Aliens: Colonial Marines

Knytestorme_sl

shitlord
After seeing all the reviews and opinions on the game I literally don't understand how I'm enjoying it. Perhaps I've just been waiting for an Aliens game set back in that universe that I'm willing to overlook it's flaws, perhaps my opinion will change after I finish it and find I don't multiplayer or something....I got no idea so feel free to ignore my earlier opinions though I still hold to them and the 7/10 at this stage.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
So uhhh, where is this game at? Because this is what got me interested in this thing in the first place, and as far as I can tell this video is 100% fabrication and does not actually exist at all in what they released.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Right, so everyone put in a refund request on Steam and you'll probably get your money back.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Man, Gearbox's credibility and good will has now all been completely flushed down the toilet for me after this fiasco. I can't believe they managed to shit out a game even worse than what they did with Duke Nukem Forever.

Knytestorme_sl

shitlord
yeah, spent some more time and spoke to other guys in the office and have sent off an email to GMG requesting a refund for it. Doubt they'll come through so will just have to take a wait and see approach to Gearbox and Randy from now on, which is annoying after BL1/2

Sean_sl

shitlord
Jesus Christ almighty. Fuck Gearbox. So basically they took this license, kept dicking around with it and putting it off while they made their own games, then scrambled and went "oh fuck! we need to hire someone to finish this shit up for us or we're in deep shit" and went on making yet another one of their own games instead of fucking taking real responsibility for a franchise they were licensed.

Fuck Gearbox, that level of irresponsibility and the fact that they have completely tanked what could have been an amazing Aliens game is inexcusable.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Top comment below, think we found Utnayan's Reddit account?

reddit_sl said:
Not acceptable. Not one fucking bit. If your company could not handle development of BL2 and A:CM then you should have put one or the other on the backburner and finished one game. You guys are NOT Blizzard, Ive seen your offices. You dont have hundreds of millions of dollars and can have "cabals" like Valve where different teams are working on different titles.

Your upper management and Pitchford should have known this. For fuck sakes its HIS company, he doesn't even know whats beyond your ability as a company? Is that what it takes to run a game dev studio now? To be completely detached from reality? Shit, are you guys hiring? How can I get Pitchfords job? Really, I guarantee I wont even ask for an amazing sum. Shit, 70k annually and I will get you guys sorted out. Seriously.

Whomever is there behind the steering wheel is overselling your companies ability to do what is tasked to them. That is pathetic.

How you people are still in business is beyond me.

I really hope that DLC ISNT released to "flesh out the story" really, just leave it alone. You guys have done quite enough. Leave it alone, go crank out borederlands3 4 and 5. Just leave this game alone.

The CODization of the gun game, the special aliens that were ripped from left 4 dead, the retconned nonsense that ignores basic things every fan knows as truth from the movies. Really, just stop please.

Whomever made that first fateful decision for you guys to start and stop development of Borederlands, Aliens for the DS, Duke Nukem Fornever, Colonial Marines, Borederlands 2, Brothers In Arms: We cant think of anything original so lets just ape Tarantinos inglorious bastards and god know what else you have right now needs to be fired.

Seriously, who mandates to a company of your size "moar games, develop moar games!"

Really, whomever made this call at the ceo, coo, cfo, kfc, mma, lol level is a world class idiot. They are going to cause your company to go buttfuck bankrupt. Im calling it right now. GBX, the next THQ.

Id start looking for gainful employment elsewhere bro. Nothing against you personally (unless your name is Randy Pitchford then you can go suck a dick) I hold none of the designers, artists and whatnot accountable for this abortion, but your leaders ....... unbelievable.

This is not sound business.

Beef Supreme_sl

shitlord
He's right though. How Pitchford still, or ever, has a job is beyond me. DNF and now this. Come the fuck on.

I was really looking forward to this game. Fuck you Gearbox.

Beef Supreme_sl

shitlord
http://www.timegate.com/games/

Look at the game at the top of the list. Word on the street is that Time Gate essentially made the game. More as it develops.

Edit:
the following is from gearbox employee on reddit....the real truth begins to come out... sega probably calling their lawyers already...

