A Quiet Place (2018)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
3.80 star(s) Rating: 3.80/5 5 Votes
Title: A Quiet Place

Tagline: Silence is survival

Genre: Horror, Thriller

Director: John Krasinski

Cast: John Krasinski, Emily Blunt, Noah Jupe, Millicent Simmonds, Cade Woodward

Release: 2018-04-05

Plot: A family living on a farm is terrorized by an evil presence.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
Movie was decent, it didn't overstay its welcome (short run time) but ended rather abruptly. all the characters i thought were interesting and the sound was done amazing. i feel like you need a theater or a high end sound system cranked up to enjoy the movie fully. Monster design was interesting.

main complaint in spoilers
monsters strength was so off, in one scene its tearing through the side of a grain silo while in the other it cant rip the top off a pickup truck.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
I thought this was excellent to be honest. Slow in the beginning but once it got going, it didn’t stop. Monster looked great.

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
Yea my review was probably a bit more negative sounding than I intended. I would definitely recommend this movie if you like the genre.

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
I liked it. Scariest part of the movie:

that fucking nail

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rime

<Donor>
Saw this with some friends. As others state, a bit of a slow start, some very good visuals/tension scenes. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Would give it a solid B+.

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
I just saw it. It's okay. Over-hyped because of it's concept. Think "Don't Breathe" meets "Signs." Honestly, it's entertaining, but it is also really dumb in retrospect. For too many reasons to state here (and to not spoil it for anyone).

Best part of the movie is not the movie-- it's the fact that everyone in the theater is hyper-sensitive to anyone who makes any noises for the first half of the movie! You'll hear the guy 2 rows away opening his milk duds box!

PS- if the creatures in the movie are supposed to be extraterrestrial, I have to say that hearing the least useful sense for extraterrestrial travel! Let's go to earth-- it's loud! Oh wait, you can't propagate sound through a vacuum...

Rime

<Donor>
Any alien invasion movie that does not have us being enslaved via chemicals or melted from orbit requires heavy suspension of disbelief. So do most monster movies. /shrug

spronk

FPS noob
Saw this today in Dolby Cinema, almost empty (~5 other people) massive theater during matinee times. Went specifically to avoid crowds since I knew I'd go nuts if some neckbeard was hoovering popcorn the entire movie. Really enjoyed it, best movie of the year so far for me personally although I'm sure Avengers and Deadpool 2 will take the crown. Easy 9/10 for me, although I would have preferred a different ending and it will definitely be a divisive ending.

A lot of people have said don't bother going to a premium format since there's no sound but thats not really true, while there isn't much dialogue (maybe 30 lines total?) there is some great sound ambiance and every sound MATTERS, I loved seeing it in Dolby since it really gave that creepy ass surround immersion. I'd definitely recommend seeing it this week before Rampage takes over the premium screens on thursday night.

The first 10 minutes I thought were absolutely fantastic, they totally set up the world with no dialogue, just everything you need to know with background objects and the interactions of the cast.

For any sci fi or post-apocalyptic fan I think this is a must see. Its not really that "scary", a few jump scare moments but overall I thought It! (last years clown movie) was scarier. Thats probably a good comparison movie actually, if you hated It! you might not like this movie, but if you liked It! you may like this movie. I thought the story was super tight, the acting great, and the monsters AWESOME. I'd love to see more about them. Walking out I thought a TV show based on this premise might be cool, but then realized a TV show where the cast rarely talks to each other would probably suck.

Minor quibbles but overall I enjoyed the 90 minutes and was glued to the screen the whole time. Had a Last of Us vibe which I really loved.

Man the daughter really was a stupid bitch for most of the movie but I kinda liked her by the end. GODDAMN though why the fuck would you have kids in the middle of this shit. That was just insane. It was a bit dumb that nobody in the world figured out the whole "some sound frequencies will disable them", especially since we know bats and whales and other animals that navigate by echo-location can get disoriented by manufactured sounds, but still it was a very, very cool concept that I loved.

I'd love a TV show that sort takes this central idea and runs with it, it'd have to change to allow some form of talking but fewer enemies who are insanely powerful is a great post apocalyptic scenario. Thinking on it, its kind of shocking it hasn't been done so far. Falling Skies, Walking Dead, The 100, V, etc have a "millions of enemies" idea, one that has maybe 1000 or fewer insanely powerful apex predator creatures who are blind would be very cool.

The first 10 minutes of the movie is beautiful, I love how it establishes that in 89 days humanity is nearly wiped out, how rapidly survivors change to live in this new reality, and how a single mistake will fuck you up and its all done with no talking. Also love the lighting of fires at night, to show that there are still some survivors out there. Still, a super bleak future for humanity, even after "the discovery" at the end.

