A brain teasing probability puzzle

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
This problem also depends entirely on the host being REQUIRED to show you a $1/goat box. If he is motivated to avoid paying out and can do whatever he wants, you're playing rock/paper/scissors with him

The problem also doesn't seem to apply to Deal or No Deal. I'm not too confident on that assertion though

Entire thing reeks of "let's present some silly scenario with unstated imperatives and sound clever by misleading people"

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
If you have a group of random people in a room how many do you need before there is a 50/50 chance that there is a shared birthday?

The answer may surprise you.
Actually it wouldn't, I'd read up on that before. Still quite interesting though!

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
The wording of the problem is stupid because it doesn't say "the host will always pick a goat." That's important and the reason I, and probably lots of others, misconceptualized it.

The second set of choices is not always the same.

Scenarios of switching, assuming you always pick A first (because the first choice is meaningless)
A is car, B/C are goats. You switch and lose (1/3 time)
A is goat, B is car, C is goat. Host shows C (he's forced to, it's the only goat option), you switch to B, you win (1/3 of the time)
A is goat, B is goat, C is car. Host shows B (he's forced to, it's the only goat option), you switch to C, you win (1/3 of the time)
Win 2/3, lose 1/3

Scenarios of not switching
A is car, you win
B is car, you lose
C is car, you lose
Win 1/3, lose 2/3
I agree with your assessment that "the wording of the problem is bullshit." It's exceptionally hard to use written words to explain multiple quantities and their relationships with very much precision at all, which is exactly why math exists.

But I offer a somewhat more detailed, precise, and accurate explanation of the scenario:

Always switching =
A is car, B & C are goats. Host shows B. You switch and lose. (1/4 of the time)
A is car, B & C are goats. Host shows C. You switch and lose. (1/4 of the time)
A is goat, B is car, C is goat. Host shows C (he's forced to, it's the only goat option), you switch to B, you win. (1/4 of the time)
A is goat, B is goat, C is car. Host shows B (he's forced to, it's the only goat option), you switch to C, you win. (1/4 of the time)
Win 2/4, lose 2/4

Never switching =
A is car, B & C are goats. Host shows B. You win. (1/4 of the time)
A is car, B & C are goats. Host shows C. You win. (1/4 of the time)
A is goat, B is car, C is goat. Host shows C (he's forced to, it's the only goat option), you lose. (1/4 of the time)
A is goat, B is goat, C is car. Host shows B (he's forced to, it's the only goat option), you lose. (1/4 of the time)
Win 2/4, lose 2/4

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
What if I know the odds are better if I switch but I still don't want to switch? The prize is blood money and an innocent person will be killed if I win the 100,000 and I don't want to switch. But the poll says I can only answer no if I agree the odds don't change. This means I can't answer the poll!

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Honestly I couldn't wrap my mind around the concept and was with Araysar: you guys are all fucking crazy.

However, I got around to visualize the concept with that bit from the wiki.

Yes; you should switch. The first door has a 1/3 chance of winning, but the second door has a 2/3 chance. Here's a good way to visualize what happened. Suppose there are a million doors, and you pick door #1. Then the host, who knows what's behind the doors and will always avoid the one with the prize, opens them all except door #777,777. You'd switch to that door pretty fast, wouldn't you?
she offers a perfect example

its marvelously amazing how many of you are so fucking stupid, go get refunds all of you, you are fucking dumber than my cat's shit.

everyone of you, go get refunds on your "math" and "statistics" degrees.

your choice at first selection is never 1 in 3, or 2 in 3, or 3 in 3, or whatever the fuck you want to believe. your first choice is ALWAYS invalidated by the host because at second selection he ALWAYS presents you with a 1/2 choice of exactly same options regardless of what you picked in your first turn thus your choice at first selection is never 1/3, even if you pick the right door. your choice at first selection is actually 0/0.
the host never turns around and says, you picked the right door on your first try so you win, he always offers you an alternate. and the alternate is always. one door you selected, a goat door, and an unknown door, which means your selection is always 50/50

you are all so fucking stupid, how the fuck do you even live with yourselves.

holy shit, i am gonna edit this post again and ask how is it possible that so many of you are so fucking stupid.

i should start using as an interview question to weed out all the dumb motherfuckers such as yourselves

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
you are all so fucking stupid, how the fuck do you even live with yourselves.

holy shit, i am gonna edit this post again and ask how is it possible that so many of you are so fucking stupid.
I'm not even going to try to understand how some of these people remember to breathe. But it's pretty clear where they're being led astray about this problem. There's a false equivalence being made where both of the two different goats = you lose. The fallacy that "you lose" is only one single event leads to an incorrect enumeration of the possible outcomes.

