5G researchers manage record 1Tbps wireless connection speed

Neki

Molten Core Raider
BBC News - 5G researchers manage record connection speed

Record-breaking speeds have been achieved during tests of 5G data connections, scientists have said.

Researchers at the University of Surrey's 5G Innovation Centre (5GIC) managed one terabit per second (Tbps) - many thousands of times faster than current data connections.

The head of the 5GIC said he hoped to demonstrate the technology to the public in 2018.

Ofcom has said 5G could be available in Britain by 2020.

At 1Tbps, it would be theoretically possible to download a file 100 times the size of a feature film in about three seconds. The speed is more than 65,000 times faster than average 4G download speeds.

It is also far in excess of the previous best achieved in tests: Samsung's 7.5 gigabits per second (Gbps), which is less than 1% of the Surrey team's speed.

According to news website V3, 5GIC director Prof Rahim Tafazolli said: "We have developed 10 more breakthrough technologies and one of them means we can exceed 1Tbps wirelessly. This is the same capacity as fibreoptics but we are doing it wirelessly."

His research team built its own kit and carried out the tests in lab conditions over a distance of 100m....
1Tbps? This is getting stupid now. Who needs such fast spe.....

...fuck it, I need MOAR SPEED!

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Who the hell needs Google Fiber? Set up a hot spot!

And pay exorbitant fees when you blast through your data cap in 1 day. lol

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Hopefully this will be on Elon Musk's space internet and we can all laugh at Comcast as they go out of business (and then we can start taking it in the ass from SpaceX!)

Remit_sl

shitlord
Hopefully this will be on Elon Musk's space internet and we can all laugh at Comcast as they go out of business (and then we can start taking it in the ass from SpaceX!)
Not likely if you consider the current bid prices for 4g spectrum plus infrastructure costs. Elon Musk tricks people into buying solar panels to generate energy that he can sell (and is a fucking genius for that), so maybe if they turn your computer into a host server for advertising?

EDIT: I will admit that I havent researched 5G much, but this article indicates it will operate at >6Ghz? So nLOS (near or no line of sight) is out? How would that even work for cellular?

iannis

Musty Nester
So? You've already got a kid.

It's kinda like you're saving money on getting clipped. It just makes sense. Make your money work for YOU.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I mean it would only offer birth control for 1/100th of a second at the highest Verizon data plan.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Is anyone really to the point where they feel they need more speed on their phone?

Why do I need more than 10Mbps on my phone?

Now better signal reception would be nice.

Remit_sl

shitlord
Its more about utilization of channel width, or getting the most Mbps per hz. Especially in these licensed bands, as the prices for spectrum are huge

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
Is anyone really to the point where they feel they need more speed on their phone?

This is a silly question. It's impossible for your internet to be too fast. Faster is always better.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole

The big one really is data caps. The only reason I'm buying my phones outright recently is because I've got a grandfathered Verizon unlimited data.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, the best part of moving forward with these types of technologies, and fiber in your home as well, is that data caps will have to disappear. You can't realistically try to data cap gigabit/terabit speeds. Just like AT&T limiting it's gigabit service to 1TB download per month. A person can blow through their entire monthly data cap in about 2 hours at that speed. The customer backlash will be incredible if those types of arbitrary caps stay in place.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
The mother fucking animated gif thread!
IpK42T6.gif

Wink-wink.