Alan Wake 2

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Is this a better buy on PS5 than PC?

I got a 3080 on my PC but seeing as I allready have AW1 in my library I might just get it for PS5 when I get the time to play it.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Already knew it was a dead loss on my 1080Ti anyway, but finally found a proper review.
Kinda funny just HOW bad it is for people without HW Mesh Shader support.
What's extra frustrating for me is that my 5700XT supports primitive shaders but not mesh shaders, just like the PS5. But since it's not 100% the same implementation Remedy didn't bother coding for my GPU when they did the workarounds to get it running on PS5.
Is this a better buy on PS5 than PC?

I got a 3080 on my PC but seeing as I allready have AW1 in my library I might just get it for PS5 when I get the time to play it.
Based on the first round of DF testing (Utnayan posted the video above) I would avoid the PS5 version. Quality mode is 1270p upscaled to 4K and performance mode is only 847p upscaled to 1440p. Neither hits their target framerate all the time, so you're looking at drops into the 20's on quality mode and 40's and 50's on performance. This is the main reason I'd avoid the PS5, since even drops to 40's are playable with VRR but PS5 support for VRR is much shittier than on Series X. The number of displays it works with is much smaller, and also the PS5's VRR range is capped at 48 Hz/fps on the low end. Series X will go all the way down to 30 Hz, though realistically it will always be constrained by the TV/monitor specs and I've never seen those go below 40 Hz.

At any rate, I would expect a PC with a 3080 to be a far better experience than either console even though you won't be able to see it in full path traced glory.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
It’s definitely more horror focused than first but nothing too horrifying (yet). Game looks and runs wonderfully a few hours in and loving it.

Yep same here. Played 3-4 hours last night. Even playing 30 FPS with Fidelty graphics on Series X and looks great. Watching Sam Lake trying to act is still hilarious.

It's a little weird at first getting used to the investigation boards to trigger the next step in some quests but I think I have the hang of it now. Really forces you into the story more so I like that I am not confused as fuck (Yet).

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
To hopefully no one's surprise (other than DF for some bizarre reason) the Series X version beats PS5 handily, though unfortunately it's still at the same 847p/1270p internal resolutions for performance and quality modes respectively. I don't even think they mentioned the fact that Series X actually has mesh shaders while PS5 has to settle for some kind of glommed together support for primitive shaders. It's also more than a little bit infuriating to see it running on the Series POS when it's just about unplayable on my PC that stomps the shit out of it.

Argarth

On the verandah
LMAO - Mack delivers once again. SPOILERS warning if you're likely to buy the game.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Just wrapped this up.

Dragged on a bit. Overall was a decent game but some of the puzzles and maps were confusing. Had to Google a few things. Story was 8/10. Music was fucking epic. Ending was
a cliff hanger…. Wrap it up already.

also one part at the end when saga was noting about being fucked over by whitey. Shut the fuck up.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users