5G researchers manage record 1Tbps wireless connection speed

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Yes he does, if you do either of the lease plans. And the purchase outright plans are over priced
If you do the lease plan then you're not buying anything, you're only paying for the power and don't have to pay for the panels at all. If you purchase it outright then you own the system and don't have to pay for the power.

No idea where you got this idea that you would buy the system and then still have to pay for the power it produces.

Remit_sl

shitlord
My thoughts were a >10 roi or buying power generated on your own property is a shit sandwich either way. Elon doesn't do it for the planet,to stick it to the evil power companies, or to save consumers money; he does it because its built a multi billion dollar company.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
T-Mobile offers an unlimited talk/text/data (LTE speed) plan for $80/month. If that allows tethering (I don't know if it does), it'd already be somewhat cheaper than my cable ($60/month at about the same speed as LTE) and cheap prepaid plan from T-Mobile ($30/month). For anyone with more than a single phone line, this would be a no-brainer.

Would be nice to see phone carriers starting to compete with cable companies. Is capacity on LTE really so limited that they can't even trial a 10mbit home internet plan?

Remit_sl

shitlord
Yes. Current 4g Mbps per hz and limited spectrum simply dont allow for unlimited plans in congested areas. It isn't even a matter of infrastructure. You simple can't move that much data in that much frequency space

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
My thoughts were a >10 roi or buying power generated on your own property is a shit sandwich either way. Elon doesn't do it for the planet,to stick it to the evil power companies, or to save consumers money; he does it because its built a multi billion dollar company.
If you're buying that power for $0.09 per kWh when your utility company is charging you 0.18 per kWh I fail to see how that's a shit sandwich. You seem to have some odd Elon Musk hatred, though, so don't let facts get in the way of that

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
That's a cool figure... and amazing how much spectrum TV broadcasting takes up.
and AM radio, that shit uses like half of the available 300khz - 3mhz spectrum

I know absolutely nothing about any of this, but for someone who does, does the amount of information that is able to be sent over equal time periods increase at each tier? I.E. can a broadcast at 30MHZ send the same amount of info as 3mhz in 1/10th the time, or 10x the data in the same time? Or does the frequency have more to do with range than bandwidth?

I'm assuming that's why you see nothing that carries video in those lowest couple of spectrum ranges, thats all just audio or small amounts of data.

Remit_sl

shitlord
Yeah there is huge amounts of waste. And then when they open something up for auction, the price is so crazy that common carries start looking at stuff like LTE-U and shit all over the little guys. But no, a hz is a hz, just the graph grows epenentially as 1000hz =MHz etc. Note this is also from 2003 so might be a little incorrect

Soriak_sl

shitlord
So if the spectrum from TV broadcasts and AM & FM Radio were freed up, would that make LTE home broadband feasible?

I'm sure there are plenty of people left who watch TV with rabbit ears, but it can't be so many as to outweigh the huge potential gains from transmitting more/faster data wirelessly. Similarly with AM/FM Radio that could just move to broadcast over the internet.

Remit_sl

shitlord
Yeah its called "TV whitespace". I think the fcc mandated that it can only be used for fixed point wireless, must have GPS lock, and a bunch of other guidelines. Last I checked, it wasnt going to be very feasible

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
And yes, the lower the frequency the more penetration. North of 3ghz requires line of sight (mostly)
I've always heard that, but then why does AM radio completely cut out in tunnels and underpass, much worse than FM? I know AM had some crazy range though, I used to be able to get some am stations out of Chicago here in Kansas City on a clear night as a kid. FM seems to crap out about 100 miles away or so at best.

Remit_sl

shitlord
I've always heard that, but then why does AM radio completely cut out in tunnels and underpass, much worse than FM? I know AM had some crazy range though, I used to be able to get some am stations out of Chicago here in Kansas City on a clear night as a kid. FM seems to crap out about 100 miles away or so at best.
There are a lot of variables for rf. Fresnel zones, multipathing, resonation, and then each band has its own FCC regulation for power output and such. I am not an rf engineer though, just know quite a bit about the 2-6Ghz range from personal experience.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Elon doesn't do it for the planet,to stick it to the evil power companies, or to save consumers money; he does it because its built a multi billion dollar company.
You say that like it's a bad thing.

Remit_sl

shitlord
You say that like it's a bad thing.
Not at all. The dude has amazing business models. I just get the feeling that some people think Google and Elon are going to build 1Tb fiber to every trailer park in america, because its the right thing to do! He seems a bit smug in interviews, but I would be too. Actually, i would be too busy sailing around the globe and being a pirate to give interviews.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Elon seems to go for businesses that help the planet AND make him a ton of money. I'm perfectly fine with that

Remit_sl

shitlord
Elon seems to go for businesses that help the planet AND make him a ton of money. I'm perfectly fine with that
Yeah as am I. However, ISP or Wireless Carrier in the US isn't either of those things (unless you are one of the existing oligopolies, and then it is just the money part).

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Not likely if you consider the current bid prices for 4g spectrum plus infrastructure costs. Elon Musk tricks people into buying solar panels to generate energy that he can sell (and is a fucking genius for that), so maybe if they turn your computer into a host server for advertising?

EDIT: I will admit that I havent researched 5G much, but this article indicates it will operate at >6Ghz? So nLOS (near or no line of sight) is out? How would that even work for cellular?
It could/will be used for backhaul connections for towers theoretically, lowering the cost *significantly* of new towers, which currently require expensive fiber connections, which would "trickle down" higher speeds to both congested areas (too many people per tower) as well as rural areas (too much area per tower).

If you could theoretically triple the number of cell towers in both rural and congested urban areas, overall service would greatly improve, while not costing more to the provider. Backhaul is one of the biggest costs insofar as setting up a new cell site. (or so I've read)