Alaska

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Should be flying up in June.

Into Anchorage, prolly going to spend a few days puttering around, just seeing how it feels.

Maybe do some fishing. Check out some of the small towns etc.

Any info is appreciated.

Grim1 Grim1

Know anyone in Talkeetna?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Make sure you know where you can fish and with what etc. Talkeetna was a disappointment to me. Hike flat top around Anchorage. Go halibut fishing out of Seward. Check vrbo for lodging, can get cool and off the grid places. There are some nice cabins out of homer that are only accessible by boat.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Check out Gravina Island, i heard its a HOT tourist spot.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Should be flying up in June.

Into Anchorage, prolly going to spend a few days puttering around, just seeing how it feels.

Maybe do some fishing. Check out some of the small towns etc.

Any info is appreciated.

Grim1 Grim1

Know anyone in Talkeetna?
Let's make it a FoH group thing. I'd love to see Alaska.

Phayd

Golden Knight of the Realm
If you get a chance and like hiking, you should check out the Harding Ice Field outside of Seward.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I spent 3 weeks there. Mostly on the Kenai pennisula fishing. It can get pretty busy during the summer however. I lived in Soldtotna. My uncle lived there for 3 months out of the year every year. He arranged for a woman to let me stay at her house. Her husband had been a missionary and they ran the local museum deal.

Kenai for fishing a lot. Up and down the pennisula in various rivers, The Russian and such. I flew off a small like there a few times for sight seeing on a float plane. Checked out the Harding ice field. The only time I spent in Anchorage was to see some of the damage from the earthquake. My uncle had a friend that worked for Alaska Fish and Game. He had a pilots license and a cub. He flew me around quite a bit and fly into some places just to get out and hike around and look.

I went out in the cook inlet a few times going halibut fishing. I caught a couple. Nothing serious in the halibut world, out of Homer. Everyone talked about how much it rained. I guess. It rained every day nearly, but to me it seemed like a mist a lot of times

Don't expdct to go and meet any hot women for the most part. I took my cousin with me, she had a brain tumor and I was her chaperone on the trip to get there. My great uncle was her grandfather and he bankrolled a large part of the tip. She's 2 years younger than me and at one time had been a big beauty queen type. She garnered a huge amount of interest. She would walk off and give a puke sign lol. We would sit together and people assume we were married, it was odd. People would walk up and just out of the blue say stupid shit "Where did you find this woman", "She must not be from around here".

If you are near Anchorage you can get away from it really quick just in the state park. The Chugach state park between Anchorage and Kenai is larger than most National Forest. Lots of hiking everywhere.

I had a blast though. Seeing the bora tide on the cook inlet was well worth it. The tide changes so big so fast the incoming tide makes a couple foot tall wave coming up the inlet against the flow. Don't park near a river at low tide lol. 30 foot tide change and you see it in the news, some dipshit parked along the river and boom car gone as the tide comes in. Also saw quite a few beluga whales in the inlet at the river mouth. One of my best memories of all time. My cousin and I would just sit in the grass on the bluff at the river outlet into to the cook inlet. Sit there for hours and watch people fishing below us. The fishing boats circling the inlet to the river. Watching the whales. Watching the bora tide roll in. It was incrediably peaceful.

Nothing beats going out of Homer to pick up crabs on a minus tide. Using an inflatable rage to get to shore. The guy we went with fell in. I sat in the boat while everyone else picked up crabs. We also dug some clams. We canned all the salmon and clams. I bought back two cases of salmon. We made a lot of squaw candy, salmon jerky. Shit was great.I sat there and watched all the killer whales all over and up around the boat. Well worth the trip.

Saw tons of moose, dall sheep where everywhere, tons of caribou. In my normal anti bear self never saw one. I spent 2 weeks in the corner of Yellowstone they give out warnings about the bear problems. Nothing, luck continued in Alaska.

Go visit the slime line from a distance. Tons of young, dumb people get to Alaska with nothing more than a backpack and not a clue. They wind up working 12 hours a day at the Salmon places they clean and package everything and live in a tent all summer. The slime line they call it. It's not where you really want to be, but it's worth seeing how many wind up in AK without a clue.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Borzak

Flying over the Harding Ice Field, out of Soldotna in a float plane. I highly suggest seeing it or something similar.

82493919_2215407312098224_7903684202049044480_o.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Borzak

I didn't see a bear the entire time fishing there. Lots of people salmon fishing carried a revolver for bears. I was pretty disappointed.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
That was one thing that surprised me when I went. In the popular areas there are filleting tables sitting out in the middle of the river so people won't leave their fish guts along the bank to attract bears. You just stand out in the middle of the river and fillet your salmon and throw the guts into the current.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
My cousin and I, years ago, had a plan to start a whorehouse in Alaska . . .

• 1Seriously?

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
My whole family is from there, left when I was 3. I went back and spent a few months near Juneau around 2012.

Food was more expensive than Hawaii, mosquitos were half the size and twice as annoying, I discovered that Eagles are just flying rats, the people I met were a little odd, and the scenery is gorgeous.

I like Alaska better on a post-card than I do in person.

• 1Worf