If you replace the two goats in the original scenario with "the top half of a mtf transsexual" and "the bottom half of a ftm transsexual", and rephrase the rules so that players win whatever is behind the door they chose, then you'll start seeing people put enough effort in to correctly enumerate the possibilities.

iannis

Musty Nester
I think we can dig deeper.

It's a continuous event, not two discrete ones. Your first choice informs your second. In itself the first choice is meaningless, in relation to the second choice the first choice is meaningful.

Pretty sure the problem is just the semantics of the original post, which most of us instantly recognized as a Monty variation and responded to as such. That would make it a hellish exam question -- a poorly stated monty hall problem. Khalid, don't do this shit to your poor hung-over half-retarded students.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
perfect example of the group think fallacy because wikipedia said so

youre all operating from a faulty premise

iannis

Musty Nester
If by faulty premise you mean we were responding to what he meant rather that what he wrote, then yes.

If by faulty premise you mean the logic of the 66% is bad, you're just dumb.

There's a 50/50 for you!

Big Dummy.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Pretty sure the problem is just the semantics of the original post, which most of us instantly recognized as a Monty variation and responded to as such. That would make it a hellish exam question -- a poorly stated monty hall problem. Khalid, don't do this shit to your poor hung-over half-retarded students.
The crux of my argument (and Araysar's) is actually that the Monty Hall problem is specifically poorly worded in a way that allows lazy people to take an incorrect mental shortcut and end up correctly doing the incorrect math.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
I'm not even going to try to understand how some of these people remember to breathe. But it's pretty clear where they're being led astray about this problem. There's a false equivalence being made where both of the two different goats = you lose. The fallacy that "you lose" is only one single event leads to an incorrect enumeration of the possible outcomes.

If you replace the two goats in the original scenario with "the top half of a mtf transsexual" and "the bottom half of a ftm transsexual", and rephrase the rules so that players win whatever is behind the door they chose, then you'll start seeing people put enough effort in to correctly enumerate the possibilities.
ding ding ding

Zuuljin

Bronze Knight of the Realm

It doesn't matter. If your going to count each goat as a different goat,(Goat1 and Goat2), then you'll need to account for that in your winning. So for wins you'll have to add:
A is car, B & C are goats. Host shows B. You switch and lose. (1/6 of the time)
A is car, B & C are goats. Host shows C. You switch and lose. (1/6 of the time)
A is goat1, B is car, C is goat2. Host shows C (he's forced to, it's the only goat option), you switch to B, you win. (1/6 of the time)
A is goat2, B is car, C is goat1. Host shows C (he's forced to, it's the only goat option), you switch to B, you win. (1/6 of the time)
A is goat1, B is goat2, C is car. Host shows B (he's forced to, it's the only goat option), you switch to C, you win. (1/6 of the time)
A is goat2, B is goat1, C is car. Host shows B (he's forced to, it's the only goat option), you switch to C, you win. (1/6 of the time)

Which is surprise surprise.... 4/6... or 2/3.

Think of the concept like this, without probability. You have 10 doors. You choose door 1. You either chose the car, or the car is in one of the other 9 doors. The host opens 8 of the other doors as he cannot open the prize (its implied.). So the car is either behind your 1 door, or it is *still* behind one of the other 9 doors. But you know 8 of them are empty. By switching, your choosing "the other 9 doors". So which is more likely, the car is behind 1 chosen door, or its somewhere behind the other 9 chosen doors?

Now instead of 10 doors, you have 3 doors. So its either behind 1 door, or its behind the other 2 doors.

Hope that cleared it up.

Edit: If your just arguing over the wording of the original problem, then I guess we can all agree it was worded poorly. I'll leave the above as an answer to the intended Monty Hall problem if anyone was still curious.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Close, but no cigar.

