A Song of Ice and Fire (Released Spoilers)

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
JK released each year for the first four, then the last three took 3/2/2 years. GRRM did every two years and then moved on to double or triple that time for the remaining books. The pattern fits, we're just spoiled by a yearly TV series.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
the whiny ass bitches are why he's able to dick around and get fatter while not doing his job. 43 words an hour... lol. Shit, Gurrm, get it together.

Sulrn

Deuces
rrr_img_121850.png

I like the guy regardless of how long the books take to release. I'm with Neil on this - I'd much rather have a content author and a good book(s) as a result than see someone end up like Tolkien unhappily bending to publisher whims and having that creativity squandered when there was obviously potential for much more.

I just finished the Knight of the Seven Kingdoms and greatly enjoyed it. Think it was pretty cool to see the Tagaryens in a different light and why any loyalists might still be around in ASOIF.

a-knight-of-the-seven-kingdoms-jpg.jpg

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Cheese whiz and ritz is how he goes lumped over a Hugo awards pamphlet with the Jets losing in the background.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Even so, from the interviews and appearances I've seen of him he's a likeable guy.
He is. It's just that A Song of Ice and Fire was not, and never has been his "magnum opus", the way everyone wants it to be. His longest storyline (Wildcards) stayed on course because he didn't write it himself apart for a few stories here and there. His only problem is the show. Without the show, there wouldn't be the same pressure and he would get away with it.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I also agree with Gaiman. We are an entitled, bitchy society. I blame the SJWs.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I think I'm going to wait for winds before watching this coming season. I can't do show first, book second.
frown.png

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
Man, you're going to be waiting a while. "I'm not setting any more deadlines for myself," reads to me more like "I'm never going to finish this book."

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Without the show, there wouldn't be the same pressure and he would get away with it.
So you're pretty new to the series then...

The original Neil Gaiman "George RR Martin is not your bitch" post is from 2009. 2 years before the first episode of GoT ever aired. This shit isn't new and isn't based on the show.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
He is. It's just that A Song of Ice and Fire was not, and never has been his "magnum opus", the way everyone wants it to be. His longest storyline (Wildcards) stayed on course because he didn't write it himself apart for a few stories here and there. His only problem is the show. Without the show, there wouldn't be the same pressure and he would get away with it.
So much this. I think GoT's success caught him by surprise and he never expected it to turn into what it did, and now he's stuck writing it when he wants to be writing other shit or doing TV or swimming in mountains of cash while eating cheeseburgers.

Plus you have the Jordan situation, I would venture that a fair few of GoT readers who are of a certain age also read the Wheel of Time and got fucked when Jordan got wiped out before he was finished by some rare disease. I would be one of those and I see GoT heading down the same road.

Instead of Brandon Sanderson writing the end, though, we are getting HBO writing the end. It ties into my greater conspiracy theory that after a season or two when GRRM realized the show was great, he effectively outsourced the story to them to let them finish it while having no real intention of finishing it himself. He gave the show writers a general ending for each character, who ends up on the Iron Throne, and said good luck, I am off to go wipe my ass with money.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So much this. I think GoT's success caught him by surprise and he never expected it to turn into what it did, and now he's stuck writing it when he wants to be writing other shit or doing TV or swimming in mountains of cash while eating cheeseburgers.

Plus you have the Jordan situation, I would venture that a fair few of GoT readers who are of a certain age also read the Wheel of Time and got fucked when Jordan got wiped out before he was finished by some rare disease. I would be one of those and I see GoT heading down the same road.

Instead of Brandon Sanderson writing the end, though, we are getting HBO writing the end. It ties into my greater conspiracy theory that after a season or two when GRRM realized the show was great, he effectively outsourced the story to them to let them finish it while having no real intention of finishing it himself. He gave the show writers a general ending for each character, who ends up on the Iron Throne, and said good luck, I am off to go wipe my ass with money.
Lol that is no conspiracy theory. That is truth.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
They could just have Salvatore write it if he croaks. Drizzt Lannister kills Chewbacca.
Goddamnit I actually paid for most of those books and thought they were good in middle school.

Anyway, yeah, that's no conspiracy theory. It's pretty fucking obvious. The show will end the series. He'll die before book 7 (or 8 or 9 or whatever the final book ends up being) gets published.

lol at him "getting away with this" if it wasn't for the show. Like Grimmlokk said, readers have been dealing with this shit since a couple years after book 3 was released, and they weren't happy then. It took 5 years to get AFFC and another 6 for ADWD. Gurrm originally thought he'd have book 5 out within a year of book 4. lol

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
"ADWD is already half written already"

giphy.gif

I think that's what made him learn to stop making any kind of public predictions.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
The show is "first" for me now. I've just accepted that it will end long before the books do, assuming they continue to do a new season every year until done.