to make it look really beat up and weathered, chipped, rusty, etc. and I have been reading how to do that but if anybody in here is good at that shit, let me know. These aren't 3D printed, they are from my Fallout 4 Collectors set, the ones I own are shiny and new looking, while reading how to weather props I came across pics of a guy who painted his to look old and beat up. I think they look amazing and want to try to do that to mine after I finish the pulse rifle.

weathering effects.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Those look awesome, Attog Attog
Where do you live?

I need a nerd friend that can paint. I'm colorblind as hell, so I always aim for "maker" stuff that I don't have to paint for it to look good. I used to be really into making terrariums and vivariums because I liked making water features and trying to make microclimates, but my rock and waterfall features always had a shit paint job.

P.s. / unrelated
I just realized that I like "god" and city sim games, RTS, hobbies aimed at creating my own little worlds, and a job where I use little robots to make huge maps that I stare at on my computer. And I'm getting heavy into automation.
Do I have a god complex?

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
Decided to take the LED cube thing to the next level. An Über Cube if you will, instead of 6 LED panels one per side, why not 9 LED panels on each side? I could find a design I liked to accomplish it so I ended up having to make my own. I went through 4-5 revisions and ended up with this as the final (for now):

1579229478329.png

It worked out perfect, I still had to drill holes to thread the screws, I went with a rectangle cut about 1mm wide because the screw holes on the panels vary enough that it's a pain in the ass to design around.

1579229708798.png

The panels are CJMCU-8x8 off aliexpress they can be hit and miss but I got lucky this time around and 20 out of 20 of what I ordered worked perfect. Still waiting on an additional 40 to finish things off. LED SPAM ahead:

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
I want to make it look really beat up and weathered, chipped, rusty, etc. and I have been reading how to do that but if anybody in here is good at that shit, let me know. .

View attachment 243771

Classic ways to age stage props etc is to get a few different sizes of chains and 'whip' the items, or place the chain on top and smack it with a board or hammer. Also layering more than one color of paint and abrading down to the second color or even a third with steel wool, sandpaper of a file of scratch it with an awl. Also using 'dry brush' of other colors to do 'traded paint' type scuffs. There are some really bad ass paints for doing weathered metal, I have used them for jobs requiring faux to match historic items, I cannot remember the company off the top of my head, I'll look it up at work tomorrow. But they have metal solids in them and the paint stays 'open' for a bit, you apply mild acids to create a patina and then the paint 'closes' to freeze the work a few hrs later. Disney uses a truck load of their stuff, I found out about it from a WD 'Imagineer'.

Biggest problem with fauxing is less is more, folks always go overboard. You need to do a little bit and walk away for a couple hours before you do more or you end up making ridiculously cartoon obvious.

Speaking of paint, you hobby folks and even minature guys would probably have fun with this shit, its what they paint invisible dawn / dusk over the cloud murals in places like Cesar's palace. Hit is with a black light and boom. Also super cool for a kids bedroom, I did a star scape on my nephews ceiling when he was a little kid with the white, goes on clear and 'invisible' til you bang it with the correct spectrum. Disney also uses a ton of that as well.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
Final design laid out, this should be universal to all 5 sides (still debating if I should bother with a 6th base panel or not):

1579495068899.png

4 corner mounts the screw holes thread through the corner mount then through the diffuser cover and into the panel mounting tray. It's much sturdier than snapping a panel on top and everything sits flush and clean once assembled.

1579495122111.png

1579495162560.png

1579495194457.png

That part went through 3 revisions until I was able to find a suitable thickness for the top layer. The first one was 2mm and too thick, the second one was .5mm and too thin so I settled for 1mm and it worked out just right.

(Left to Right is Rev 1 through 3)

• 1Like

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
practiced my weathering, kind of learning by doing. The rust effects on the pip-boy case are pretty sweet. On the pulse rifle I really over-did it in places with the silver paint. Less is definitely more when it comes to this stuff. I'm going to go back over it with a black wash to dull it down.

