Golden Knight of the Realm
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SoC
Everquest
Lunar II
Dawn of War w/ skimish AI mod
Goldeneye

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I'd like to say I bought Planescape: Torment around when it came out, but something about my computer wouldn't run it right, I think it crashed whenever it played videos, so I never played more than the first like 10 minutes. This has been the 5 millions thread on these boards alone to make me regret not playing it. I may have to see if I can play through today, not sure how well the oldness holds up.
The graphics are honestly the least relevant part of the experience. What made the game so amazing was the story, text, puzzles, and character interactions. The attention to detail the developers invested in the characters and the story is unrivaled to this day.

Saladus

Bronze Knight of the Realm
1) Everquest
2) Final Fantasy VII
3) Zelda : A Link to the Past
4) Counter-Strike
5) WoW, partially due to the amount of time I've invested in it.

Honorable mention goes to Minecraft. It's last of any storyline or objectives keeps it out of the top 5, but it has certainly has as much of an effect on me as the above games.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I refuse to order these but...

Asheron's Call
Warcraft III
Half Life (including mods)
Starcraft
WoW

Easy top 5 just out of sheer hours of enjoyment. For sure not the best games ever and some close contenders, but can't deny I spent the most time with those 5.

TheRashyman

Golden Knight of the Realm
1. Everquest
2. Brigandine: The Legend of Forsena
3. Final Fantasy X (never have enjoyed leveling and the leveling system so much in my life)
4. Mario Kart 64
5. Champions of Norrath (I played this through with a friend and maybe just the co-op was great but I loved it)

I don't really know how to describe the "best", but these are 5 games that kept a memory of me really enjoying while I grew up or even today.

Charles_sl

shitlord
Planescape: Torment is still completely playable. I've played it fairly recently, in the past couple of years or so, and the graphics aren't even noticeable at all. Of course if you are big on graphics then I'm sure that your opinion would be different but the graphics have no impact on the gameplay.

My list based on "real fun," time played, gameplay, etc.:

Age of Empires II (fond memories)
Asheron's Call (I had more "real fun" than I did in Everquest)
Civilization x (x could be II, IV, I really liked III, I like V too)
Hearts of Iron II (great strategy game)
World of Warcraft: Before Cataclysm (amazing)

Balin

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Lurker since noows. First post.

Considering PC games only.

5. Mass Effect
4. Half Life
3. Doom
2. Civ IV (no expansions)
1. EQ (through Luclin)

Honorable Mention: TradeWars 2002, Angband, FreeSpace 2, Wing Commander 3, Falcon 4.0, C&C: Red Alert, Warcraft 2

elasticjoe_sl

shitlord
1. Chrono Trigger
2. Everquest
3. Final Fantasy (series)
4. Legend of Zelda (series)
5. Baldur's Gate 1 and 2

X-Wing, Tie Fighter, KOTOR can have honorable mentions.

This really gets me thinking. What happened to good games? Most stuff released in recent years is just uninspired shit except for maybe a few gems like Dragon Age: Origins or Dead Space.

Caliane

1. Chrono Trigger
2. Everquest
3. Final Fantasy (series)
4. Legend of Zelda (series)
5. Baldur's Gate 1 and 2

X-Wing, Tie Fighter, KOTOR can have honorable mentions.

This really gets me thinking. What happened to good games? Most stuff released in recent years is just uninspired shit except for maybe a few gems like Dragon Age: Origins or Dead Space.
Portal. L4D. Bastion. Path of Exile. LoL. Minecraft. Terraria. Dwarf fortress ongoing. Skyrim. Batman:AA. Trine. Saintsrow3
ten seconds looking at my steam list/desktop. If I thought about it more, I could probably list 20 more in the last 2 years that are pretty much amazing.
Sure some genres are a bit missing/weak. We all want a tiefighter/xwing. Mechwarriors keep dieing.

right now is the greatest age in gaming of alltime. I have 10 games on steam I have not even installed yet, because I'm too busy playing Dota2, LoL, Gw2, PoE, Gnomoria.
Not even bringing up handheld/portable gaming, which is clearly hitting a golden age as well.
OR the fact more and more of old games are becoming available. Look at the SS2 post being on GoG.

I can play sega genesis games via steam, on my PC or TV using an xbox 360 controller.

Fadaar

That guy
Games I've spent the most time playing over the years (more than 5, fuck you):

EverQuest
Counter-Strike (1.6 and prior only)
World of Warcraft
Shattered Galaxy (MMORTS)
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Battlefield 2
Battlefield 3
Mass Effect series
Doom/Doom II
Fallout 3
Mario Kart 64
GoldenEye
Final Fantasy games for the PS1/PS2 (ie 7-12)
Pokemon original Red and Blue
X-Wing
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

I'm sure I forgot a lot of games, shit I feel old at 27 now and playing games like Doom and Wolfenstein back when they first came out...

If I did have to narrow it down to 5 though....

EQ - killed my free time in high school
WoW - killed my free time in college
MarioKart 64 - made me want to kill my friends in middle school/high school/college
Battlefield 2 - no game has ever made me rage as hard as BF2 did, I swear it had some of the most fucked ass bad hit detection in any game ever
FF7 - my first real experience with RPG's

Asherah

Silver Knight of the Realm
In no particular order:

Master of Magic
Wastelands
Pool of Radiance
Longest Journey/Dreamfall
Baldur's Gate series

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Final Fantasy VII
Chrono Trigger
Baldur's Gate 1+2
Tie Fighter
WoW Vanilla + TBC

Honorable mentions: EQ, FF Tactics, FF 3/6, FF 2/4, Super Metroid, Mario 64, EvE Online, Icewind Dale, Secret of Mana, Super Mario RPG, GTA: Vice City, Tecmo Bowl, Goldeneye, Starcraft

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
5) Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear
4) Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
3) Wing Commander IV
2) Lords of the Realm 2
1) World of Warcraft

Kind of shocked how many people prefer EQ to WoW. WoW was everything EQ wanted to be.