A Song of Ice and Fire (Released Spoilers)

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Type point A and point B in Google Maps and there will be half a dozen routes you can take. Some are shorter and some are longer. You might take the straight shot or the scenic route. You still end up at point B. You can cry because a bridge collapsed on the route you WANTED to take and go home butthurt, or you can take the detour and be there in time for dinner. Personally I'm just happy there IS a detour.
I hope you get a job at FEDEX.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I'd rather he finish the series than getting to say "I told you so you stupid fat fuck" at his funeral, but if it does go down that way we don't have to rely on some reddit fanfic for a conclusion. The show is canon and will end the series the same way he will/would of ended the books.
There was a thread in the Movies forum (can't remember if it was here or FoH... it's been a while) in which a poster made an awesome alternative story for a movie. They kept key plot elements intact, but the hows and whys were heavily edited. Anyway, everyone agreed that it was so perfect that they would choose to remember it that way instead of how it was actually presented in the film. I wish I could remember the movie (I think it was one of the Aliens, maybe Prometheus - Tuco probably remembers).

This guy was so into the story - and so offended by the egregiously weak writing - that he took it upon himself to make it perfect. That's what I'm hoping for (if Martin doesn't finish the novels).

At this point, I'm considering the show to be inspired by the novels. Sure, the ending will supposedly be the same for both the books and the made-for-TV version, but the magic (for me anyway) is in the details and the world building. Unfortunately, neither of those qualities can be as fully explored in the television medium.

khorum

Murder Apologist
There was a thread in the Movies forum (can't remember if it was here or FoH... it's been a while) in which a poster made an awesome alternative story for a movie. They kept key plot elements intact, but the hows and whys were heavily edited. Anyway, everyone agreed that it was so perfect that they would choose to remember it that way instead of how it was actually presented in the film. I wish I could remember the movie (I think it was one of the Aliens, maybe Prometheus - Tuco probably remembers).
I kinda remember that. He kept tweaking script details that pretty much amazed EVERYONE in the thread. Legendary thread.
abyss-poster.jpg

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
I believe so. So how many straight up trannys have we had over the years? Goliath, Jerle, Dumar and..?

You're probably thinking of Lithose talking about the third Matrix moviehere(post 50 in that thread)

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
He only edits those books, not sure he contributes a story to many of them. He certainly doesn't write the whole book by a long shot.

Fuck, he doesn't even edit them heco-edits them.

Speaking of Wild Cards, are they worth reading? I haven't started the series at all, but I'm a fan of superhero novels in general so they seem like they might be up my alley.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I've read a handful of the earlier ones; they were very good. It isn't Martin writing them for the most part (I think he actually has written a few Wild Cards short stories but for the most part he edits them), but I remember them being heavy with his distinctive style. Expect all kinds of dark shit, standard superhero tropes turned all over the place, etc.

If Martin puts his stank on something, it is generally pretty damn good. I would probably love Wild Cards if it wasn't a major roadblock to him finishing ASoIaF; this shit takes up a huge amount of the big man's time, editing massive manuscripts, crapping out the television series, etc. Once I have Book 7 (8?) in my hands and have seen it through, then I plan on going through and reading all of the Wild Cards stuff; I know if I read them now my heart will be dripping with hate and bitterness the whole time and I won't give them the shake they deserve.

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
I can't find a particular Winds of Winter chapter anywhere on the internet. It was a released chapter, I've read it, I'm not imagining it, but now I can't find it anywhere. It is the chapter dealing with Barristan Selmy during the siege, he is inside the city and organizes the sortie that leads to the battle presented in the Tyrion's Chapter. Please link me, I really want to re-read that chapter.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I can't find a particular Winds of Winter chapter anywhere on the internet. It was a released chapter, I've read it, I'm not imagining it, but now I can't find it anywhere. It is the chapter dealing with Barristan Selmy during the siege, he is inside the city and organizes the sortie that leads to the battle presented in the Tyrion's Chapter. Please link me, I really want to re-read that chapter.
[TWoW Spoilers] Barristan - The Winds of Winter - A Forum of Ice and Fire - A Song of Ice and Fire & Game of Thrones

Can't find the Tyrion one anymore...

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
Thanks, but I remember reading the chapter itself, not the transcript. And I am talking about the Barristan I chapter.

I put the Tyrion chapter on pastebin, hope I got the link right:Tyrion Sample Chapter Winds of Winter - Pastebin.com

Edit> Haha... Found it... On pastebin, after I've uploaded the Tyrion chaper... The google search got me nowhere but the pastebin search came through...Winds of Winter Excerpt: Barristan - Pastebin.com