91st Academy Awards - Hoping to be the most woke Academy Awards ever!

spronk

FPS noob
Ratings will dip again.

Celebrities are entering a meltdown era where they just can’t understand why the majority of Americans despise them and their banal works. Kids rather play fortnite than go to the movies unless it’s Black panther (smart move to add - woke and marvel) Adults don’t wanna pay $20 to get preached at. Nerds torrent.

Hell I think spronk spronk is the only guy going to these artsy fartsy films.

Kubrick was right.

Fuck the Oscars.

i'll watch violent artsy shit - i thought blackkkkkkkkkkkklansmen, sorry to bother you, etc etc were all ok but i don't watch stuff like green book, roma, and anything else that i summarize as "2 hours of gay cowboys eating pudding"

my criteria is either it has to have a lot of violence, tons of hot chick nudity (aka french lesbo movies), aliens, or some sci fi element for me to be even interested. i went a lot more to theaters in 2018 cuz I also pay $20/mo for AMC A-List which lets me see 3 movies/week, but the last few months I just go once a week or so.

i haven't watched the oscars/emmies in years now though too long and i'd rather watch twitch. i do wonder why that natalie portman movie got snubbed, Lux Vox or something it seemed like a super oscar bait movie

I also wonder about Roma, movie theaters fucking HATE it - AMC and Regal are refusing to play it as part of their Feb "go watch oscar movies" package deal - since it dropped on Netflix 1 week after playing in like ... 3 theaters. If the Oscars give it some love then the big movie studios will be on AMC/Regal/Cinemarks shit list.

Juvarisx

Florida
Roma is worth watching in 4k with Atmos if you can. The subject matter is not my thing at all but its so beautifully shot with amazing sound design, its awesome watching a master at work.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Eric Andre should host it.

Here's the rehearsed opening:

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 3 users

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
The only awards show worth watching is the Golden Globes, because the audience is drunk and they don't take it seriously. The Oscar's in particular is too long, and too obsessed with itself.

I am always torn on awards season, because while they don't mean shit, I like to see people i like get recognition.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Szlia

these artsy fartsy films.
The first problem is that you think these films are "artsy fartsy." Roma might be the only one that could sorta apply (my understanding being that the Yorgos Lanthimos is good but significantly more accessible that some of his previous works). That being said, the Academy Awards did not shy away from some films that were pretty radical. You have things like The Tree of Life, Beasts of the Southern Wild, Birdman, The Revenant or There Will Be Blood that got best pictures nominations. If you go further back in time, with the shorter lists, you will find even less boundaries pushing / experimental / non-mainstream films (note that it has little impact on the quality of the films themselves, there are great classic movies and bad unorthodox movies). Stone's JFK in 1991 maybe? Lynch's The Elephant Man in 1980? Taxi Driver, The Deer Hunter earlier... so like a dozen over 40+ years and 250ish nominated films... so no, unless your definition of "artsy fartsy" is "not action, horror or low brow comedy", the Academy Awards are not and have never been the home of "artsy fartsy" films.

Serious art films are generally shown in film festivals such as Cannes, Venice, Berlin, Rotterdam, Locarno, etc.... and from there shown in smaller film festivals around the world and in art house theaters / film institutes. Let me give you some "artsy fartsy" I saw earlier this week in a film festival: a 4 hours, black and white, sung film about militia terrorizing villagers in the '70s during the Marcos dictatorship in the Philippines! Not that great but it had its moments!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

The label is typically applied to "limited release that no one sees outside Netflix" movies, not just shit like Tree of Life (dear god that movie was horrible). Probably because of the company they keep lol.

iannis

Musty Nester
Rob zombie movies are art movies!

At least they tend to be visually interesting.

My hot take is that it the writer assumes you're stoned, and that's what allows his movie to make any sense at all, that's an art movie. Which is not the same as "better when stoned".

• 1Seriously?

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I love how Black Panther gets the Token Black nod. I stopped watching these a long long time ago when it Just got so obvious as to why the nominations were occurring as opposed to being worthy of the accolade. If a Super Hero movie deserved the chance at winning, it would certainly be Avengers Infinity War. Avengers actually has a relevant story that is even a bit ahead of its time. Over-population and limited resources is an issue that will come to pass whether we ignore it or not. Avengers even does a descent job of being race inclusive for those who gave a shit. Add to that the fact that it is a culmination of films having taken place over a fucking decade and I wonder why it was NOT nominated. I know that answer.

At this point I hope Black Panther wins every award, even the ones they are not nominated for.

