Aliens: Colonial Marines

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Tonight when I get off work I am going to do the preinstall and then load it and play for a bit on a VPN to Australia and see how it really is.

So far the IGN reviewer put out a clue saying it isn't as good as Borderlands, but wasn't as bad as Duke Nukem Forever :\

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
AvP 2 for the PC was pretty awesome imho. Not as hard or scary as AvP 1, but the multi was tits.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Going to be extremely sad if this turns out to be so bad. Going to hold off on picking up my order until the review embargo is lifted.

Seventh

Golden Squire
Fuck. Please don't let this suck.
frown.png

Beef Supreme_sl

shitlord
AVP3 was a turd. Since that game, I no longer buy games before they are out and I have a chance to see what the bros have to say about it.

I will have a major sad if this game sucks.

Knytestorme_sl

shitlord
I grabbed the 360 version on saturday when street date broke here and tbh I have been enjoying it enough that I grabbed the PC + season pass from GMG yesterday because the only problem I have had on 360 so far has been shitty 480p seeming resolution and textures, am hoping pc version will fix that.

I haven't tried multiplayer yet and only got a few missions in to the campaign but just playing those after Dead Space 3 reminded me of what tension and pacing in a game like this should be. I was scanning everywhere as I was moving through the levels, walking backwards so I could watch the rear etc. Yes the firefights are fast and it's a killfest game when that occurs but while you are wandering through corridors full of alien slime, opened eggs, dead facehuggers, motion tracker out and see movement out the corner of your eye but then see nothing (because the xeno's blend like a motherfucker with their hardened slime) it gets tense.

The marine AI is shitty, though I'm hoping that the drop-in co-op will help with that once more people have it, and some of the items you need to interact with (like consoles) are a little hard to see at times to the point I restarted a checkpoint because I thought the AI had bugged out but it was just that I didn't see a console but the enemy AI so far has been fairly good with plenty of flanking and other tactics being used by the two types of enemies I've come across so far.

I'm liking it, certainly a lot more than DS3, and the fact it's canonical means that a fan of the universe really needs to at least be up to speed on what happens in it but I am only a few missions in and can accept it might end up being shit but so far I'm ranking it as looking to be around a 7/10 if it stays at this level (not taking in to account the multiplayer as it doesn't really interest me that much)

Fuya_sl

shitlord
AvP 2 for the PC was pretty awesome imho. Not as hard or scary as AvP 1, but the multi was tits.
I played the hell out of AvP 2 multi back in the day. I still remember the when AvP movie came out a year later and everyone purchased the AvP 2 gold pack to play online. I made sure to play as a marine and school every alien/predator I crossed since humans in the movie looked weak. Once I was the only marine playing, jumped into a mech suit, run into a room with three aliens and two predators fighting it out, launch a barrage of rockets and racked up five kills while taunting them to "come at me bro".

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
I guess the arcade game I was thinking of was actually called Aliens vs. Predator as well. Whatever, shit was awesome.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I unlocked the PC version via VPN and played... Holy fuck. I don't know what I just played. I'll cross post.

Ok confirming: The campaign is horrid. Aliens are as we feared. Most of the time they just get stuck walking around and are no challenge what so ever. One went back and forth, forward and back, and I watched wondering what it was doing. If I didn't know any better, this was a new Michael Jackson Moonwalker Alien. About the only way this entire single player experience can redeem itself is with a friend, in coop, extremely fucking hammered and laughing our asses off that we bought this game.

Hopefully multiplayer will save the day here. I cannot test that on this VPN I am on. It's pretty laggy so will wait for tomorrow.

Music, sounds, all what you would expect.

I swear to God they used existing Art Assets from the PS2 version. Some of the textures are SO bad. They look like green / red blobs when they are supposed to be various electronic equipment. The voice acting is horrible. This isn't a spoiler I do not think but this is what one lady said over a comm channel... In the most monotone voice you could ever imagine. "Yeah. This thing attached to my face. I'm ok now though. It was weird."

I am so glad I only paid $37.99 for this. I wouldn't recommend this at $9.99 so far. Again, reinstating I hope the multiplayer is good.

and...

So I just watched as one Alien decided to turn it's back to me and sit there staring at a wall doing nothing. Another decided it would be a good idea to go under a grate... the only problem, the tail was clipping right through it. I also had an Alien, after I shot it, hang in mid-air by itself just... suspended in the air upside down not attached to anything.

Holy fuck. They should be issuing fucking refunds.

I'm liking it, certainly a lot more than DS3, and the fact it's canonical means that a fan of the universe really needs to at least be up to speed on what happens in it but I am only a few missions in and can accept it might end up being shit but so far I'm ranking it as looking to be around a 7/10 if it stays at this level (not taking in to account the multiplayer as it doesn't really interest me that much)
How is this opinion even possible? Sorry, but... Jesus. I am not sure how you can call this game tense as you can see Aliens coming at you (Slowly) from tens of feet out, they die at the drop of a hat, some just get stuck on something, the voice aqcting is terrible, I never have to pull up my motion tracker because I just see an Alien coming at me. They are so unmenacing. The only time I was tense, even for a second, was first getting onboard the Sulaco and I found that guy tied up. And even then, after what happened, I had to laugh. There wasn't any jump scare associated. Then I chased an Alien around in a circle for 2 minutes.

fris

Vyemm Raider
developers were streaming multiplayer on Twitch, playing on xbox. seemed meh. they were bad at the game, so hard to tell how balanced it was. it played a lot like L4D, each side got a turn at aliens(infected) or marines(survivors). there's at least 3 types of aliens i think. the normal jump around and slash. one that stays in the back and spits. and a bigger one that slashes but doesn't seem to move as fast. dunno. graphics weren't that impressive, but streaming an xbox, so who knows.

Silence_sl

shitlord
It's amazing that GB screwed this one up...considering how good BL 1/2 are, and the fact this was 5 years in development. While I won't damn it yet, the small stack of user reviews trickling out have a common thread, and that thread isn't good. I lost all interest when I saw screens a few months ago.

Now we know why this has been up to 50% off on sale.
redface.png

Beef Supreme_sl

shitlord
It's amazing that GB screwed this one up...considering how good BL 1/2 are, and the fact this was 5 years in development. While I won't damn it yet, the small stack of user reviews trickling out have a common thread, and that thread isn't good. I lost all interest when I saw screens a few months ago.

Now we know why this has been up to 50% off on sale.
redface.png
The Curse of the Xenomorphs.

Aliens is the new Madden cover.

Knytestorme_sl

shitlord
How is this opinion even possible? Sorry, but... Jesus. I am not sure how you can call this game tense as you can see Aliens coming at you (Slowly) from tens of feet out, they die at the drop of a hat, some just get stuck on something, the voice aqcting is terrible, I never have to pull up my motion tracker because I just see an Alien coming at me. They are so unmenacing. The only time I was tense, even for a second, was first getting onboard the Sulaco and I found that guy tied up. And even then, after what happened, I had to laugh. There wasn't any jump scare associated. Then I chased an Alien around in a circle for 2 minutes.
Meh, it's how I found it playing in the middle of the night with all lights off. I didn't say it was tense in fights with them, I said it was tense wondering where they were going to spring from as you are moving through the level and I stand by that.