A Quiet Place (2018)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The premise is really interesting, how do you live being silent? How much time could you endure that? but....the execution was poorly done. Some parts were really tense (I was squirming in my seat from time to time) BUT FUCK ME and the FUCKING JUMP SCARES!!! Fuck you with that cheap attempt to make me scared. After the 1st, I already was having an headache. Then there was more and more and more. /rant.
And it should have ended with the girl looking at the microphone. Emily Blunt cocking the shotgun looked like some C movie from the 1990's.

All in all....could have been so much better but it wasn't disappointing either.
6/10

Last edited:

Jive Turkey

Karen
Saw this last week. Was pretty bored, to be honest. the ending was pretty silly and completely off tone to the rest of the movie. Didn't really like the creature design. It was just okay. points for some originality. 6/10

Jive Turkey

Karen
PS- if the creatures in the movie are supposed to be extraterrestrial, I have to say that hearing the least useful sense for extraterrestrial travel! Let's go to earth-- it's loud! Oh wait, you can't propagate sound through a vacuum...
Any alien invasion movie that does not have us being enslaved via chemicals or melted from orbit requires heavy suspension of disbelief. So do most monster movies. /shrug

I missed it, but my girlfriend said there was a newspaper clipping about a meteorite. I think the creatures aren't meant to be intelligent and landed on earth haphazardly

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Saw this last week. Was pretty bored, to be honest. the ending was pretty silly and completely off tone to the rest of the movie. Didn't really like the creature design. It was just okay. points for some originality. 6/10
The creature was like a mix between a clicker from LoU and a linker from RE.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Finally watched this last night and I really enjoyed it. I'm definitely with the people saying that you should have seen this in a Dolby cinema. I've got a robust home theater sound system and we CRANKED this. Obviously huge dynamic range because the majority of the movie is silent but when the shit happens it got loud.

Bunch of guys from work came over to see it. One of the motherfuckers had his cell phone go off in the middle of this...

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
This movie was horrible for up to and probably more than a thousand reasons. If you want to be almost completely bored while watching 90 minutes of people trying to be quiet, this movie is for you. Thinking about how implausible or just plain dumb every scene in this movie is will be what staves off total and complete boredom. I'm honestly baffled by the reviews this is getting.
Just saw this pile of shit and feel the same way. I want the 2.5 hours back that it took me to drive back and forth to the theater and watch this inbetween. I agree that its a well made movie but everything about it is so implausible I just couldn't buy in. When there really are a thousand+ reasons why the premise makes no sense and you go through them in your head from the start, who cares how good the sound is or the monsters look? The gf felt the same way, I considered walking out.

im with these 2. movie sucked. way too many logic holes

agripa

Molten Core Raider
Enjoyed the movie, I heard it was almost part of the cloverfield universe, same costume designer or some such.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Great idea actually, these could have been the little guys that fell off the bottom of the big bruiser thing from the first movie.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I enjoyed the movie. But I did wonder why they didn't go the other direction and try to make something so noisy (like the waterfall they specifically made a point of showing) that it drowned out all other noises. Because let's be honest, thinking they are going to keep a baby quiet enough, even with the sealed box dealio, is nothing but a pipe dream. There was literally no way they survived the first week with a newborn baby, if silence is your strategy.