3d Printing and the Future of Piracy

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Hobby Lobby sells plywood?

Next time you try this, use a more malleable wood than walnut. Red oak, for example, would likely fare better. Poplar should be okay, too.

But the plywood certainly suits what you did. It looks great.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Bandwagon Bandwagon Can your machine make something like this?

placard.jpg

I'm a Desert Storm vet and I volunteer for a local non-profit that provides legal service to veteran's and their families that can't afford it. I am working with a USMC Desert Storm veteran right now that never received his medals after he got home. DOD is sending me his medals, I'm going to buy him a little shadow box and have them all made up to look nice and then we'll present them to his family at a ceremony in the spring.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>

View attachment 249644

I'm a Desert Storm vet and I volunteer for a local non-profit that provides legal service to veteran's and their families that can't afford it. I am working with a USMC Desert Storm veteran right now that never received his medals after he got home. DOD is sending me his medals, I'm going to buy him a little shadow box and have them all made up to look nice and then we'll present them to his family at a ceremony in the spring.
Yup, but that image is shit quality. Engrave any picture, cut/score/engrave any SVG.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Went shopping this morning and got the misses a little starter kit for making jewlrey. Her and her mom are excited to play with it after seeing a couple earrings that I found online and cut out of walnut for them.

First attempt at an inlay is drying right now. Zero idea how to do this stuff, but we'll see how it looks after it's dried and sanded. Wood ones on the left have epoxy in them, acrylic one on the right has CA.

Screenshot_20200217-125914_Gallery.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Jesus, every one of these lines I cast out gets a big hit. Give me a couple months to learn Adobe illustrator and I could definitely make some extra money with this thing.

Screenshot_20200217-164151_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200217-164204_Gallery.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Siliconemelons

View attachment 249644

If you shadow-box for a marine - it better be good...those dudes love themselves some shadow boxes.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
So the lady that owns the chocolate shop is apparently a well-trained chocolatier (and their stuff is fantastic), but also a self-taught graphics artists and she's been doing their own labels for years. I sent her some SVGs of boxes to decorate and told her that we'll figure out the pricing to run the machine after she settings on a design and I can figure out how to optimize the process and waste as little material as possible.

The ammo box that I did is for my cop friend that runs shooting competitions all over the place and wants some cool, custom prizes as awards for his competition. I told him "There's a lot of room for improvement, but it will take me a little bit to learn how to use Adobe Illustrator.", and he replied with "Come over this weekend. My wife used to teach graphic design (especially Illustrator) at the college and she's really excited about what you sent over this morning".

My lady's best friend & her husband also went to school for graphic design (but don't use their degrees) and have a bunch of ideas, and her co-worker has a fairly successful Etsy account that she makes about a grand from per month, and she wants to make some Jewelry with it.

I'm going to learn Illustrator so I can make all the stuff I want to anyways, but I'm going to have to figure out how to price the use of this thing so that people can just send their files and I send them back a box of unassembled parts. The damn machine only costs about $1,500, so I assume everyone will eventually get their own if any of us start making decent money from it...assuming i'm actually charging them more than pennies and nickels to use it in the first place. Haven't been able to come up with a universal pricing structure yet, but was thinking something like:
Stocked material cost + 20% markup, $15/hr labor, $0.10/minute while the machine is actually running.

I think that would encourage people to arrange their files to maximize material usage (material cost built in, labor per part increases with frequent sheet changes) and use the machine functions that are fast (cutting & scoring) instead of the slow one (engraving). Engraving stinks worse, too.

That would make A SINGLE box like the one below:
$7 + $1.40
$15
$0.45 (cutting) + $3.50 (engraving)
=$27.35

Or my best guess for doing them in batches of 50, replace the engraves with scores, and arrange the cuts to fit the most on one sheet:
$116 + $23.20
$22 $90
$35
=$196.2, or $3.92/box
=$264.20, or $5.28

If that all works out, seems reasonable.

1582044407510.png

edit: Muh Maths

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Could sell those boxes on Etsy for like $25 per. Housewives love them some etsy crap.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I started a new thread here for laser cutting so that I could add a bunch of links to the first post, and also because I didn't want to clog this one up when I start psuedo-blogging like I normally do.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I decided to buy something I don't need. Picked up a Creality CR-10S a couple weeks ago. First project was printing these cool Gloomhaven trays for your player cards. Looking forward to making more shit, but not sure what to make next! I printed some little octopus toy for the kids, too.

1585350995806.png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Here ya go Hobby Tweakers. This would be hella fun to play with. I am gonna figure out a reason to buy some.

• 1Like

Kais

<Gold Donor>
So family members have asked me to make them masks and This is the one i've settled on. I'm sure i'm not the only one. In the instructions it was recommended to set shell layers at 2. I was doubltful that was going to be enough and was proven right when i canceled the first print after the nose was done. While the walls were fine, the floor/ceiling (in relation to the build plate) were way too flimsy. Gonna try with 4 layers in the morning.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
So family members have asked me to make them masks and This is the one i've settled on. I'm sure i'm not the only one. In the instructions it was recommended to set shell layers at 2. I was doubltful that was going to be enough and was proven right when i canceled the first print after the nose was done. While the walls were fine, the floor/ceiling (in relation to the build plate) were way too flimsy. Gonna try with 4 layers in the morning.
I've been making this one Make The Masks

I've only been doing 3d printing for about a month, so mine take way lonegr to print than they say (like 8-9 hours per mask) but I'm not trying to outfit a hospital, I'm just making them for the family. I reduced the size to 80% for the kids and that worked out pretty well (kids age 7-11, on the smaller side of the spectrum). The gasket is a little bit of a pain int he ass, the rigid weatherproofing doesn't work great, I think that by supplementing (or maybe replacing) with the foam rubber insulation I will get better results.

• 1Like

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I've been making this one Make The Masks

I've only been doing 3d printing for about a month, so mine take way lonegr to print than they say (like 8-9 hours per mask) but I'm not trying to outfit a hospital, I'm just making them for the family. I reduced the size to 80% for the kids and that worked out pretty well (kids age 7-11, on the smaller side of the spectrum). The gasket is a little bit of a pain int he ass, the rigid weatherproofing doesn't work great, I think that by supplementing (or maybe replacing) with the foam rubber insulation I will get better results.
I tried that one for my wife but it didn't work with her flatter asian nose, still looking for one that will work for her.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
That sucks, all the ones that I have seen use the same basic face shape for the mask part. I'm sure you tried but maybe you can heat it and mold it somehow? I skipped the shaping it to my face part because I had to go, it still fits me with the weatherstripping, but didn't fit my wife without molding it.

• 1Like