90s songs that were OK the first time, but gave you cancer after they were played nonstop for months

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

Typography Everything GIF
that New Radicals song is actually very cool. its got anti establishment message packaged in a bubbly top 40 song.

Health insurance, rip-off flying
FDA, big bankers buying
Fake computer crashes dining
Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes, run to your mansions
Come around, we'll kick your ass in

the Deelite song is pretty cool. i actually thought that was going to be the sound of the 90s when i first heard it. then Nirvana slapped their dick on the table and everything changed.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Great album but there was definitely some time I was plenty sick of this

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i remember that song, it was super played out, but it wasnt a bad song. not my cup of tea. one of the great things about being a metalhead was your favorite songs were almost guaranteed not to be ruined on the radio. we had one college station in the area that played metal (WSOU) and Krock which played alternative/Industrial randomly during the day. so they could fuck up trent reznor songs all day for all i cared, but they wont be fucking up Maiden or Priest or Anthrax songs. and yes, even NIN's Closer was ruined too.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
A year late, but still deserves the hate. In 2000, the released Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory album with those songs which were played constantly and even infested a shitload of youtube videos.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
A year late, but still deserves the hate. In 2000, the released Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory album with those songs which were played constantly and even infested a shitload of youtube videos.
Yes, was very much not a fan. It’s only recently that I’ve been able to appreciate some of their stuff.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
This is one of the best picks yet for me. Great at first but after a while it became a change the station now song.

Some of the shit in this thread cracks me up. For fucks sake, nobody ever liked Cotton Eyed Motherfucking Joe. This isnt just "songs I remember from the 90s"

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Here's one I've heard probably thousands of times and still never got sick of

Been around the world and found that
Only stupid people are breeding
The cretins cloning and feeding
And I don't even own a TV

I wanna publish 'zines
And rage against machines
I wanna pierce my tongue
It doesn't hurt it feels fine
The trivial -- sublime
I'd like to turn off time
And kill my mind

Paranoia, paranoia
Everybody's coming to get me
Just say you never met me
I'm running underground with the moles
Digging holes

I hear the voices in my head
I swear to God it sounds like they're snoring
But if you're bored then you're boring
The agony and the irony are killing me

Bonus -- here's me covering it on acoustic. The arrangement I am playing for it, I originally intended for electric tho, it jams.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Those horrible linkin park songs were redeemed for me when they started getting played at 2am on Friday and Saturday nights during weekend EQ raids. Now they are Vex Thal or ToV songs. Good nostalgia.

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>

Also Slide.

I'll always love Black Balloon, though. That fermata towards the end of the bridge is magical.

Last edited:

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

Also Slide.

I'll always love Black Balloon, though. That fermata towards the end of the bridge is magical.
I always thought the guitar and string parts in "Iris" were a direct ripoff of "World I Know" by Collective Soul.