A thread for boomers to talk about water

Oldbased

> Than U
19 billion threads 55 trillion posts and FoH doesn't have a single thread on...
Water.
Water Filtering, Water Brands, Water Purification. Nothing.
Having switched to soda stream after A-Bed Bath and Beyond closing made Soda Stream Syrup actually DROP in price and B-Soda costing 200-300% more than just 2 years ago, I was curious to save more money instead of buying purified water in plastic bottles as no way I am drinking tap crap. Now it is well known in previous postings that I NEVER drink plain water. I've changed that a bit lately but I am still adding MIO /w caffeine and or CO2 with Soda Stream syrup for diet coke/diet dr pepper and even official pepsi since that now is only $18 for 36liters of syrup but the bottled water cost was a killin me. So I started looking into affordable sink attachments, under the sink kits, pitchers and dispensers and found that not only does bottled water vary GREATLY more than just distilled, purified, sprins options but that also ways to filter/purify water varies massively based on the system and filter. Now I have learned I don't quite like reverse osmosis since it Hillary bleaches everything in water so it has nil value to life and I am not interested in wasting gallons of tap water to make 1 gallon RO water that I then have to add salt and or minerals back too so I started looking at normal filtering. WOWOWOW Even that is jacked all to hell. Every company makes a 2 claims, that they are better than anyone else, and their filter has the best life. Yet it is VERY hard to find just what they claim to filter and moreso some filters only last as little as 20 gallons but cost $40 to replace and some like Brita last 6 months and cost $18 to replace.

Naturally I am scratching my head at this point trying to figure out how I can save money over buying $40 of water a month. So I come here for the wisest and most informative site on the web today and find... nothing. No discussion. No mentions. Just a bunch of posts from gay people mad at some dirt in the middle east. How is that even possible???!!?

So I set out to Google. Google bro, tell me the best water filters in 2023!
Google lists 50 sites top 10 reviews of those I've heard of only like 2 companies ever. This isn't ending well.
Well Google I see Brita is mentioned in almost all top 10 of 2023 but I only own a Pur and it didn't make the list even once. Why's that?
Google- Sorry we have never heard of Pur, it is related to a Nazi?
No Google it's a water brand you see all over! Why isn't it even ranked on all these sites?

So why brous have we never had this discussion?

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Water.
Having switched to soda stream after A-Bed Bath and Beyond closing made Soda Stream Syrup actually DROP in price and B-Soda costing 200-300% more than just 2 years ago, I was curious to save more money instead of buying purified water in plastic bottles as no way I am drinking tap crap. Now it is well known in previous postings that I NEVER drink plain water. I've changed that a bit lately but I am still adding MIO /w caffeine and or CO2 with Soda Stream syrup for diet coke/diet dr pepper and even official pepsi since that now is only $18 for 36liters of syrup but the bottled water cost was a killin me. So I started looking into affordable sink attachments, under the sink kits, pitchers and dispensers and found that not only does bottled water vary GREATLY more than just distilled, purified, sprins options but that also ways to filter/purify water varies massively based on the system and filter. Now I have learned I don't quite like reverse osmosis since it Hillary bleaches everything in water so it has nil value to life and I am not interested in wasting gallons of tap water to make 1 gallon RO water that I then have to add salt and or minerals back too so I started looking at normal filtering. WOWOWOW Even that is jacked all to hell. Every company makes a 2 claims, that they are better than anyone else, and their filter has the best life. Yet it is VERY hard to find just what they claim to filter and moreso some filters only last as little as 20 gallons but cost $40 to replace and some like Brita last 6 months and cost $18 to replace.

Naturally I am scratching my head at this point trying to figure out how I can save money over buying $40 of water a month. So I come here for the wisest and most informative site on the web today and find... nothing. No discussion. No mentions. Just a bunch of posts from gay people mad at some dirt in the middle east. How is that even possible???!!?

Google lists 50 sites top 10 reviews of those I've heard of only like 2 companies ever. This isn't ending well.
Well Google I see Brita is mentioned in almost all top 10 of 2023 but I only own a Pur and it didn't make the list even once. Why's that?
No Google it's a water brand you see all over! Why isn't it even ranked on all these sites?

Oldbased

> Than U
Ya I already found ZeroWater with the 5 stage removes everything but you need some of the shit in water. Many only remove chemicals, vocs and other shit but not the TDS which is basically Zerowater and RO systems. Also Zerowater filters only last 20 gallons and are expensive as fuck. Easy to see why but again I just want the equiv of store purified water and a long lasting filter.

So basically Brita is actually the best choice and Zerowater if you want umm zerowater but you need to add minerals back into it and filter lasts only 10% as long and cost twice as much.
Hmmm

Edit- Thanks to that video I now know that Amazon Basics and Aquaphor can both be used in most Brita pitchers Aquaphor has 3 filters for $10 and Amazon Basics sells 3 filters for $16 that preform a bit closer to Brita in the chemical removal. $16 for 120 gallons seems reasonable compared to $150 for 120 gallons store price.

Going with and A5 Aquaphor filters which are 2 for $20. Bit more expensive than the basic filters but covers many heavy metals it reduces not removes so no mineral addition needed. 180 gallons for $20 is not bad at all.
Pitcher is 17 cups too which is nice. Plenty to make up 3 liters of soda at a time.

Last edited:

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
Could you bubble up some water with another type of gas? What about helium for some voice changing bubbles? Or that other gas that made you go deeper and demonic? That would be a fun party trick? How about Oxygen and make healing water?