"First off, due to me breaking NDA, I can't provide any proof that I'm not just talking out of my ass. But I figure you'd be interested in hearing what I have to say regardless. I've been on the project for around a year and a half, so some of the following are things I've heard from more senior guys.
Pecan (the internal codename for ACM) has a pretty long history. SEGA, GBX and 20th Century FOX came to an agreement to produce an Aliens game around 6 years ago, after which SEGA almost immediately announced it, long before Pecan had even started production. The game has been in active development in the past, only to be shelved in favor of another project (Borderlands, Duke, etc), and each time it was resumed it would undergo a major content overhaul.
SEGA, naturally, wasn't super pleased about the delays, but GBX got away with it for a long time and the contract between SEGA and GBX kept getting augmented to push the projected release further and further back. The last time it was resumed, GBX outsourced a good portion of the game to outside companies. Initially, the plan was for TimeGate to take the majority of campaign, GBX would take MP, Demiurge and Nerve would handle DLC and various other focused tasks. This decision was made mostly so that most of the developers at GBX could continue working on Borderlands 2, while a small group of LDs, coders and designers dealt with Pecan.
Somehow the schedules for Pecan and Borderlands 2 managed to line up and GBX realized that there was no ******* way they could cert and ship two titles at the same time. Additionally, campaign (which was being developed by TimeGate) was extremely far behind, even as Pecan's Beta deadline got closer and closer. In April or May (can't remember which), Pecan was supposed to hit beta, but GBX instead came to an agreement with SEGA that they would push the release date back one more time, buying GBX around 9 mos extension.
About 5 of those 9 months went to shipping BL2. In that time, TimeGate managed to scrap together 85% of the campaign, but once Borderlands 2 shipped and GBX turned its attention to Pecan, it became pretty apparent that what had been made was in a pretty horrid state. Campaign didn't make much sense, the boss fights weren't implemented, PS3 was way over memory, etcetcetc. GBX was pretty unhappy with TG's work, and some of Campaign maps were just completely redesigned from scratch. There were some last minute feature requests, most notably female marines, and the general consensus among GBX devs was that there was no way this game was going to be good by ship. There just wasn't enough time.
Considering that SEGA was pretty close to taking legal action against GBX, asking for an extension wasn't an option, and so Pecan crash-landed through certification and shipping. Features that were planned were oversimplified, or shoved in (a good example of this are challenges, which are in an incredibly illogical order). Issues that didn't cause 100% blockers 100% blockers were generally ignored, with the exception of absolutely horrible problems. This isn't because GBX didn't care, mind you. At a certain point, they couldn't risk changing ANYTHING that might cause them to fail certification or break some other system. And so, the product you see is what you get.
Beyond gameplay, the story has been raised as an issue several times. I can't really comment without feeling bad beyond saying that the script was approved by 20th Century FOX, and that the rush to throw a playable product together came at the cost of the story. Campaign does a pretty bad job of explaining a lot of the questions raised at the start of the game, and so hopefully there will be DLC to flesh that out a bit better."

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
http://www.timegate.com/games/

Look at the game at the top of the list. Word on the street is that Time Gate essentially made the game. More as it develops.
AndSega is denying this.

Playnews ? an independent news agency that focuses on the games industry ? has informed us about an interesting statement from SEGA?s senior producer, Matthew J. Powers. According to the news, Aliens: Colonial Marines primary development has not been outsourced to TimeGate and Gearbox Software was not responsible just for the game?s multiplayer, Sega of America?s Senior Producer Matthew J. Powers confirmed to Playnews on Tuesday.
As Powers told Playnews during the Italian Aliens: Colonial Marines? launch event:

?Absolutely not, the game has been developed by Gearbox Software. Other studios [like Timegate] helped Gearbox on the production of single and multiplayer.?
Basically just sounds like everyone wants to disavow having anything to do with the debacle.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Sounds like Sega is having a go at GB lol. Sucks to see they took on something they never should have. Pretty obvious after the success of BL that they wanted to get started on the the sequel right away. Many a bridge will be burned in this fiasco.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
i212wUcwcU0eE.gif
Holy fucking Jesus