A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (2019)

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
5.00 star(s) Rating: 5.00/5 1 Votes
Title: A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (2019)

Genre: Drama

Director: Marielle Heller

Cast: Tom Hanks, Matthew Rhys, Chris Cooper, Susan Kelechi Watson, Enrico Colantoni, Maryann Plunkett, Tammy Blanchard, Wendy Makkena, Sakina Jaffrey, Carmen Cusack, Noah Harpster, Maddie Corman, Joe Fishel, Scott Rapp

Release: 2019-11-22

Plot: An award-winning cynical journalist, Lloyd Vogel, begrudgingly accepts an assignment to write an Esquire profile piece on the beloved television icon Fred Rogers. After his encounter with Rogers, Vogel's perspective on life is transformed.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
lol, why is Hanks portraying Fred Rogers as near retarded?
i dont remember him having that sappy grin all the time. yeah he smiled, but he wasnt autistic.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I watched that excellent documentary that came out recently about Mr Rogers. It basically said he was Jesus, and a few hateful people tried to claim he may have been gay, but even the gay guy on the show said "I have amazing gaydar, and he was not gay." Just trying to find something to take down a wonderful human being.

On that documentary, and probably this movie, they always have the crippled kids. That shit breaks my heart man... I have a daughter, she's absolutely perfect, so healthy, beautiful, just lucky.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hanks will probably be nominated for an Oscar. Perfect choice in casting him as Rogers.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
yea, he has like retard face on, instead of nice guy happy face

his face is very wrong
ya know Hanks is older than me so he probably didnt grow up on Mr Rogers and the younger guys here didnt see it much either. because his manner is completely wrong. Mr Rogers was a regular dude, yeah he talked slow and steady, but he wasnt this downsy. i really dont understand wtf he's going for.

• 2Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
ya know Hanks is older than me so he probably didnt grow up on Mr Rogers and the younger guys here didnt see it much either. because his manner is completely wrong. Mr Rogers was a regular dude, yeah he talked slow and steady, but he wasnt this downsy. i really dont understand wtf he's going for.
yea i'm sure thats why i'm so critical, i grew up w/ mr rogers, and hanks looks like the bizarro version, like YEA i'd think hanks rogers would want to diddle little kids.

• 2Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Hard not to see Tom Hanks, but I can see a resemblance to Mr Rogers in parts. Honestly though I'm not sure who else could have played Mr Rogers.
His mannerisms are definitely off in that trailer.
I'll watch with blinders on.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I thought he looked more the part but all I keep hearing is Tom Hanks, not Mr. Rogers. Watched a lot of Mr. Rogers (plus Sesame Street and Electric Company) so if they are able to nail all the supporting characters (Mr. McFeely, etc.) it should be ok. Unless it's a trainwreck it's got Oscars written all over it. What's amazing is almost every documentary on him plus people who've met him in real life all say the same thing. He really was that genuine off the screen as he was on the screen. Probably one of the few "real" human beings you'll see in your life.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Well, watching that trailer I think I must have got something in my eye, some dust or something, I am just going to go over here in the corner and wipe it out of there. Yeah.

Boy, whatever the criticism of the mannerisms, and I actually agree, you know this is going to be a serious water-works movie and will be very, very good.

Hanks, you have had the ability to make me ball like a little baby over the years - Philadelphia, Gump, even Saving Private Bourne. He's a long way from Money Pit and Bachelor Party.

He is truly amazing, and I will fight you if you think otherwise. He is also part of some of my fav TV of all time, Band of Brothers.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
yea i'm sure thats why i'm so critical, i grew up w/ mr rogers, and hanks looks like the bizarro version, like YEA i'd think hanks rogers would want to diddle little kids.
i think i get it, he crossed Mr Rogers with Barney the Dinosaur and assumed Mr Rogers was this goofus back in the 70s and 80s too. has to be. other thing, the show wasnt only about him. he had guests, he did the puppets characters, he had video clips. i liked those other parts too. kids werent going to just sit around for 30 minutes and watch him talk.

Kiki

Log Wizard
Tom Hanks is great, but he breaks the illusion for me in this. I don't think it was a good casting decision but I'll withhold judgement until I see the entire movie.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
I don't think it's a terrible casting choice by itself, but his portrayal is definitely a semi-retarded "naive nice". It's wrong.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I don't think it's a terrible casting choice by itself, but his portrayal is definitely a semi-retarded "naive nice". It's wrong.

i don't know, watching the mr rogers doc he was for sure a very very odd duck socially with other adults

either way, although i'm a big tom hanks fan, the fact I just watched the documentary not to long ago is leaving me with very little interest in this movie - like, why am I going to watch this after a great in depth documentary?

• 1Picard
  • 1Like
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database