Alita: Battle Angel (2018)

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Rodriguez is still trying to make 2 more sequels to this. The shit got all muddled when Disney bought Fox, but apparently there are talks ongoing.
they should, at some point they will get tired of rebooting Lion King and Aladdin every year and go with something original and fun. Rodriguez makes mostly good fun movies.

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
ugh, i hate motorball arc the most

Motorball arc was fine (even if the transition in the comics was disjointed) but it definitely distracted from the story in the movie. It didn't need to be so obviously shoehorned in to setup future movies like they did.

Show a little tiny bit of Motorball in the background of some scene, maybe show the champion guy, and then leave it at that. Less is more. But this is Hollywood and we know that subtlety is a lost art with those people.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Motorball arc was fine (even if the transition in the comics was disjointed) but it definitely distracted from the story in the movie. It didn't need to be so obviously shoehorned in to setup future movies like they did.

Show a little tiny bit of Motorball in the background of some scene, maybe show the champion guy, and then leave it at that. Less is more. But this is Hollywood and we know that subtlety is a lost art with those people.
i think the motorball aspect is important, its why Rome had brutal coliseum games. to appease the masses and keep them from revolting because of their miserable lives.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Well damn, the Alita thread took a surprising turn...
many movies use that sports trope. its always in films where a goverment is oppressive and causing great harm. Nova represents that, they use that floating city as a reward for compliance.

• 1Like

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
many movies use that sports trope. its always in films where a goverment is oppressive and causing great harm. Nova represents that, they use that floating city as a reward for compliance.
Ah, I honestly didn't think your post was on-topic. I thought you were derailing into modern/current gub'mint or something.

RE: in the manga, at least, Nova was way different than that. He was more a rogue element pursuing 'karma' or some bullshit like that. He'd burn everything down and then laugh about it, while eating flan.

I don't know if the movies will make it to Zalem/Tiphares, and all of that nonsense, but it was (IMHO) a better arc than the Motorball stuff was.

(then the ZOTT just got...fucking...WEIRD)

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Ah, I honestly didn't think your post was on-topic. I thought you were derailing into modern/current gub'mint or something.

RE: in the manga, at least, Nova was way different than that. He was more a rogue element pursuing 'karma' or some bullshit like that. He'd burn everything down and then laugh about it, while eating flan.

I don't know if the movies will make it to Zalem/Tiphares, and all of that nonsense, but it was (IMHO) a better arc than the Motorball stuff was.

(then the ZOTT just got...fucking...WEIRD)
presently its the only way into the floating city. Alita by becoming champion gets to ascend into it so she can stop Nova. the Erm said that was her primary mission

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
Just unpacked my office and found these. Might be time for a re-read.

Edit: had the order fucked up

20210208_162238.jpg

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Doesnt need a sequal.

1) Didnt rosa get fat

2) First was all over the place with basically 3 movies thrown together into a single movie. While an alright scifi/cyberpunk movie, overall it was pretty meh.

elidib

Vyemm Raider
Do you not remember how the first one ended? It definitely did need a sequel.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
Any good for a preteen girl? (Me ofc. Also my daughters).
I'd say probably if she's into manga. There's some gore but it's not super dark and since everything is black and white it's not egregious.

• 1Like