A brain teasing probability puzzle

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I thought FoH was a bunch of intelligent nerds... apparently it's just a bunch of neckbeards. My mistake.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Kaines, I've been telling that to these morons for months.

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Kaines where did you get your degree?
Texas A&M University School of Law

It was Texas Wesleyan when I attended, then A&M bought them.

Kaines, I've been telling that to these morons for months.
And you've been wrong the whole time. The math works better to illustrate the idea when there are an infinite number of boxes to choose from. If there are an infinite number, your first choice is wrong. Every time, it's wrong. When the host removes all but 1 other possibility, switching is a guaranteed win. Now go away.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
If you flip a coin a million times, and the first 999,999 times it comes up as tails. What are the odds that it will come up heads on the 1,000,000th flip?

Jait

Molten Core Raider
They don't get it. It's a binary choice.

If you flip a coin once, just once. And you say heads in the air. Changing your answer when it lands does not improve your odds without new information. It's always 50/50.

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
If you flip a coin a million times, and the first 999,999 times it comes up as tails. What are the odds that it will come up heads on the 1,000,000th flip?
100%

Everyone knows that a one in ten chance is 10%, but one in a million is a guarantee.

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Let's change what's in the boxes just for illustrative purposes (it actually doesn't change the odds). I'm going to put number 1 - 20 under 20 different boxes. You're goal is to pick the box with a 20 under it. After you make your first pick, I remove 18 "wrong" choices, showing you 18 different numbers, but none of them are the number 20. Then I ask if you want to switch boxes. Do you?

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
I think the real stumbling block is assuming that some sort of arbitrarily decided sequence of events has an effect on the final outcome.

In my example, the 1,000,000th flip is still 50/50 regardless of the fact that the previous 999,999 flips have been tails.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Or they're trolling. But I'll assume they're just very Human.

They also get caught up on the idea that the box they think they have a better chance of winning by switching to now has exactly the same chance of being right as the one they originally picked. It's a new scenario, nothing that came before has any impact on the final choice except their belief that they couldn't have picked the right one from the get go. That's just faulty intuition, not logic.

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Or they're trolling. But I'll assume they're just very Human.

They also get caught up on the idea that the box they think they have a better chance of winning by switching to now has exactly the same chance of being right as the one they originally picked. It's a new scenario, nothing that came before has any impact on the final choice except their belief that they couldn't have picked the right one from the get go. That's just faulty intuition, not logic.
Actually it's the knowledge that the box you initially picked has 1/n chance of being right and a (n-1)/n chance of being wrong. When given the chance to move off of my (n-1)/n chance of being wrong, you should take it, especially as n gets larger. Hence my illustration of an infinite number of boxes to choose from. Your first choice is (inf-1)/inf chance of being wrong, which is 1/1. 100% chance of being wrong. Switching IS the only logical answer.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
So if I asked you if a flip of a coin was 50/50, you'd say yes?

But then I tell you the coin once had 100 sides, and were down to just two. That changes the odds?

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Only if I got to choose a side at random and thought it was the number 100. Then you remove 98 "wrong" choices and ask me to pick AGAIN. The fact that two choices are made is the important part. You are trying to switch what's in the box by flipping the coin AFTER you removed the sides. The flip happens BEFORE you take away 98 sides and then the game begins.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Read the original post. We're talking about 3 choices, not 100, not infinite.

If there were more than 3, you'd be right. Because the wrong choice would stay through the elimination despite always being wrong. I should have said a 3 sided coin, that might have made it more simple for you to grasp.

edit: The odds your box is correct increased just as much as the other box. You had a 33% chance of being right the first time, so did the other box.

Kaines

Potato Supreme
The math works for any number of boxes above 2. Be it 3, 4, 5, 10, 20, 100, or infinite. The math is the same every time. The odds your first choice is wrong is (n-1)/n. Vegas would take those odds, and your money, any day.

Kaines

Potato Supreme
edit:The oddsyour box is correctincreasedjust as much as the other box. You had a 33% chance of being right the first time, so did the other box.
Wrong. The odds your box is right/wrong never changes. Because the correct box is never changed.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
After a shower and running this through my head I realized it takes a very big man to admit when they're wrong.

So I'm not going to do it.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Hey Kaines,

WTF is this 1-20 horseshit? Cram it directly up your ass and stick to the Monty Haul problem. We have a totally awesome argument over it that we need to resolve.

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
If you take a standard deck of cards, and you take a card from that deck, the chances you have pulled an ace are 50/50. It's either an ace, or it's not.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
If you take a standard deck of cards, and you take a card from that deck, the chances you have pulled an ace are 50/50. It's either an ace, or it's not.
Sure.

If the standard deck of cards had only 2 cards