I drilled out some spots in the magazine and hot glued in tiny magnets so the mag actually clicks up into place.

weather effects.jpg

almost done.jpg

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
practiced my weathering, kind of learning by doing. The rust effects on the pip-boy case are pretty sweet. On the pulse rifle I really over-did it in places with the silver paint. Less is definitely more when it comes to this stuff. I'm going to go back over it with a black wash to dull it down.

I drilled out some spots in the magazine and hot glued in tiny magnets so the mag actually clicks up into place.

View attachment 244588

View attachment 244589

One of the interesting things about 'fauxing' is natural items get the most convincing results. i.e. sea sponges vs. manmade. Bird feathers for brushes. Badger and boar bristle brushes vs. synthetics. Also old hammered brushes stiff from never being cleaned well all make more realistic effects.

The folks who do it professionaly have little their own wierd little tool kits that look like a lost and found junk drawer. Sea shells, old gears with different tooth sizes from broken machines. Different types of Metal wire brushes. Dull razors and xactos. Wrinkled pieces off metal. Old metal combs with teeth missing. Broken grapefruit spoons. Etc etc.

They want the marks they make to not have uniformity. Replicating the randomness of the natural world is tough.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
helmet turned out beautiful but too fucking big for my head. Going to print out another one scaled down a bit. Learned a lot in printing the first one though.

mando helmet.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
Looking good. Also if you want to avoid using adhesives for wearable prints a 3D pen can be used to fuse parts together on the interior

• 1Like

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
Reworked the corner braces to be more rigid, the original design was flexible and didn't really make for a stable setup.

1579836236437.png

All 3 panels going in the cube configuration:

I'm waiting on the panels I ordered from Aliexpress to build the remaining two larger panels but now i'm also thinking maybe I should soak them in Isopropyl after I get them just to be safe :p

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
there should be a pacman loop you can play, saw it on a video somewhere and it was very cool. If you can find that file, load it up and try it out.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Hex Hex Attog Attog - What the hell are these things for? I see so many people making weird light cubes/squares when I'm looking at "maker" stuff and I never know what the hell everyone is making these things for.

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
Mostly for fun and to put on display at home. I just plan on setting it up with my other lights so when I flip my switch it turns on. Some of the other shapes and designs are meant to be a little more artistic like the Icosahedron that Greg Davill made:

This dude hand placed EVERY piece of this project versus using a pick and place. So he's kind of up there in the "damn that dude's got some insane talent" category.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Mostly for fun and to put on display at home. I just plan on setting it up with my other lights so when I flip my switch it turns on. Some of the other shapes and designs are meant to be a little more artistic like the Icosahedron that Greg Davill made:

This dude hand placed EVERY piece of this project versus using a pick and place. So he's kind of up there in the "damn that dude's got some insane talent" category.
I guess I'm trying to ask without sounding insulting.

The skills/talent needed to put these things together is impressive and kudos to you guys for getting into it, but the part I don't get is WHY THESE THINGS? I can't stand all the random LED lights on shit around the house and I despise computer towers with lights in them, let alone the gamer towers that have flashing lights all over the place. It's always an inconvenience when I have household electronics with that stuff in it, so the thought of having something in the house that's flashing art and has no other practical use makes me wince.

The skill is impressive, I just don't get why it's aimed at these things. Do you guys leave these on like a neon sign when you're at home?

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
Ah now that's an easy answer for me at least, i'm an RGB whore everything about my PC glows, I made custom nanoleaf panels that also animate/glow, this'll probably go to the left of my PC. Totally not insulting I have friends who have the same views just different strokes for different folks etc... I always found lighting projects and the underlying process of building them interesting so that's where I started branching out into building my own. Once I get a better handle on coding my own platforms for projects i'll look to do something a little more mechanically interesting with them i.e. adding some servos or moving parts.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
How about a terrarium with a weather/lightning component? I always wanted to build one that would occasionally have static discharge at random intervals to simulate lightning, using contacts that were randomized on the cover and embedded in the terrain.

• 1Like