90s songs that were OK the first time, but gave you cancer after they were played nonstop for months

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Yeah, its radio itself, not the decade.

Even classic rock stations are unlistenable shit that end up making a person hate songs that were good in the first place.

Its funny in the age of streaming music, where you can find thousands of examples of algorithm-generated playlists that are 1000x better than the way the radio does it. It makes a person wonder, why the fuck do they still do it that way? I'm sure theres some boring historical reason why it got that way in the first place, but the question is why is it still that way when they could literally fire all the staff, plug in pandora or similar, and have a 1000x better product?

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Eiffel 65 - Blue

Liked it at first (I was 12 years old and the video blew my mind). Then I heard it a kajillion times. ...then years later I started loving it again. 🙃
Thank you for reminding me. Wanted to hear this song the other day but forgot to queue it up on YT.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

Even classic rock stations are unlistenable shit that end up making a person hate songs that were good in the first place.

Its funny in the age of streaming music, where you can find thousands of examples of algorithm-generated playlists that are 1000x better than the way the radio does it. It makes a person wonder, why the fuck do they still do it that way? I'm sure theres some boring historical reason why it got that way in the first place, but the question is why is it still that way when they could literally fire all the staff, plug in pandora or similar, and have a 1000x better product?
Probably because boomers are still alive. I imagine radio in the form we know it won’t be around in 20-30 years.

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Last summer I was outside for a week doing home repair shit and started out with a classic rock radio station on. Day three I was convinced it was the same playlist on repeat. There's a fucking lot of classic rock and ever day there was the same one Queen song and the same one Fleetwood Mac. It was like the dead internet theory but music.

Probably because boomers are still alive. I imagine radio in the form we know it won’t be around in 20-30 years.

I think radio is too useful at it's price point to go away. There's a lot of people driving and a lot of people doing all manner of labor.

• 1Like

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Is this some fake Mandela effect shit? I've never heard of or heard that song before just now.

• 2WTF
  • 1Seriously?
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 3 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Some other overplayed stuff from back then.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Is this some fake Mandela effect shit? I've never heard of or heard that song before just now.
Yeah it was played a lot. It got remixed into a billion techno songs if you were into EDM at all back then you knew it, even if you didn’t listen to the radio.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

Patrick Swayze Love GIF
lol, those songs were terrible, but as bad as those wonderwhiny bitches in Oases were, their songs were ok. its not something i cant imagine why somebody would like. "closing time" is straight up trash. there was a lot of whiny songs in music back then.

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Tubtumping and All-Star have to be near the top. Absolute ass songs that were so goddamn overplayed. Mmm-bop was awful but I at least "get it" - it's a super catchy pop song that young girls went wild over.

Played every 5 fucking seconds in every sports stadium in America non-stop in the 90s. Especially retarded because the song had absolutely ZERO to do with sports.
Ever had a car with a leaky radiator that bled into the heating element? Hot radiator fluid smells like rotten mice or something, man it stunk, I can still remember exactly what road and railroad crossing I was on when I was smelling that foul stench in my Pontiac while this song was playing.

• 1Worf

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
it was here, but they didnt saturate the universe with it. thats why i asked if that was a bigger euro hit.
Some other overplayed stuff from back then.

at least Jeremy gave a warning riff to people to change the station. i never heard Firestarter on the radio. stabbing westward song isnt too bad. i heard that played in clubs and bars, but not too often on the radio. i have very little memory of that sandstorm song.
this song was terribad, and i know it was a beloved song, but it never stopped playing.
also this one.
the sad thing is i saw No Doubt like several times opening up for bands at the Stone Pony or at clubs in the city. and even met Gwen after her set. she got in a workout. could smell her from the stage.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
their producer musta been sucking some dj dick to get so much airtime

• 1WTF

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

there is something weird about it. if they play Queen, its always Bohemian Rhapsody or We Will Rock You/We Are The Champions. if they play Sabbath, its only just Paranoid, not even Iron Man, just Paranoid. the station near me has been throwing curveballs lately. they're actually playing the old metal songs on CBS FM. i fucking heard Turn Up The Radio by Autograph. i never heard that on mainstream radio. they also played old Ratt songs like Round and Round and Lay it Down. on the one hand its fucking cool to finally hear the songs from my childhood on a mainstream station, but its an oldies station. christ, even shit like No Doubt Just a Girl was almost 30 years ago.