90s songs that were OK the first time, but gave you cancer after they were played nonstop for months

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Speaking of Collective Soul, haven't seen these two mentioned yet.

they played the shit out of Shine, it was just such a good song that it never got old.
people think these are all good songs being picked on. no, there were some real stinkers that were propped up by the radio stations.
example

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Those horrible linkin park songs were redeemed for me when they started getting played at 2am on Friday and Saturday nights during weekend EQ raids. Now they are Vex Thal or ToV songs. Good nostalgia.
Haha, yes. I think Linkin Park kinda sucks, but the guy that made our DAoC PvP videos used a bunch of Linkin Park and other similar shit from that era like Drowning Pool and so those are classic PvP songs.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

Typography Everything GIF
lol you did not call Save Tonight a bad song. what the fuck dude

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i notice nobody ever complains Radiohead was overplayed during the 90s, or Alice in Chains or STP or Soundgarden, even the most overplayed song of the 90s, Smells Like Teen Spirit, nobody got sick of them.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
i notice nobody ever complains Radiohead was overplayed during the 90s, or Alice in Chains or STP or Soundgarden, even the most overplayed song of the 90s, Smells Like Teen Spirit, nobody got sick of them.
When I think overplayed songs the ones that immediately come to mind, aside from the previously mentioned The Sign:

All Star
Closing Time
Time of Your Life
Kryptonite
Higher
That one Nickelback song

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I was at a dentist appointment the other day. My dentist is probably 4-6 years younger than me, and my hygienist looks like she's right out of college. A bunch of shitty songs had just played on the radio. Then Island in the Sun came on and we all just stopped what we were doing and hummed a few bars.

• 2Worf

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Shine is good, shut the fuck up.
This thread has sort of just turned into a "songs they played a lot in the 90s but we are grumpy old fucks so we need to pretend they annoyed us" thread. "Shine" is indeed a banger, I even can play it on guitar.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
"Creep" was (and still is) absolutely overplayed, I think it's just one of those ones that's been played so much that we are numb to it. Like turning nose blind to a bad smell.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
When I was a kid I was into Weird Al, and always thought he should do a parody of "Save Tonight." I think it came out around the time I had to start shaving during puberty, so it went...

Shave tonight
And fight the facial hair
Come tomorrow
Tomorrow you'll be bare

("Cool story pharmakos" -- everyone)

• 1Like
  • 1Worf