Age of Empires IV

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Quack Attack
1635796859440.png

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This game is great. I've finished the English, French, and Mongols campaigns so far. Going to start the Russians soon. Good variation in the mission designs and the documentary-style narration and movies are really awesome.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I'm looking forward to mods and what not. I only ever play skirmish on these things and the ai needs different options.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Yeah most competitive play that I see with great success is mongol and that seems both annoying to try to counter and boring to play as.

Campaign is super fun though. Really dig the way it is done.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
i gotta try campagin then.

This is actually very well done. I have been getting shitted on in skirmishes by intermediate AI lol but im just trying to learn.

No more home cities is kind of....gay. No decks and no ability to create different strategies based on shipments eliminates a huge part of the game function.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I just feel like they could do a lot more with the game. I played a couple games last night and .. it just still feels so .. old. I love RTS, and even 4X games but I dont know how long Ill keep this on my computer.

• 1Solidarity

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I just feel like they could do a lot more with the game. I played a couple games last night and .. it just still feels so .. old. I love RTS, and even 4X games but I dont know how long Ill keep this on my computer.
Yea it gets stale pretty quick. I'm usually hesitant to say that stuff because I only ever play skirmish vs AI in these types of games, so I guess it's a big ask to expect that narrow type of play to not get boring?

Anyways, I'd love to see a game mode that doesn't have any combat at all and just focuses on economy and gathering. Not just the win conditions, but literally excluding combat units as a build option. It would also be cool to have an endless horde mode option.

pwe

Yea it gets stale pretty quick. I'm usually hesitant to say that stuff because I only ever play skirmish vs AI in these types of games, so I guess it's a big ask to expect that narrow type of play to not get boring?
Off topic, but did you ever play Command & Conquer: Generals AI skirmish? God, that was the best skirmish ever. I can still clearly hear the amazing Chinese faction music. And the voice lines (careful, she's fragile). So awesome.

• 1Solidarity

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Off topic, but did you ever play Command & Conquer: Generals AI skirmish? God, that was the best skirmish ever. I can still clearly hear the amazing Chinese faction music. And the voice lines (careful, she's fragile). So awesome.
Fuck yea, that was one of my favorite RTS games. I never played the Kayn (or whatever) series, but Generals is the best C&C I played.

Battle for Middle Earth II and Total Annihilation are my other favorites. TA is definitely my favorite by a long shot and that's mainly because I could build a fully self-sustaining base and just leave it running for days to see how long it could last. Resources (metal and energy) would never deplete, base defenses (like annihilator, big bertha and nuke defense) could wipe out any approaching army if you went YOLO on building them, and you could set all of your units up on patrol routes, including the construction planes that would repair units & defenses. I fucking love TA.

Which reminds me, it's absolute bullshit that Age of Empires doesn't have patrol routes as an option STILL. wtf?!

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, Generals was great. Played so much Red Alert prior to that. Beyond those, Supreme Commander (1 and then 2, despite all it's faults) was the last one that really clicked with me. Planetary Annihilation was too much of a 'mass units that don't feel like they mean anything' game and then suddenly my planet blew up, or I'd try and get things into orbit and when I finally did it was instantly killed by stuff that beat me there. Basically I was bad and never got over the hump.

I wish Ashes of the Singularity captured more of the same feel of those games. Or the Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak. Like Iron Harvest's failure to recapture the feel of Company of Heroes, they both miss the mark in different ways, though I've had some good co-op comp-stomp games with Ashes. TA and Total War have never really clicked for me. Was never much of an AOE fan either, but enjoyed 3 remastered, and am enjoying what I've played of 4 so far.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, Generals was great. Played so much Red Alert prior to that. Beyond those, Supreme Commander (1 and then 2, despite all it's faults) was the last one that really clicked with me. Planetary Annihilation was too much of a 'mass units that don't feel like they mean anything' game and then suddenly my planet blew up, or I'd try and get things into orbit and when I finally did it was instantly killed by stuff that beat me there. Basically I was bad and never got over the hump.

I wish Ashes of the Singularity captured more of the same feel of those games. Or the Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak. Like Iron Harvest's failure to recapture the feel of Company of Heroes, they both miss the mark in different ways, though I've had some good co-op comp-stomp games with Ashes. TA and Total War have never really clicked for me. Was never much of an AOE fan either, but enjoyed 3 remastered, and am enjoying what I've played of 4 so far.
I've never been able to get into the total war games. I even bought the warhammer one at full price and really tried to get into it, but it never clicked for me. I don't know how you couldn't love Total Annihilation. It's a little tough to go back and try it now because it's so dated, but the nostalgia is still there for me so I can still enjoy it.

Give me the ability to patrol, gerddermnitt! Shit, I'd be happy if I could just set some monks and villagers up to patrol and heal.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Yeah the no patrol thing and other "standard" quality of life items in this type of game that aren't present seem like some missed opportunities.

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I've never been able to get into the total war games. I even bought the warhammer one at full price and really tried to get into it, but it never clicked for me. I don't know how you couldn't love Total Annihilation. It's a little tough to go back and try it now because it's so dated, but the nostalgia is still there for me so I can still enjoy it.

Give me the ability to patrol, gerddermnitt! Shit, I'd be happy if I could just set some monks and villagers up to patrol and heal.
Probably an EQ casualty. I was too busy playing Red Alert for my RTS fix and then nothing but EQ for years, skipped the PS2 console gen, etc.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
First game I have bought in a long time. Only a couple hours in, but feels like an old friend already.

Doing the campaigns with no rush and they seem solid.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Been playing this semi-competitively lately. Really excited for the balancing changes, because HRE is pretty dogshit at the moment. Especially in comparison to powerhouses like The Mongols and France.

Jozu

I like the muzzies the early men at arms are so good.

I am learning how to play Mongols it takes time to start getting used to changing spots on the map but once you start putting pressure and controlling the map you start to see how they are powerful.