Best Actor goes too..Daniel Day-Lewis.....However since this is the year 2018, he will share the award with Chadwick Boseman for his riveting performance playing a feral kitty cat.

• 1Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
IW really was pretty fucking fantastic. They took 10 years worth of intertwined movies (which in itself was an amazing feat), and managed to make part 1 of the finale without fucking it up, which was not an easy feat. To top it all off, the "protagonist" of the movie is Thanos himself, something that occasionally happens, but rarely well. They did such a superb job with him.

Fuck Black Panther.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
IW really was pretty fucking fantastic. They took 10 years worth of intertwined movies (which in itself was an amazing feat), and managed to make part 1 of the finale without fucking it up, which was not an easy feat. To top it all off, the "protagonist" of the movie is Thanos himself, something that occasionally happens, but rarely well. They did such a superb job with him.

Fuck Black Panther.
none of these awards are based on merit. thats shitlord thinking. these movies are based on feelings and virtue, but most of all politics. who greased the most palms who kissed the most ass and who scored the most brownie points with their message.

Cybsled

I first realized the Oscars were bullshit when Shakespeare in Love won over Saving Private Ryan lol

• 6Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Sterling

El Presidente
I mean they're mostly bullshit but they do affect the economics of the industry so they do matter to some degree. Some shitass movie wins some Oscars, it makes money and more shitty movies like it get made.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I mean they're mostly bullshit but they do affect the economics of the industry so they do matter to some degree. Some shitass movie wins some Oscars, it makes money and more shitty movies like it get made.
Halle Berry gets porked by billybob 18years ago and can command prime movie roles and high salary.

18years later, still can't act for shit, is lucky black don't crack, everyone is praying she doesn't fuck up John Wick 3.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Alright faggots, time for some real movie analysis. So far my personal rankings are as follows:

1. Green Book
2. The Favourite
3. Bohemian Rhapsody
4. Black Panther
5. Blackkklansman

Which in reality is more like:

1. Green Book
2. The Favourite
Bohemian Rhapsody
Black Panther
Blackkklansman

Still have to finish Roma (halfway through and it's snore city), and start Vice and A Star is Born.

Green Book and The Favourite are neck and neck in my opinion. Great movies.

• 1Like

Pops

so woke that black men refuse to host it

655_v9_ba.jpg

There's one brave black man who wants the job

spronk

FPS noob
My 2018 best movie list

1. Avengers Infinity War
2. Mission Impossible Fallout

Thats it. Some good movies - A Quiet Place, Spider-Man into the Spiderverse, Ready Player One, Ant Man, Deadpool 2 - but only those 2 I will consider "forever" classics ala Mad Max Fury Road, Logan, Deadpool 1, etc.

• 1Solidarity

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Alright faggots, time for some real movie analysis. So far my personal rankings are as follows:

1. Green Book
2. The Favourite
3. Bohemian Rhapsody
4. Black Panther
5. Blackkklansman

Which in reality is more like:

1. Green Book
2. The Favourite
Bohemian Rhapsody
Black Panther
Blackkklansman

Still have to finish Roma (halfway through and it's snore city), and start Vice and A Star is Born.

Green Book and The Favourite are neck and neck in my opinion. Great movies.

Vice added to my rankings:

1. Green Book
2. The Favourite
3. Vice
4. Bohemian Rhapsody
5. Black Panther
6. Blackkklansman

It was fine. *shrug*

W. was better

• 1Like

Szlia

Released in 2017 in the UK but in 2018 in the US and across Europe, my top film of the year is probably The Death of Stalin.

Other strong contenders were, in no order:

One Cut of the Dead: japanese zombie tour de force.

The Battleship Island (Director's Cut): over the top korean historical action drama.

3 Faces: supremely elegant iranian meta dramedy.

One Nation, One King (Un peuple et son roi): stylized take on the end of french monarchy.

Hanagatami: Japanese UFO (Unidentified Filmed Object) about youth, idealism, love and death.

PS: There are 70mm film prints of Roma and supposedly one should be screened in the near future in a not too distant theater. I'll probably check that out.

Szlia

Oh and some notes about the Best Foreign Language Film category:

Capernaum: released around here, Not seen.

Cold War: released around here. Not seen. Looked a bit formulaic to me and I was not in the mood for this type of story (woman in love with crappy man). Supposedly very good though.

Roma: Should see soon. Supposedly brilliant craftsmanship.

Never Look Away: Not released around here. Not seen.

Shoplifters: Seen. Nice film with a gut wrenching third act. The problem is that for that 3rd act to work (and it does), you need more than an hour of ok slice of life that does not seem to go anywhere.