Always switching =
A is car, B & C are goats 1 and 2, respectively. Host shows B. You switch and win goat 2.
A is car, B & C are goats 1 and 2, respectively. Host shows C. You switch and win goat 1.
A is car, B & C are goats 2 and 1, respectively. Host shows B. You switch and win goat 1.
A is car, B & C are goats 2 and 1, respectively. Host shows C. You switch and win goat 2.
A is goat1, B is car, C is goat2. Host shows C (he's forced to, it's the only goat option), you switch to B, you win a car.
A is goat2, B is car, C is goat1. Host shows C (he's forced to, it's the only goat option), you switch to B, you win a car.
A is goat1, B is goat2, C is car. Host shows B (he's forced to, it's the only goat option), you switch to C, you win a car.
A is goat2, B is goat1, C is car. Host shows B (he's forced to, it's the only goat option), you switch to C, you win a car.

DiddleySquat

So to rephrase the problem: Choose one of 3 doors. Behind it is the truth about Araysar (a)trollinghardor (b)really being obtuse. Then one door is opened for us, in which it is revealed Araysar is (b)really being obtuse. So we switch - because we hoping to find he's just (a)trollinghard- but since he IS trolling REALhard, he instantly switches his stance (b)really being obtuse.

So the final door is opened and reveals... LUMIE. End of world ensues. The only thing that can now bring us salvation, is FAITH in the fact that Araysar is a rational person. And then it strikes us...

seatbelts.

/oblivion

DiddleySquat

Close, but no cigar.

Always switching =
A is car, B & C are goats 1 and 2, respectively. Host shows B. You switch and win goat 2.
A is car, B & C are goats 1 and 2, respectively. Host shows C. You switch and win goat 1.
A is car, B & C are goats 2 and 1, respectively. Host shows B. You switch and win goat 1.
A is car, B & C are goats 2 and 1, respectively. Host shows C. You switch and win goat 2.
A is goat1, B is car, C is goat2. Host shows C (he's forced to, it's the only goat option), you switch to B, you win a car.
A is goat2, B is car, C is goat1. Host shows C (he's forced to, it's the only goat option), you switch to B, you win a car.
A is goat1, B is goat2, C is car. Host shows B (he's forced to, it's the only goat option), you switch to C, you win a car.
A is goat2, B is goat1, C is car. Host shows B (he's forced to, it's the only goat option), you switch to C, you win a car.
So what you arereallysaying is you are able to pick the car on your first choice in 4 of the 8 cases, instead of an expected 1 in 3?

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
This problem also depends entirely on the host being REQUIRED to show you a $1/goat box. If he is motivated to avoid paying out and can do whatever he wants, you're playing rock/paper/scissors with him

The problem also doesn't seem to apply to Deal or No Deal. I'm not too confident on that assertion though

Entire thing reeks of "let's present some silly scenario with unstated imperatives and sound clever by misleading people"
I always felt that this was the root of the increase in odds for switching in the scenario. The setup for the poll can only exist if one potential outcome is implicitly removed from the results. You have a 100% chance of not losing the larger prize on your first choice because the host must show you $1 after your pick. The wording removes all relevance of the first pick since you can never miss the larger prize and the actual choice that matters happens after you know that. It works for four boxes still although it works for 4 in the same way it should work for three. There are never three boxes in the system this way.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
So what you arereallysaying is you are able to pick the car on your first choice in 4 of the 8 cases, instead of an expected 1 in 3?
What I'mreally reallysaying is that I have an exceptionally well developed sense of smell. So well developed, in fact, that I can smell my own shit when someone points out that I've stepped in it. Looks like I completely misdiagnosed why the odds of the two different goats were halved.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
In a true monty hall problem you would increase your odds by switching. What the OP presented is not technically a monty hall though. No where does he state that the host will only open a $1 box. He states that the host knows what's inside the box and that he opens a box, two unrelated statements. Your odds of winning improve only if the host "knows what's inside the boxes" AND "opens another boxthat contains $1" As stated it's just dumb luck the host didn't reveal $100,000 by opening box 3.
How is it not a 'true' monty hall problem and how is it 'dumb luck' that he didn't reveal the $100,000 box if he knew what was inside the boxes?

Your odds of winning improve only if the host "knows what's inside the boxes" AND "opens another boxthat contains $1
Which he does both in the original question and thus increases the odds of winning if you switch