Alas poor THQ

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I drive past the (former) THQ offices in Carlsbad every month when I visit one of my agencies there. Sad times indeed.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
http://gamepolitics.com/2013/01/23/t...uction-results

According to the letter, Sega will buy Relic Entertainment and the Company of Heroes franchise; Koch Media has picked up Volition, Saint's Row and the Metro property; Crytek has purchased the Homefront franchise, Take-Two bought the rights to an unannounced game called Evolve; and Ubisoft has bought THQ Montreal and the South Park RPG. THQ went on to say that some of the assets have yet to be sold and will be handled under the Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings that are ongoing.
Two franchises that were not mentioned in Rubin's letter was the WWE series of wrestling titles and Darksiders. Darksiders developer Vigil Games has apparently laid off all of its staff as of today, according to various sources.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
via Joystiq:

Relic (studio) and Company of Heroes (IP)
Winning bid: $26.6 million - Sega Corporation
Backup bidder: $26.3 million - Zenimax Media

THQ Montreal (studio), with 1666 (IP) and Underdog (IP)
Winning bid: $2.5 million - Ubisoft
Backup bidder: N/A

Evolve (IP) aka Metamorphosis
Winning bid: $10.894 million - Take-Two Interactive
Backup bidder: $250,000 Turtle Rock Studios, Inc.

Volition (studio) and Saints Row (IP)
Winning bid: $22.3 million - Koch Media GmbH (Deep Silver)
Backup bidder: $5.4 million - Ubisoft

Homefront (IP)
Winning bid: $544,218 - Crytek GmbH

Metro (license), which includes 2033 and 2034
Winning bid: $5,877,551 - Koch Media GmbH (Deep Silver)
Backup bidder: $5.175 million - Ubisoft

South Park: The Stick of Truth (license)
Winning bid: $3,265,306 - Ubisoft

Take Two has also picked up the WWE license.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Dear lord and savoir,
Please guide company of heroes through this difficult time.
Please guide the whole body of staff to be delivered apon to Sega.
Please let Sega have a fair and honest appreciation of the franchise and value it's staff members as one values their family.
Please nourish it and cherish it so it's glory may reflect your glory.
Please deliver onto us a sequel worthy of your glory.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
I just want Saints Row 4 to be Saints Row 2 but better. SR3 was good... but was way too short. Probably due to budget cut among other things.

Killjoy_sl

shitlord
Here's to hoping they allow Relic to keep pumping out CoH and 40k games. Sega also owns Creative Assembly (Total War) who just bought the rights to Warhammer Fantasy so maybe there will be some collaboration down the road.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
Volition (studio) and Saints Row (IP)
Winning bid: $22.3 million - Koch Media GmbH (Deep Silver)
Backup bidder: $5.4 million - Ubisoft

Who is Koch Media? And sad that the backup bid was so low.
frown.png

Dashivax

N00b
Here's to hoping they allow Relic to keep pumping out CoH and 40k games. Sega also owns Creative Assembly (Total War) who just bought the rights to Warhammer Fantasy so maybe there will be some collaboration down the road.
Relic didn't own the 40k IP rights though, it was THQ. No idea who ended up with what after this, especially since Vigil was making the next 40K game and no one bought them.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Where did you hear Vigil was making the next 40K game? The MMO was cancelled ages ago, and I hadn't heard about any projects aside from DoW3, which is being done by Relic.

Tauntworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Pretty sure that the MMO version was cancelled, Gavinrad, but has been redirected as a single player game w/ a 'rich multiplayer experience'. That was the last I heard, I'll have to dig some sources up to confirm, but I know all the assets weren't scrapped entirely.

EDIT: So here's where the confusion stems from. PR guy is just making it a shitshow. Peep this:http://kotaku.com/5970219/what-the-h...dark-millenium

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
God if Sega got WH rights and gave it to CA to make a Total War Warhammer game..... jesus... That said, wtb Homeworld and more 40k games please. Koch Media needs to drop Saints Row and have Volition do a Freespace 3. YEAH!

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Koch Media needs to drop Saints Row
Kindly choke on a bag of dicks. Also, THQ did not have the Warhammer Fantasy rights. Don't think anybody really did, because pretty much every WH Fantasy game has been pretty awful. Except Shadow of the Horned Rat and Dark Omen I guess, which were ok by the standards of 15-20 years ago.

Killjoy_sl

shitlord
Kindly choke on a bag of dicks. Also, THQ did not have the Warhammer Fantasy rights. Don't think anybody really did, because pretty much every WH Fantasy game has been pretty awful. Except Shadow of the Horned Rat and Dark Omen I guess, which were ok by the standards of 15-20 years ago.
Sega signed a multi-title deal for the Warhammer Fantasy rights late last year before the recent Relic purchase. I'm hoping for a Warhammer: Total War but that would be a long way off consider Rome 2 isn't scheduled to release until late 2013.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/12/06/cr...title-deal-fi/