Age of Wonders 3

someone working on this game and posting on SA has this to share:

Pro-tip: Play Rogue with the Explorer specialization and get the Trail Running Upgrade (+8 move points for irregulars). Then spam armies of assassins, and laugh as they completely murder everything they come across.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Overall, considering I've only managed to play half of one large map, this game is definitely close to master of magic which also had some relatively OP high tier units that could be to be leaned on heavily. But in the case of the single player aspect of the game as a player you can approach it however you want. In regards to the item creation capping at 5 stat points - the items you find in game cap at 5 stat points or less - I don't think each item is designed to be mega powered. But sticking movement bonuses, vision, some resists on your heroes is a substantial boost to their base stats. Multiplayer has no draw for me but I can definitely see how the balance could be skewed based on all the available combinations of perks, units, and magic.

Sulrn

Deuces
Play a bit more Reth, the RNG can make items that you can't replicate (resist armor, for example) because of the point value being 6 or 8.

All heroes being innately melee calvalry still blows my mind, but I remove my previous complaint about range heroes. Waste an inventory slot works, I guess.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Still on my first game, medium map with 6 total players, medium difficulty. Right now one AI controls about half of the top map, and some of the underground - things aren't looking good! The amount of troops running around is insane. I got screwed early on by exploring in the one direction there were no independent cities and so my expansion was slowwwwww. I'm used to a Civ4 I suppose where I can take a tad more time expanding, but not so in this game, especially since there's no inherit negatives (upkeep) to not expanding (other than protecting the cities, of course). Overall I'm pleased the AI is no pushover, compared to what I saw in the various Let's Play videos.

I am a tad annoyed at how easily you can dispell realm/city enchants. Shit takes me 3 turns to cast, but you can dispell 2 of them in 1 turn...

Oh also, has anyone managed to find any sort of powergraph in game?

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Play a bit more Reth, the RNG can make items that you can't replicate (resist armor, for example) because of the point value being 6 or 8.

All heroes being innately melee calvalry still blows my mind, but I remove my previous complaint about range heroes. Waste an inventory slot works, I guess.
I set all my variables to random on the map maker for my game. The treasure setting must be set to meager - I've looted very little in the way of anything, and the shit I can make is at least as good as anything I've found - that's cool there is some op stuff you can only find (in my opinion). The mount system is awesome - which is why I overlook the heroes all being mounted. A good mount has so many bonuses you can't not use one, so at some point your hero will be mounted as the cost of not doing it is huge. One of the most fun things I've done so far is just summon 10 mount eggs and let them hatch every 10 turns to see all the possibilities.

Grimsark

Has anyone been able to get an NPC lord to declare war on another lord? So far, in the last three turns, I managed to get my 'Declare War on X' proposals to be accepted by two other lords (creating a 3 on 1 war), only to check the diplomacy standings on everyone after and NOTHING has changed.

OneofOne

Yep, I've got 3 AI to declare war against someone in my game. You're sure you're not just checking YOUR standings with people, and that you're actually looking at THEIR diplomacy screens?

Grimsark

Yep, I've got 3 AI to declare war against someone in my game. You're sure you're not just checking YOUR standings with people, and that you're actually looking at THEIR diplomacy screens?
Yeah, it is really strange. Both the lords I got to declare war with me had the target on (Peace) even a turn or two after agreement. (Clicking on their details shows how they relate to every other player)

Its either a bug, or the AI is instantly agreeing to peace a turn after declaring war.

Grimsark

Ok, I am beginning to understand why so many people are flipping a lid over how powerful theManticore Rideris.

Theprimaryissue is that its a flying creature and can not be 'walled in' so its very easy for them to leap over your front line and kill off your heroes.

Thesecond, is that they hit like a TRUCK. If I'm not mistaken they do more raw damage per hit than a giant does. WTF?!?

Thethird, is that they get Martial Arts by default (with a research upgrade) and learn First Strike at Elite.

Thefourth, is that unless they are Draconian or High Elven they have NO WEAKNESS (such as a fire giant being weak vs. frost), and might even have Protections! Such as Goblin and Dwarf Manticore Riders. Only the fact that they are cavalry (thus pikes hurt them a lot) is a potential point of disadvantage.

They might simply be the best, Non-Rare, T4 unit from the looks of things.

Note: Giants and Dragons can only be recruited from their special rare dwellings. Meanwhile ANY Warlord town can eventually produce Manticore's.

rrr_img_63949.jpg
rrr_img_63950.jpg
rrr_img_63951.jpg

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, but by the time the game is over I won't care anymore lol
If you're curious just save your game and surrender get the losing screen with charts and see where you sit. Its not much, they should have a graph of some kind.

