Alas poor THQ

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
THQ is already in the hands of someone else, that's part of the bankruptcy. If EA or Activision had wanted them, they could have easily bought them.
True, but it is an investment firm that bought them out. Nothing says the firm won't decide it might be better to sell off certain franchises to recoup some of their investment. Though, they have said they will let anything in development finish, so I'm not really as concerned as I was initially.

Realistically, it isn't their franchises that are really the problem anyways. Most of their troubles started a few years ago when they decided they wanted to be a major publisher like EA and Activision and got worse when they threw so much money behind uDraw. From what I've been reading, the new CEO has been doing a decent job streamlining the company and jettisoning things that haven't been making them much money (like Valusoft and the UFC franchise).

Angry Amadeus_sl

shitlord
What's been surprising to me is the mismanagement of these studios. THQ, 38 Studios; both with moderately to highly successful titles under their belts, yet they just can't seem to keep their shit together or plan appropriately, or enter into the right kinds of agreements with third parties. It's fucking astounding to see such great success just fall away and die off. And sad - I'll be honest, I was really looking forward to some R.A. Salvatore written MMO.

mukkel

Trakanon Raider
Having worked for them for years and seeing the writing on the wall along with some of my more attentive colleagues - I sincerely hope the new owners cleanse THQ of its biggest cockroach nest: Farrell and his high school friends called the Board. Knowing Ruben, I'm sure this has already been communicated to the investors which is why bringing them over isn't part of the deal.

Rease

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think this sucks no matter the reasons. There aren't that many big publishers out there willing to take any chances. I am sure THQ saw the Wii success and tried to make a gimmicky trend type deal with the UDraw. Its a shame it failed honestly. I also really liked Darksiders 2. I thought it was better than the first and not by a little bit. I know the writing says that the subsidiaries will keep pumping and stay working but thats not always how it works. Lets hope they do keep working and the people that were the heart and soul behind Saints Row 2, the Darksiders series etc are still the heart and soul of those games going forward.

Mukkel I am sorry to hear you lost your job. I hope your transition to new work is over fast and rewarding. Best of luck and sorry that cronyism and nepotism fucked over what was a solid publishing house and your place of employment.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I loved their Warhammer games. Not getting any more of those will make me a sad panda.

Goatface

was a huge fan of SR2, but after SR3 i don't care if THQ/Volition make another game or not. all there other games i tried are not even worth bitching about.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I think they fucked up by not making Red Faction Guerilla an FPS, that was my all time favorite FPS. My friends and I were so excited to play a new one then we saw it was going to be 3rd person shooter and it killed it for us.

I wish more people loved the original I would get a server going just to keep playing it.

Fadaar

That guy
I think they fucked up by not making Red Faction Guerilla an FPS, that was my all time favorite FPS. My friends and I were so excited to play a new one then we saw it was going to be 3rd person shooter and it killed it for us.

I wish more people loved the original I would get a server going just to keep playing it.
The Red Faction setting is perfect for an MMO, however I doubt anyone could do it right.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
I am surprised this company lasted as long as it did. For me THQ is synonymous to a number of atrocious SNES games during the '90s.. Family Dog, Home Alone, The Lawnmower Man,Pitfighter... I guess when your average customer is a parent who does not care or a retarded teenager, it's a viable business model to pay some licensing fee (probably not that much at the time as few people took the time to notice how big the gaming market was), ask three guys to make something resembling a game in a couple months and voil?!
Hey now, that's uncalled for.

Szlia

I am talking about the SNES version. Not that the arcade version is much better, but I doubt even you would defend the SNES version.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
Hopethis doesn't come to pass, it was sort of what I was fearing:

A group of lenders have filed an objection in a Delaware court over the quick sale of THQ's assets to Clearlake Capital Group following the struggling video game publisher filing for bankruptcy protection last month. But THQ says it's likely to run out of cash this month, necessitating the short sale window of just 30 days.

The lenders say the quick turnaround on the sale of THQ's studios and game franchises doesn't afford other potential buyers the opportunity to make competitive bids and that the publisher's stable of franchises -Saints Row, Darksiders, Homefront, Company of Heroes, et al. - should be considered for sale on a title-by-title basis, not as a whole.

mukkel

Trakanon Raider
Mukkel I am sorry to hear you lost your job. I hope your transition to new work is over fast and rewarding. Best of luck and sorry that cronyism and nepotism fucked over what was a solid publishing house and your place of employment.
Oh I didn't lose my job - You could see the writing on the wall years ahead - Jumped ship when I saw it sailing right into an iceberg
smile.png

smile.png

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
Well, shit:

As is the way with these sorts of things, a hearing was held yesterday to get the situation sorted, during which U.S. bankruptcy judge Mary F. Walrath concluded that THQ's plan does not allow enough time for interested parties other than Clearlake Capital Group to get properly involved in the process. Therefore, the plan is rejected.