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Water.

I have a Berkey countertop filter I use for drinking water.

I don't think it is exactly the budget option but it should be somewhere in between a Brita and an RO system in terms of filtration and consumables cost.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
Ya I already found ZeroWater with the 5 stage removes everything but you need some of the shit in water. Many only remove chemicals, vocs and other shit but not the TDS which is basically Zerowater and RO systems. Also Zerowater filters only last 20 gallons and are expensive as fuck. Easy to see why but again I just want the equiv of store purified water and a long lasting filter.

So basically Brita is actually the best choice and Zerowater if you want umm zerowater but you need to add minerals back into it and filter lasts only 10% as long and cost twice as much.
Hmmm

Edit- Thanks to that video I now know that Amazon Basics and Aquaphor can both be used in most Brita pitchers Aquaphor has 3 filters for $10 and Amazon Basics sells 3 filters for $16 that preform a bit closer to Brita in the chemical removal. $16 for 120 gallons seems reasonable compared to $150 for 120 gallons store price.

Going with and A5 Aquaphor filters which are 2 for $20. Bit more expensive than the basic filters but covers many heavy metals it reduces not removes so no mineral addition needed. 180 gallons for $20 is not bad at all.
Pitcher is 17 cups too which is nice. Plenty to make up 3 liters of soda at a time.
Why would you add minerals to purified water? Have you seen the content of your stomach? Any water you dump in there gets mineralized pretty fast.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Water.

ro is cheap, the cheapest 5stage on amazon is 120, this one i got for the house
cb1730085acada7c38f8f7fb397b27d2.png

b/c i wanted a smaller unit to put on top of my fridge (i have no understink space)

do i have a post filter to add minerals in? i had it in my old home but didn't want it here, you literally get minerals from cooking.

if youre worried about water usage, get a permeate pump, it'll re-direct the excess to be filtered more, and makes waste barely registering on the water meter (or you can redirect the waste in your potted plants)
cfb6835ed622b8f41572b43cce978942.png

• 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 user

Oldbased

> Than U
Why would you add minerals to purified water? Have you seen the content of your stomach? Any water you dump in there gets mineralized pretty fast.
With Zero Water/Reverse Osmosis it removes all minerals from water. Same reason drinking nothing but distilled water is potentially bad for you.
We generate and run on electricity. Our bodies require minerals to live. If you cut that out to water having no value, you are negating your body needs. At the least you should add a small pinch of salt back in these cases. At the same time very hard water or water excessively high in minerals dehydrates you as your body spends great energy transforming those minerals to good use.
Ideally for drinking/drinks you want just a well purified water that leaves some of the desired TDS in place but removes chemicals, particulates and so forth.
Distilled/RO/Zerowater is great for people who add their own flavor/stuff to water and to cook with.

Oldbased

> Than U
Could you bubble up some water with another type of gas? What about helium for some voice changing bubbles? Or that other gas that made you go deeper and demonic? That would be a fun party trick? How about Oxygen and make healing water?
Don't see why you couldn't. I only have co2 tanks but technically I guess you could try and infuse the water with anything. Not sure what the survival rate looks like but it has all been done before. Look ma! I made a hydrogen generator! BOOM

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
With Zero Water/Reverse Osmosis it removes all minerals from water. Same reason drinking nothing but distilled water is potentially bad for you.
We generate and run on electricity. Our bodies require minerals to live. If you cut that out to water having no value, you are negating your body needs. At the least you should add a small pinch of salt back in these cases. At the same time very hard water or water excessively high in minerals dehydrates you as your body spends great energy transforming those minerals to good use.
Ideally for drinking/drinks you want just a well purified water that leaves some of the desired TDS in place but removes chemicals, particulates and so forth.
Distilled/RO/Zerowater is great for people who add their own flavor/stuff to water and to cook with.
Who knew Oldbased in Bobby Boucher RL?

Oldbased

> Than U
Who knew Oldbased in Bobby Boucher RL?
I've done like 30 hours research on this shit the past week cause none of you fucks ever started a thread on it. I literally have my PhD and ready to serve the football teams now.

• 1Worf

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I've done like 30 hours research on this shit the past week cause none of you fucks ever started a thread on it. I literally have my PhD and ready to serve the football teams now.
Wouldn't be the first time you served a whole team.

• 2Worf
  • 1Rimshot

Oldbased

> Than U
Wouldn't be the first time you served a whole team.
I think you have me confused with the guy that runs the night black train.
It is rare I even allow myself near another person due to the risk I'll just straight up butcher them.

• 1Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 1 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I think you have me confused with the guy that runs the night black train.
It is rare I even allow myself near another person due to the risk I'll just straight up butcher them.
I assure you, he runs that train 24/7/365.

• 1Solidarity

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Complains nobody makes a thread about a topic.

Derails a different thread about said topic.

Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

• 8Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 11 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I have a Berkey countertop filter I use for drinking water.

I don't think it is exactly the budget option but it should be somewhere in between a Brita and an RO system in terms of filtration and consumables cost.
My wife got us a Berkeley after hearing about it somewhere and it's fantastic. Had it for maybe a couple of years now. Only have 2 of the 4 filters, but it's fast enough. There really is a difference in the taste of the water. Little more than I would have paid but I think it's really been worth it. Oldbased Oldbased I'd definitely give it a shot.

• 3Like