Grimsark

One thing is for sure.Theocratseems to be the most worthless of all the classes so far for me.

Or maybe its just my specializations. (Creation 1 + 2 and Expansion)

Edit: 26 hours played over the last three days is enough. Time for me to stop playing this game for a while.

OneofOne

Yeah, that's true Dandain, I'll guess I'll do that in the meantime.

@ Grim Fuck man, don't get me started on Manticore Riders. I'm fighting someone right now and there are *always* 3-6 of these per fight, and they just rape shit up and down. The only real success I've had is massing Catapults against them, but Catapults don't heal on their own like the Riders do, and being a Druid I can't repair them out in the field (and not even all my cities can passively repair them).

Also, I'm kind of questioning the point of each class's ultimate spell when it takes sooooo damn long to cast it (because it's so expensive) yet it can be dispelled with the drop of a hat.

Sulrn

Deuces
Druid/Theo are pretty weak. Definitely think Warlord/Dreadnaught are where its at with units and Sorc/Rogue with abilities spells. The only issues with sorc/rogue is getting dicked over in research and not being able to go pew pew from turn one.

Feels Star Wars Galaxy all over again. All classes specialties are not created equally.

Also, heroes being innately melee calvalry limits your item functionality and devalues the importance of a mount item. Also, kind of gay each race cant train specific mounts. HE unicorns, goblin spiders/wargs, etc but a Sorc gets them all for free (which is cool for sorcs).

Izo

Tranny Chaser
One thing is for sure.Theocratseems to be the most worthless of all the classes so far for me.

Or maybe its just my specializations. (Creation 1 + 2 and Expansion)

Edit: 26 hours played over the last three days is enough. Time for me to stop playing this game for a while.
Juuuuust. Oooooone. Moooooore. Tuuuuuuuuuuuurn. Nnnnnnnnnngh.

You'll be back.

Our plans for the first AoWIII update/patch
2 APRIL - LGSAS
Hi everybody,

The dust is settling after launch; so it's time for an update! The team is very happy and humbled with the overall reception so far: reviews, sales, but most importantly we're happy with overall fan reaction. But of course we can always do better. We've spent 39 months developing Age of Wonders III, and we're planning on supporting the game for a long period of time. We'll release patches, free new features and dlc/expansion packs and we're looking forward to implementing lots of feedback from the community. For the first update/patch, which will go live in the coming days we are looking at the following items:

Likely fixes:

* WQHD / QHD (up to 2560 x 1440 / 2560 *1600) native resolution display support (the Black & White boxes and blurry text should disappear)
* Frame Drops, particularly when having an army selected removed.
* AI Difficulty lowered for "Squire" - people dying a lot in the first Elven Court mission is not good.
* AI Global Spell Disjunction Spamming is limited
* AI Leaving their walls less quickly in combat
* Disabling of controller / joystick input to avoid camera drift
* Saving profile - e.g. graphics settings - fixed for the 'Guest' account.

New Features:
* Previous/Next Button for Cities (added to the city header)
* Quick Save Option.

This Auto-Steam update should drop in the next couple of days. This is just a start! We have many other updates and fixes in the works, including an option to disable observing multiplayer tactical combat between other players.

We are also looking for additional fixes for people having troubles with the online account system, folks getting the game to run through their routers, and compatibility with certain integrated Graphics Laptops / Tablets. Please check the Support Forums and Knowledge base for updates and don't hesitate to contact us when you have trouble getting the game running smoothly on your equipment.

Thanks for your support!
-The Team @ Triumph
they are limiting the AI spamming global dispels

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Finally a game that feels like Master of Magic. Been replaying that game since it came out. Only got a couple hours in last night, anxious to get back to it. Damn job
frown.png

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I really wish that they had preserved the chance to miss outright from the previous games... dealing with walled enemy cities is a joke when you can just mass fire on the 1 or 2 ranged units the AI seems to keep in there, once that dies everything else just pops out. It used to be that besieging ranged units got such a massive accuracy penalty that you were forced to attack the gates/walls and deal with a disadvantage.

Question for you guys, are you noticing in your games that the AI seems to leave independents alone if they aren't within their domain? In my game they aren't clearing them out and thus I have a huge exp/item advantage in my second to hardest difficulty game.

Sulrn

Deuces
Only playing knight, but I've noticed the ai focuses on expansion first then filling in holes unless indies pick a fight first.

So, yes initially but not as the mid game progresses.