Blackwing Lair Raider
more progress

almost done 2.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
The glowforge I ordered a month ago is supposed to ship today. They missed the ship date that was reported when I ordered so I send them a polite email, and they refunded the shipping charge before I could even ask for it. I thanked the CS rep for that, but told him that I still need an updated date that I can expect it to ship by so that I can plan on which projects/proposals I might be able to use it on. I think he shuffled me up to the front of the line because he said they'll try to get it out the door today.

Can't compliment them on their ship times, but the CS experience was pretty nice.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Printed a Fallout mini-nuke over the weekend. Still need to attach the screws and then I'm going to weather it and use the rust paints to make it look beat to hell.

fallout mini nuke.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
First cut/print going now. I did the cut before placing the photo, and it looks like the engraving extents aren't as wide as the cutting extents or something. I just plopped it on there anyways.

Picture is a low res 72dpi image so I'm not sure if those are just too low dpi to engrave or if I need to figure out the settings. All in all a pretty easy setup and easy to get going. Web interface is underwhelming for someone that's used to working in CAD & GIS

Screenshot_20200208-110729_Gallery.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Couple more test cuts today. Pretty happy with this thing.

Wife isn't happy with the campfire smell. ;)

Screenshot_20200208-184657_Gallery.jpg

• 3Like

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
my first multi day print. Did the entire pulse rifle in one go, took an entire roll of filament.

mando rifle.jpg

• 3Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
my first multi day print. Did the entire pulse rifle in one go, took an entire roll of filament.

View attachment 248354
Add a bottle of baby oil and a Savage Garden CD and you're all squared away for foreplay fridays.

How did you print that all in one go? Sorry if you've already posted what you have in here.

Last edited:

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
How did you print that all in one go? Sorry if you've already posted what you have in here.

I found this file on Thingiverse: Mandalorian+Rifle+Ender3_Bed Complete by t4nk_jw

Someone sliced it down into component parts and arranged it tightly to the bed so it could all fit on at once. This was my first time having the balls to try that big of a print. So far I have been doing one piece at a time, that way if things get hosed I don't lose too much material.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I found this file on Thingiverse: Mandalorian+Rifle+Ender3_Bed Complete by t4nk_jw

Someone sliced it down into component parts and arranged it tightly to the bed so it could all fit on at once. This was my first time having the balls to try that big of a print. So far I have been doing one piece at a time, that way if things get hosed I don't lose too much material.
Ahhhh, that makes a lot more sense...including being nervous about long prints and not wanting to do them all at once. I went straight for 14-20 hour prints on my 3D printer because all I was really using it for was making maps and I didn't know how to hollow them out at first. So most of them were around 14 hours. Fucking sucks when you have a clog or run out of a filament part way through.

Man that glow forge looks sweet...very tempting
I absolutely love this thing so far. I wish you guys could see how well those boxes fit together. I used a rubber mallet to pound them together and they fit perfectly. Very tight friction fit. I made a big one for my daughter to put some toys in and engraved a picture of her into the top of it. She's been standing & sitting on it, throwing it around the house and abusing it all day yesterday. Still perfectly held together and no breaks or cracks.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Fucking awesome.

That's awesome, but I'm becoming more and more of a nutjob conspiracy theorist the more I see nowadays and I'm increasingly uncomfortable with stuff like this because I see it replacing our current supply chains, but they're all still being built with a component that requires some form of gatekeeping.

The FAA is considering making always-online a requirement for drones as part of the Remote ID initiative, my drone manufacturers have forced geofencing technology now that will prevent the drone from operating if you don't pre-authorize some flights through them (a chinese company, and we've already been authorized by the FAA), companies like twitter and google are intentionally censoring "public" conversation, search results, trending, etc.

What happens when something like this replaces Walmart and has a digital storefront that you order stuff through? The existing systems of distribution collapse and we're left with a centralized network that has one OFF switch and a generation that won't even be able to comprehend how goods were manufactured and dispersed prior to this tech. Want to print more plastic straws before your superbowl party? Sorry, straws are no longer available because 3D_company_01 CEO saw a picture of a turtle with a straw sticking out of it's eye. Critical of the current administration's immigration plan? Sorry Nazi, you have been banned from the digital marketplace and can no longer print your meals or clothes. Good luck digging for tubers, racist.

This stuff is being celebrated as a tool to put the power of creation in the hands of individuals and I think that's true right now, but the more I see of technology the more convinced I am that it's a guaranteed path to a dystopian future because it removes physical barriers from everyone, malicious actors included. A small group of people with malicious intent have never had so many tools at their disposal to amplify their efforts. Anyone else getting 16 robocalls a day that start off with "CONGRATULATIONS From Marriott Hotels!"? Hundreds of thousands of outgoing scam calls every day, all coming from a few people.

Efficiency multiplier tools + a civilization becoming more and more tolerant of predators & criminals = fucking nightmare.

Tuco Tuco - Not something I've tried to write out before, but I've had the thought for awhile now. Curious if you feel the same.
/tinfoil

Last edited:

Siliconemelons

Ordered a laser engraver from BossLaser for works innovation lab.

Inquired about a dual extruder 3d printer but, no work back yet.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
That's awesome, but I'm becoming more and more of a nutjob conspiracy theorist the more I see nowadays and I'm increasingly uncomfortable with stuff like this because I see it replacing our current supply chains, but they're all still being built with a component that requires some form of gatekeeping.

The FAA is considering making always-online a requirement for drones as part of the Remote ID initiative, my drone manufacturers have forced geofencing technology now that will prevent the drone from operating if you don't pre-authorize some flights through them (a chinese company, and we've already been authorized by the FAA), companies like twitter and google are intentionally censoring "public" conversation, search results, trending, etc.

What happens when something like this replaces Walmart and has a digital storefront that you order stuff through? The existing systems of distribution collapse and we're left with a centralized network that has one OFF switch and a generation that won't even be able to comprehend how goods were manufactured and dispersed prior to this tech. Want to print more plastic straws before your superbowl party? Sorry, straws are no longer available because 3D_company_01 CEO saw a picture of a turtle with a straw sticking out of it's eye. Critical of the current administration's immigration plan? Sorry Nazi, you have been banned from the digital marketplace and can no longer print your meals or clothes. Good luck digging for tubers, racist.

This stuff is being celebrated as a tool to put the power of creation in the hands of individuals and I think that's true right now, but the more I see of technology the more convinced I am that it's a guaranteed path to a dystopian future because it removes physical barriers from everyone, malicious actors included. A small group of people with malicious intent have never had so many tools at their disposal to amplify their efforts. Anyone else getting 16 robocalls a day that start off with "CONGRATULATIONS From Marriott Hotels!"? Hundreds of thousands of outgoing scam calls every day, all coming from a few people.

Efficiency multiplier tools + a civilization becoming more and more tolerant of predators & criminals = fucking nightmare.

Tuco Tuco - Not something I've tried to write out before, but I've had the thought for awhile now. Curious if you feel the same.
/tinfoil

We will be dead before that happens. Celebrate an exciting cheap hobby now, and mourn for your children’s future later.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I just made this for my sister's birthday. Thays her company logo on top. My first attempt at getting fancy. Going to put some stain on it tomorrow.

Screenshot_20200216-153451_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200216-155308_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
  • 3Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
That's fantastic. What is it made of? It looks like wood.
Plywood from hobby lobby. I did the whole thing out of walnut two times before giving up. Walnut kept cracking at the rounded ends, even after using a hairdryer and steaming it.

Theres a ton of room for improvement, I'm just making gifts and knick knacks as I learn.