91st Academy Awards - Hoping to be the most woke Academy Awards ever!

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
That Oscar slate looks super woke. The only movie on the winner list I've heard of and actually will see at some point is Black Panther.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

gak

<Gold Donor>
Gonna watch it tonight with the wife, hopefully it's 3 hours of jussie jokes and all the wakandans angrily move to africa to get away from rayciss whitey.

n.jpg

• 1Picard

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
SJW Twitter is losing their shit about Green Book winning.

It's hilarious.

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
Viggo should have gotten Best Actor. I don't get all the hate over Green Book. It was a great film

• 1Solidarity

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Happy or Mad? The movie looks off the charts on the woke-o-meter.
i dont get it, i read the synopsis and its about a gay black jazzman in jim crow getting harrassed by crackermen. thats an SJW wet dream. somebody earlier might have said the SJWs are mad because it shows how bad things really were compared to how much better it is now.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
i dont get it, i read the synopsis and its about a gay black jazzman in jim crow getting harrassed by crackermen. thats an SJW wet dream. somebody earlier might have said the SJWs are mad because it shows how bad things really were compared to how much better it is now.

The movie is about the white guy, mostly. And their relationship. Also the writers never actually talked to Dr. Shirley's family, which made them mad (they also don't believe their relationship was this friendly nor that Dr Shirley felt Tony was anything other than an employee to him, but I'm neither here nor there on that since the only people that know are both dead).

The Green Book itself is mostly a prop in the movie, never really felt worthy of being the title as, again, the movie is more about their relationship than anything to do with racism as a whole in the Jim Crow Era south. The movie is very surface level on anything bad. It's definitely not a deep analysis of anything, and more of a "hey white people, feel good about how its not as bad as it used to be" kinda movie.

It's like Crash, but entertaining and full of good acting and a fun story.

It also probably would not have won if the Oscars did voting for best picture like they do every other category. I bet it got a lot of second and third place votes in a highly divided field (thats where I would have probably put it if I ranked the noms), landing it on top.

• 1Like

Crimson

Peasant
Mad props to anyone of you who could stomach watching even one minute of this.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
The movie is about the white guy, mostly. And their relationship.

I am not sure I agree. The movie is totally told from his perspective, but what I got out of this movie is that they saved each other. He was a white ignorant, racist, uneducated goon, and the other one was a Black educated, cultured, brilliantly gifted man who wasn't black enough and not white and therefore had no safe refuge.

I did not see this as another white savior movie in the least bit and thought this movie did credit to both characters. Viggo was by far the most flawed of the two and through it all, he benefited the most through their time together.

My reason for feeling Viggo should have won was pretty simple: He was lost in that character. I never at one point saw Aragorn, or any of his other roles. I hate this SJW, "look like me" movement going on not because I don't want representation. Far from it. I don't want pandering, and right now, we are pandering to inclusion (Hello Overwatch). There is nothing genuine about it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
I am not sure I agree. The movie is totally told from his perspective, but what I got out of this movie is that they saved each other. He was a white ignorant, racist, uneducated goon, and the other one was a Black educated, cultured, brilliantly gifted man who wasn't black enough and not white and therefore had no safe refuge.

I did not see this as another white savior movie in the least bit and thought this movie did credit to both characters. Viggo was by far the most flawed of the two and through it all, he benefited the most through their time together.

My reason for feeling Viggo should have won was pretty simple: He was lost in that character. I never at one point saw Aragorn, or any of his other roles. I hate this SJW, "look like me" movement going on not because I don't want representation. Far from it. I don't want pandering, and right now, we are pandering to inclusion (Hello Overwatch). There is nothing genuine about it.

To be clear, I do think the "white savior garbage movie" narrative is overblown. I dont really consider it a white savior movie, but if someone told me they thought it was without being a ragebeast, I probably wouldn't fault them. It is definitely a feel good movie that really doesn't challenge you in any way. I also don't believe every movie that shows us the darkness of our past needs to be some gut punch, but with a title like Green Book, I think the product probably should have veered a little more into gut punch territory, but "Driving Dr. Shirley" probably wouldn't sell as well. I can see why a Black audience (especially of a certain age) would be disappointed with what the movie gave us; the Green Book is a significant piece of Black American history and it's basically a prop in this movie that plays into 2 scenes.

I certainly won't argue that Viggo was great in it, he was. I totally agree that he was Tony Lip and didn't seem to be phoning it in in any way. It was definitely a top performance of the year.

But when I say it's "mostly about the white guy", I'd say 2/3rds or so of the narrative beats and the longer story arc belong to Tony. The movie starts and ends with Tony (though Dr. Shirley's arc does have more beats in the final scenes of the movie, but I would still argue Tony's final acts are still "bigger"). For each thing Tony teaches Dr. Shirley, the reverse probably happens twice and involving bigger character growth.

tl;dr This was a pretty good movie, with 2 great actors, that MAY have an argument for being a white savior movie, but it is no where near bad enough to warrant the backlash it has seen today.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So to win an oscar for a black film

12 years a slave
a black concert violinist turned slave is saved by a white man

green book
a black pianist on a concert tour is saved by a white man

Where are all these musical wakandans at? The only black musicians i know pee on girls
p071sv60.jpg

i guess theres that one girl wakandan named after a piano.

• 2Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

gak

<Gold Donor>
If any awards show needed Ricky Gervais ripping into people for 3 hours it's this one.
Even fast-forwarding it was brutal trying to stay awake, wife liked a couple of dresses in the pre-show red carpet though.

k.gif

spronk

FPS noob
well, the international crowd wanted Roma to win but Hollywood money hates that movie since its Netflix
the black people crowd wanted BlackKKKlansman to win, and to give Spike the oscar too
the gays wanted A Star Is Born to Win

essentially all the progressives split the vote so the only thing left were jews and old white people who voted Green Book

Oscar ballots are also done on preferential voting, so you don't just choose your top pick but you rank your picks and it goes through rounds of elimination, which means it can be possible to "rig" the system if there are tons of strong contenders. A lot of people push for US elections to use a preferential voting system as well but the Oscars illustrate why it may be a bad idea, you end up with winners who are kind of the "mediocre" pick of everyone since all the top picks cancel each other out.

Last edited: