90s songs that were OK the first time, but gave you cancer after they were played nonstop for months

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>

FROM THE 80s!
Dirty Dancing GIF

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
They had a huge cluster of hits in the early 90s, and reliably churned out good music for another 15 years. Under The Bridge, Interstate Love Song, and Nothing Else Matters all came out while I was in high school, so they are memberberry bombs on top of just being great songs in their own right.
I saw them last month, they can still kick some ass for being a couple geezers Astrocreep's age

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
I couldn't tell you albums, but looking at wiki that was the last one that was really popular.

After Stadium Arcadium, John Frusciante left the band (again) and they had a few albums with a new guy which were... ok. Frusciante recently rejoined the band and they put out a new double album which is pretty good but not mind-blowing like the older stuff. I think if they had consolidated the better songs into a single album it might have actually been a bigger deal but who knows.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider

I think this would be my #1 to actually stick with the thread title, now can someone just make a new thread

• 2Rustled
  • 1RAGE
Reactions: 2 users

TheAylix

Vyemm Raider
I think this fits the thread criteria perfectly:

First time I heard it, I thought it was catchy and fun! By the time I heard it on an episode of Friends months later, I was begging for temporary deafness.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Not a bad song and not overplayed but I love it so I'm sharing it anyway

The descending Bm -> Bb -> A (Bm fall Bb Head over A feet) in the chorus is really fun to sing along to despite being "wrong" in the sense of traditional Western music theory. Awesome songwriting.

Also not at all an easy chord progression to make a harmonica solo work over. Pretty sure that's a D major harmonica but she still nails it over the Bbmaj, Fmaj, and Cmaj.
Not ashamed to say this is one of my favorite songs that Harmonica solo is pretty amazing, I think the ending where she hums like she's looking at her baby or something is really unique, something I've never seen or heard in music before.. that said I hate most of her music but she has a few really stellar songs like Guardian, Reasons I Drink and ThankU are all great songs IMO, it's like she was on the best shrooms making those and the rest of her music I find meh.

(least favorite but still good)

• 1Solidarity

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
After Stadium Arcadium, John Frusciante left the band (again) and they had a few albums with a new guy which were... ok. Frusciante recently rejoined the band and they put out a new double album which is pretty good but not mind-blowing like the older stuff. I think if they had consolidated the better songs into a single album it might have actually been a bigger deal but who knows.
Yeah, the stuff with Frusciante is peak awesomeness. His riffs on Under the Bridge are precisely what make it Top 10 of All Time.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Not ashamed to say this is one of my favorite songs that Harmonica solo is pretty amazing, I think the ending where she hums like she's looking at her baby or something is really unique, something I've never seen or heard in music before.. that said I hate most of her music but she has a few really stellar songs like Guardian, Reasons I Drink and ThankU are all great songs IMO, it's like she was on the best shrooms making those and the rest of her music I find meh.

(least favorite but still good)
Jagged Little Pill has a lot of songs that fit chuk's theme of this thread, really. Like half the album was on the radio at one point or another, and played once an hour for years. As long as I turn off that part of my brain, tho, can still dig it.

I was pretty young when that album came out, but that was the period when my older sister and I would rush home every day to watch Total Request Live on MTV. I saw the world premier of quite a few of the video singles from that album and Young Pharmakos enjoyed the shit out of every one.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
By the way I don't think that a song can be made bad by overplaying, it has to be lame in some sort of way first.

Otherwise people would hate all those 90s boybands and girlbands that were played 24/7, though they did vary their sound and had more than one or two pmayed songs.
I'd say it's the other way around. The songs on the list were all very unique in some way. The Backstreet Boys and N'Sync's music was so generic and pointless that nobody remembers it now. Most of those songs that people came to hate got your attention because they weren't like everything else on the radio, but there's only so many times you can hear the same weird song.

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I'd say it's the other way around. The songs on the list were all very unique in some way. The Backstreet Boys and N'Sync's music was so generic and pointless that nobody remembers it now. Most of those songs that people came to hate got your attention because they weren't like everything else on the radio, but there's only so many times you can hear the same weird song.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, its radio itself, not the decade.

Even classic rock stations are unlistenable shit that end up making a person hate songs that were good in the first place.

Its funny in the age of streaming music, where you can find thousands of examples of algorithm-generated playlists that are 1000x better than the way the radio does it. It makes a person wonder, why the fuck do they still do it that way? I'm sure theres some boring historical reason why it got that way in the first place, but the question is why is it still that way when they could literally fire all the staff, plug in pandora or similar, and have a 1000x better product?
I've heard DJ's explain it. Most people don't listen to music all day. They listen for 10-20 minutes driving to and from work and maybe 5 minutes on their lunch break. When they only listen to 5 songs a day they don't want to hear some obscure b-side that the DJ likes, they want to hear the new hit song and the only way to deliver that is to play it every 20 minutes all day long. Sure it might be driving the hipster truck driver crazy, but he's not most of their audience.

• 2Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
ive heard of both bands, but i dont really know their music. my girlfriend loves the shit out of nsync and backstreet boys and was trying to get me to sing along with her last week on their songs. shit, she loves NKOTB too but i dont know their songs that well either. which is weird to me because they're all top 40 bands and i would have heard those songs for sure. i do know that "That way" song. i think Stern did a parody of it so thats why it sticks out, but either they played those songs on a softer rock station or i totally blanked on those songs