Its crazy to think Jim Halpert from the office is the star and director, that dude has sold his soul to the devil or something and transformed even more than Chris Pratt into a big film star, hope he can pull out some good roles in the next few years and not disappear like Taylor Kitsch or Armie Hammer.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
This is a nightmare movie for theater operators as you really do feel like a total bitch if you make any noise at all during the film. Now generally you will have already purchased all your snacks before hand, so no foul immediately, but anyone coming to the movie via word of mouth will be cautioned and I know I'll question whether I really need popcorn during my next flick.

• 1Like

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Saw this today in Dolby Cinema, almost empty (~5 other people) massive theater during matinee times. Went specifically to avoid crowds since I knew I'd go nuts if some neckbeard was hoovering popcorn the entire movie. Really enjoyed it, best movie of the year so far for me personally although I'm sure Avengers and Deadpool 2 will take the crown. Easy 9/10 for me, although I would have preferred a different ending and it will definitely be a divisive ending.

A lot of people have said don't bother going to a premium format since there's no sound but thats not really true, while there isn't much dialogue (maybe 30 lines total?) there is some great sound ambiance and every sound MATTERS, I loved seeing it in Dolby since it really gave that creepy ass surround immersion. I'd definitely recommend seeing it this week before Rampage takes over the premium screens on thursday night.

The first 10 minutes I thought were absolutely fantastic, they totally set up the world with no dialogue, just everything you need to know with background objects and the interactions of the cast.

For any sci fi or post-apocalyptic fan I think this is a must see. Its not really that "scary", a few jump scare moments but overall I thought It! (last years clown movie) was scarier. Thats probably a good comparison movie actually, if you hated It! you might not like this movie, but if you liked It! you may like this movie. I thought the story was super tight, the acting great, and the monsters AWESOME. I'd love to see more about them. Walking out I thought a TV show based on this premise might be cool, but then realized a TV show where the cast rarely talks to each other would probably suck.

Minor quibbles but overall I enjoyed the 90 minutes and was glued to the screen the whole time. Had a Last of Us vibe which I really loved.

Man the daughter really was a stupid bitch for most of the movie but I kinda liked her by the end. GODDAMN though why the fuck would you have kids in the middle of this shit. That was just insane. It was a bit dumb that nobody in the world figured out the whole "some sound frequencies will disable them", especially since we know bats and whales and other animals that navigate by echo-location can get disoriented by manufactured sounds, but still it was a very, very cool concept that I loved.

I'd love a TV show that sort takes this central idea and runs with it, it'd have to change to allow some form of talking but fewer enemies who are insanely powerful is a great post apocalyptic scenario. Thinking on it, its kind of shocking it hasn't been done so far. Falling Skies, Walking Dead, The 100, V, etc have a "millions of enemies" idea, one that has maybe 1000 or fewer insanely powerful apex predator creatures who are blind would be very cool.

The first 10 minutes of the movie is beautiful, I love how it establishes that in 89 days humanity is nearly wiped out, how rapidly survivors change to live in this new reality, and how a single mistake will fuck you up and its all done with no talking. Also love the lighting of fires at night, to show that there are still some survivors out there. Still, a super bleak future for humanity, even after "the discovery" at the end.

Its crazy to think Jim Halpert from the office is the star and director, that dude has sold his soul to the devil or something and transformed even more than Chris Pratt into a big film star, hope he can pull out some good roles in the next few years and not disappear like Taylor Kitsch or Armie Hammer.

Thanks for the review. Gonna go see it early this morning. Bought up my whole row so i didnt have to sit next to anyone else, since its a 7.50 early tuesday discount.

Pilforgod

Silver Knight of the Realm
Good thing we're going to see this at one of those dinner movie places. Everyone will be eating.

Pilforgod

Silver Knight of the Realm
You're gonna hear Every. Single. Chew.
It wasn't too bad, you get there 30 minutes early so most people were done when it started. Of course about half way through my wife had to go to the bathroom, comes back and trips into our drink glasses and makes a huge sound lol.

Movie was great and left me with a very melancholy feeling.

Last edited:

spronk

FPS noob
you can really tell from this behind the scenes that everyone involved really put a lot of heart into this movie and thought about every single second. don't watch this video obviously if you haven't seen the movie

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Eonan

Doer of Things
Thoroughly enjoyed this, and I am not a fan of horror movies. Decided to cave and go see it after seeing all the amazing reviews and have to say they didn't oversell.

• 1Like

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Agree on all points, I waited a few weeks to see it with a low population crowd.

Very well done.

• 1Like
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database