Age of Empires IV

Oldbased

> Than U
Damn my fiber slacking only 112MB/s
I bought AOE 1 2 and 3 like 3 fing times, first on floppies I lost then twice on disk but never steam. Always irked me they wanted so much for it yet again so last time I played was 11 years ago.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Just played a game. The pace is quicker than I remember it? But ya, its.. well.. AoE's. Little things different here and there, and almost a Total War feel with the nuance of each faction, but thats about it. Maybe some stuff is held back from the stress test? I personally wouldnt buy it until its much cheaper, but maybe my mood will change about it later after retail.

It's free with gamepass so I would go that route if anything

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
So do I really have to deal with "Technical stress test" bouncing around the screen like a screensaver the entire time, or can I turn this off? Because i'm not going to play this shit if that keeps up and I'll pirate the fucking thing out of spite.

1631938836914.png

• 1Salty
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I played AOE4 and was not impressed. Going 3d didn't seem to help the game in the not huge amount of time I played 10ish hours. I was really hoping for something different than an AOK remake. I mean, it was the best/most competitive AOE game but it really does seem to bring nothing new. It's a limited amount of time, the learning curve seemed to me to be pretty steep over 2D AOK, and a fair amount of balance may have happened. I was already predisposed against the game since I was hoping for something new, so take what I am saying with some serious salt and form your own opinion, particularly if you were partial to the game, or maybe this 3d version is going to do it for you.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So do I really have to deal with "Technical stress test" bouncing around the screen like a screensaver the entire time, or can I turn this off? Because i'm not going to play this shit if that keeps up and I'll pirate the fucking thing out of spite.

View attachment 373178
I searched around to turn it off and couldnt find it. One of the reasons I also stopped wanting to play it.

Yeah, I played AOE4 and was not impressed. Going 3d didn't seem to help the game in the not huge amount of time I played 10ish hours. I was really hoping for something different than an AOK remake. I mean, it was the best/most competitive AOE game but it really does seem to bring nothing new. It's a limited amount of time, the learning curve seemed to me to be pretty steep over 2D AOK, and a fair amount of balance may have happened. I was already predisposed against the game since I was hoping for something new, so take what I am saying with some serious salt and form your own opinion, particularly if you were partial to the game, or maybe this 3d version is going to do it for you.
Which is essentially the review - Game isnt bad, but brings little more to the table over its predecessor other than 3D pathing.

• 2Like

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
I can't even get into a game? am I doing it wrong?

EDIT: I'm just an idiot.

Feels like AOE2 with better graphics. I only played one game though. Nothing really felt new or different but I had some more special building/scenario theme type stuff for my faction I guess. I played the china

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I did try 1 game last night after all. Feels just like AoE 1 and 2. Probably a wise decision not to change it much. There's a large group of kids that never played aoe. It's a reboot. At least you know what you're getting into

• 1Like

faille

Molten Core Raider
Glad this is on the gamepass, doubt I'd pay for it full price but happy to pay for no extra money

• 1Like

Daidraco

Glad this is on the gamepass, doubt I'd pay for it full price but happy to pay for no extra money
I watched a battle between two high end star craft players playing this and it was actually really entertaining. They did a boat map and was using the racials almost perfectly. I just cant get into it myself. I think I'm just over RTS games, or .. maybe this just reminds me too much of old ones idk.

• 1Like

faille

Molten Core Raider
I watched a battle between two high end star craft players playing this and it was actually really entertaining. They did a boat map and was using the racials almost perfectly. I just cant get into it myself. I think I'm just over RTS games, or .. maybe this just reminds me too much of old ones idk.
Was that the match where one player was losing but tried to get the wonder built?

• 1Like

Daidraco

Was that the match where one player was losing but tried to get the wonder built?
Yep. I already knew the match was over at that point. 10 Minutes is a long f'n time, but at least he tried. Was a great match, even if it was in testing.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Bumping this back up since it's out and download discussion was going on in the Game Pass thread.

Played the first couple campaign missions, the videos they've done for the campaign are really nice, like watching a NatGeo special or something.

• 1Like

faille

Molten Core Raider
The Art of War section of the singler player is also worth a look. it's more than just a tutorial since it's about setting up your base within certain amount of time. good way to build up those skills and get an idea of where you need to be at any given stage.

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I might have spent like 90 minutes on the 2nd Norman mission. Just got in a stalemate for a while and I'm a bad.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Played about 4-5 missions so far. From what I can tell, they did a really good job and did justice to the series. They took their time, added a good amount of polish and cut scenes. I'm impressed. Thanks Game Pass for another great free one.

• 3Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 3 users

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Is it just on PC gamepass? I don't think I'd want to play a RTS with a controller?

• 1Like
  • 1Picard

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yes, it is on PC Game Pass. If you have GP Ultimate, you can play it anywhere.

• 1Like

faille

Molten Core Raider
haven't played much multi or skirmish yet but I like the Delhi for rush victory. They had a tech that lets their priests cap sacred sites early, so can really surprise people with it