90s songs that were OK the first time, but gave you cancer after they were played nonstop for months

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
its one of those songs that you turn the volume up if it comes on the radio. along with this one.
but to keep on topic
this started out as a really good song, but just seeing the thumbnail i cringe.
I didn't know til years later that the singer from The Wallflowers is Bob Dylan's son

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
its one of those songs that you turn the volume up if it comes on the radio. along with this one.
but to keep on topic
this started out as a really good song, but just seeing the thumbnail i cringe.
One Headlight - The original is okay but this happened:

Which was an absolutely incredible performance and all that exists now are a few shitty copies.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
"Creep" was (and still is) absolutely overplayed, I think it's just one of those ones that's been played so much that we are numb to it. Like turning nose blind to a bad smell.
I remember Creep being one I would skip over, but never really annoyed about. It’s a timeless classic in my book.
That said, I really started phasing out the radio pretty hard in 95/96 when I really got into punk as well as the start of all the P2P file sharing. so a lot of this stuff I wasn’t hearing very often

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I remember Creep being one I would skip over, but never really annoyed about. It’s a timeless classic in my book.
That said, I really started phasing out the radio pretty hard in 95/96 when I really got into punk as well as the start of all the P2P file sharing. so a lot of this stuff I wasn’t hearing very often
I mostly have been posting songs I genuinely enjoy and never got sick of, but that's one that truly was played to death for me despite initially digging it. Doesn't help that Radiohead has so many better songs but normies focus on that first single from that first album...

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Didn't realize forum has a limit of five YT videos per post, breaking out the second half of the Lilith Fair smorgasbord to a new post

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
you know, i never figured you for being into top 40. Jewel and Melissa Etheridge, yeah i can totally see, but the others? nah didnt see it.
i would have bet your favorite song of the 90s was something by L7

that entire album is awesome.
While I did listen to my fair share of Melissa Etheridge, Alanis Morisette and the Cranberries, all my D&D friends were in bands. Including a particularly popular Sublime cover band, and then some other friends of mine had bands that got big in the early east coast emo/hardcore scene.

I was also in a bunch of after school clubs and they had more poppy musical tastes.

• 2Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Not a bad song and not overplayed but I love it so I'm sharing it anyway

The descending Bm -> Bb -> A (Bm fall Bb Head over A feet) in the chorus is really fun to sing along to despite being "wrong" in the sense of traditional Western music theory. Awesome songwriting.

Also not at all an easy chord progression to make a harmonica solo work over. Pretty sure that's a D major harmonica but she still nails it over the Bbmaj, Fmaj, and Cmaj.

Last edited:

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
Also this seems like a great thread to mention Paramount+ has old Beavis and Butthead episodes with the music videos restored. It is a great trip down memory lane.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Also this seems like a great thread to mention Paramount+ has old Beavis and Butthead episodes with the music videos restored. It is a great trip down memory lane.

if it wasnt for B&B, i wouldnt have ever discovered White Zombie, i mean maybe i would have in a different manner, but probably everyone who got into them did so through B&B.

and yes, White Zombie was my absolute favorite band of the 90s. i never got sick of any of their songs. the radio tried their best to destroy them by playing More Human Than Human endlessly, but i heard Astrocreep-2000 so many times, i played MHtH more than the radio could play it

quick story
first WZ show i ever attended was when they started their Astrocreep tour and they played The Roseland Ballroom by the David Letterman studios in May or June 95. my drunk ex was bitching at me because i wasnt taking her to the concert. i said, no, its just us fellas going. her: i want to go, i can stay at the bar while you guys mosh. i said. i dont want you near there. i heard that their concerts were crazy. we went to the club and there was no mosh pit. the entire club was the mosh pit. no bars or anything. we couldnt even walk in. we wanted to get up front, so my friends got behind me and pushed me into the club like a battering ram and we fought, literally pushed and punched our way up to the stage. hands down craziest experience i ever had. it was a huge brawl. it was like that at the other WZ shows i attended. Rob Zombie's shows werent as crazy for whatever reason.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Also hey, how many times collectively do you guys think we've heard Stone Temple Pilots' "Interstate Love Song," "Plush," "Wicked Garden," "Creep," "Vasoline," "Dead & Bloated," "Big Empty," "Sex Type Thing," or "Trippin' On a Hole in a Paper Heart"? And not single one of us grumpy old fucks has seen fit to complain about any of them yet?

RIP Scott Weiland.

• 2Solidarity

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
if it wasnt for B&B, i wouldnt have ever discovered White Zombie, i mean maybe i would have in a different manner, but probably everyone who got into them did so through B&B.

and yes, White Zombie was my absolute favorite band of the 90s. i never got sick of any of their songs. the radio tried their best to destroy them by playing More Human Than Human endlessly, but i heard Astrocreep-2000 so many times, i played MHtH more than the radio could play it.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Also hey, how many times collectively do you guys think we've heard Stone Temple Pilots' "Interstate Love Song," "Plush," "Wicked Garden," "Creep," "Vasoline," "Dead & Bloated," "Big Empty," "Sex Type Thing," or "Trippin' On a Hole in a Paper Heart"? And not single one of us grumpy old fucks has seen fit to complain about any of them yet?

RIP Scott Weiland.
I have listened to Big Empty more than almost any other song ever.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Definitely Maybe has some really good stuff, but that was before wonderwall got played nonstop.

This Oasis song was huge in Great Britain. Had a Brit tell me once it was everyone's high school class song when they graduated, comparing it to the way Green Day's "Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)" was everyone in the US's high school class song.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
This Oasis song was huge in Great Britain. Had a Brit tell me once it was everyone's high school class song when they graduated, comparing it to the way Green Day's "Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)" was everyone in the US's high school class song.

Yeah this was played a lot here. I actually like Oasis as long as I only hear their songs once a decade or so.

• 1Like