91st Academy Awards - Hoping to be the most woke Academy Awards ever!

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
A lot of people push for US elections to use a preferential voting system as well but the Oscars illustrate why it may be a bad idea, you end up with winners who are kind of the "mediocre" pick of everyone since all the top picks cancel each other out.

In the case of US voting, the reason for pushing for preferential voting isn't for top picks to cancel each other out, but to generally have it more like a run off between 2 candidates where a 3rd party candidate isn't getting a small % of the vote, thus allowing a candidate who likely wouldn't have a majority win, and wouldn't even have had a plurality if it was between the top 2 vote getters only.

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
The kid from Hunger Games became a smoke show.

ERaVcKL.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user
I finally got around to actually watching Bohemian Rhapsody. I was not in any rush since, imo the music speaks the story anyway, so might as well slap a Queen record on the table if I want to get into it.

But Rami won, and I thought I would take a look at the film.

Film is just a basic, solid Hollywood B, maybe a B+ (but probably not...).

But Malek did good. He took what was a shaky and kind of cliche narrative but at the end, I was feeling it. His eyes...

So, I vote thumbs up on Rami winning. That film would have been a trainwreck without him?

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
I heard the name Farrelly as the director & co-writer co-producer of Green Book.

Ummm , could that be one of the Farrelly brothers??

Yeah it is, good to see someone can move between genres and still make a good film.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I finally got around to actually watching Bohemian Rhapsody. I was not in any rush since, imo the music speaks the story anyway, so might as well slap a Queen record on the table if I want to get into it.

But Rami won, and I thought I would take a look at the film.

Film is just a basic, solid Hollywood B, maybe a B+ (but probably not...).

But Malek did good. He took what was a shaky and kind of cliche narrative but at the end, I was feeling it. His eyes...

So, I vote thumbs up on Rami winning. That film would have been a trainwreck without him?

In my opinion, I completely disagree. Rami looked nervous, embarrassed, and foolish in that role. He looks and acts as if he's in a high school play. I thought his performance was embarrassing and atrocious. To me, he literally ruined the movie.

Just my opinion, which I know is different than yours.I agree the film is a B movie for sure.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Article should read "Salty, joyless shitbag doesn't understand humor and is offended, news site publishes 1 person's opinion in attempt to manufacture outrage when literally no one besides this person gives a shit about this"

McCarthy's Oscars bunny dress criticised
what offended her? the bunnies themselves? she mad that she wore a dress in a comedy sketch? trying to wrap my head around this. clothing designers only care about their clothes being sold and getting the name out. i doubt they give two shits about what people do with their clothes once they're out the door. exception being when Nike who sponsors sporting events and their shoes explode on TV. yes thats a bad thing. bunnies on a dress? yeah, only this person cares.

If I can offer my 2 cents about he coverage and commentary of the Oscars, I will say, I find it tedious and basically misguided.

Hollywood is the center of the Oscar universe, and Hollywood is what it is. It is not high art, except every so often. It is not radical, except every so often. You get my drift.

People upset about Green Book, and also the film I just watched finally, Bohemian Rhapsody, do not get what I just said. They want Hollywood to be something it isn't.

Those people really irritate me. Just do your own thing, find your lane, enjoy. Stop trying to make Hollywood into something it's not.

Hey, Spike Lee got one finally. And Do The Right Thing was amazing when it came out. But that's how it goes.

If I disagree with anything, it is that I simply do not get the alleged "chemistry b/w Gaga and Cooper. I ain't buying it. I found Malek's Mercury more compelling.

That might be because I really don't much like Gaga, even though clearly she has chops.

And TheNozz, that scene is really intense especially the last minute oir so

My opinion

• 1Like
In my opinion, I completely disagree. Rami looked nervous, embarrassed, and foolish in that role. He looks and acts as if he's in a high school play. I thought his performance was embarrassing and atrocious. To me, he literally ruined the movie.

Just my opinion, which I know is different than yours.I agree the film is a B movie for sure.

My take is, the nervousness and awkwardness you correctly note, was Malek's attempt to bring out the essential instability of FM. Some artists are stable. Others are pretty much always a wreck. What you see as nerves and awkward, I think I am sometimes seeing Rami's ability to convey the cool mess FM was.

• 1Like

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There's some rumours out about voters not electing Mortensen for the oscar, because his act "not being a composition role", like they'd think Mortensen is an italian-american from 1960 Brooklyn or something.

Szlia

It's the only nominated performance I saw, but I found Bale's Cheney in Vice pretty impressive. Now, Oldman won last year for his portrayal of an overweight politician, so maybe that's why he got skipped!

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
IMAX has put Free Solo and Into the Spider-Verse back into theaters this weekend. Some of the shots in Free Solo are just incredible, and Spider-Verse should be a no brainer fro anyone who hasn't seen it.