A Wrinkle in Time (2018)

Cybsled

Pretty much. John Carter was a 100 year old IP that was essentially obscure in this era, so it had almost no recognition. Dune and Cloud Atlas and The Fountain were overly long and overly "complex" in their thematic structure, so it didn't click with audiences and there wasn't exactly a super rabid fanbase. Ender's Game, while regarded well within sci-fi circles, again had little mass market presence and the marketing was a mess, so it didn't really let audiences know what kind of movie it was.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Saw this movie tonight. I would not recommend it. It suffered from, “lets cram way too many famous people into the screen’ syndrome. A bit too overt with the SJw theme.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
i am in no way defending this movie or any other... but it's a LITTLE more complicated than simply choosing to stick to the subject material. most successful movies based off books are based off of short stories because it's much easier to ADD to the story in a meaningful way than to trim. and unless you trim a book, even a 200 page book is going to end up 6 hours long.

so the problem then is that when you trim down a book to fit in 2 hours, you have to cut out a bunch of stuff that the original author thought was important enough to write about. you take that stuff out, because you have to, but lose a lot of the soul of what made the book special. then there might be aspects of the main plot that don't make sense anymore, so you have to re-write it in a way that explains why these characters would behave differently without having had the 40 page sidequest where they learned the true meaning of friendship or whatever nonsense the book is about.

christopher nolan makes a lot of his movies based off of short stories, so when he adds something, he gets to add his personal flair to it, instead of ripping huge chunks out of someone else's soul

Sorry, that is just an excuse. Jackson did a fantastic job with LotR-1178 pages, or almost 400 per book. Potter series was solid and every book was over 200. The Hunger Games was over 300. The Notebook, 227. I can go on forever because this is just an excuse for people that want to use 'creative freedom' to fuck up someone else's hard fucking work. These people are so stupid and lacking in talent, they can't even follow the basis of something laid out for them. As a society, we need to quit making excuses for worthless garbage trying to push their own agendas instead of doing their jobs...providing entertainment. Entertainment someone else did all the hard work to accomplish.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
I found out that reciting multiplication tables is the fastest way to convert someone to the dark side.