91st Academy Awards - Hoping to be the most woke Academy Awards ever!

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Alright faggots, time for some real movie analysis. So far my personal rankings are as follows:

1. Green Book
2. The Favourite
3. Bohemian Rhapsody
4. Black Panther
5. Blackkklansman

Which in reality is more like:

1. Green Book
2. The Favourite
Bohemian Rhapsody
Black Panther
Blackkklansman

Still have to finish Roma (halfway through and it's snore city), and start Vice and A Star is Born.

Green Book and The Favourite are neck and neck in my opinion. Great movies.

Bisi...thoughts on Best Actor? I've heard Mahershala Ali is great in the Green Book, but seems like Rami Malek is cleaning up at all the other award shows for his Freddie Mercury.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
On one hand Black Panther is not great and shouldn't be noninated. It's okay. On the otherhand I like to see a super hero movie nominated.

Fadaar

That guy
On one hand Black Panther is not great and shouldn't be noninated. It's okay. On the otherhand I like to see a super hero movie nominated.

Biggest problem is that Infinity War came out the same year and is a vastly superior movie

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Have they ever given major wins to the first part of a series? Keeping in mind that Godfather doesn't count.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Lord of the rings trilogy won some stuff

Yeah and no big wins until Return of the King, and Fellowship was a superior movie to Return imo. The trilogy became increasingly reliant on wow factor with the epic battle scenes rather than telling a good story.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Lots of films took big wins at the Oscars and became series. Such as Rocky and Silence of the Lambs

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Frankly BP getting nominated for diversity doesn't both me...since like I've noted previously since they expanded the potential field to 10 films they usually nominate 3-5 shit films in support of super artsy bullshit. The IW question is a legit one, though.

Szlia

In your analysis, you all seem to forget that Black Panther is also 2018's highest grossing film in the US. Infinity War is not that far behind, but it's behind.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
When has that mattered with the Oscars?

Well, there was Avatar being nominated for best picture despite being an awful movie.

Or Titanic winning for best picture when it was pretty far from it.

Honestly, the academy is weird and too influenced by campaigning. See: Crash

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Well, there was Avatar being nominated for best picture despite being an awful movie.

Honestly, the academy is weird and too influenced by campaigning. See: Crash

Fair enough. I'd argue that Titanic and even Avatar are are more superior movies than Black Panther is on an Oscar consideration scale though. And the revenue difference between BP and IW isn't enough to give BP the clear win over IW when you factor in how much better a movie like IW was.

I dunno. I suppose trying to make sense out of anything awards show related is foolish, even more so now that it's about outer politics rather than the inner-org politics.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
giphy (4).gif

I think Titanic was one of the top 5 films of all time. All time. It was trope-y I admit (Cameron was running on a well-built formula for success) but the production effort of bringing that film to life was mind-blowing, and yes... I'll say it and own it: their relationship was incredibly believable and I cri everytiem I watch it.

• 2EyeRoll
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf

Fadaar

That guy
View attachment 192460

I think Titanic was one of the top 5 films of all time. All time. It was trope-y I admit (Cameron was running on a well-built formula for success) but the production effort of bringing that film to life was mind-blowing, and yes... I'll say it and own it: their relationship was incredibly believable and I cri everytiem I watch it.

I was about to call you faggot but I hadn't read the username yet. Dammit you took that one from me. Titanic and Avatar are both special because of the technology behind them and the influence they had on films afterward, otherwise neither are best picture worthy for their respective years. Titanic is a great movie however, more than worthy of that title. Avatar was about as generic a plot as you can get. I mean it's just Fern Gully mixed with bits of the Matrix and generic sci-fi tech seen in tons of other franchises (Alien universe, Halo, etc).

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
View attachment 192460

IF0yE_copy.jpg

• 4Worf