Alita: Battle Angel (2018)

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Now that you mention it, that was half true. She and her presentation were fine. How the males were treated as pieces of shit was not so much.

I don't think they were treated like pieces of shit. Hugo was pretty fucking useless, but he essentially takes the place of a love interest to Alita and comes across similar to how any female love interest would: Someone to be rescued.

In any other movie Alita would be a Mary-Sue that is constantly saving all the men, but that's exactly what this character is about: Being incredibly powerful to the point of absurdity while surrounded by garbage scroungers. She's a level above. The reason why this works well in the movie is that Alita is a good affable person willing to sacrifice all of that and herself for these people, whereas a modern Mary-Sue would be saving their asses while also being a giant insult to them and shouting girl powah!

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Hi. It’s 2019. We can have different opinions. Don’t be insulting just because we disagree. I enjoyed your review. I didn’t compare it to the anime or OVA (no idea what that is.). I reviewed it as a stand alone movie.
Really? Different Opinions?? 2019??? Come on. I wasn't trying to be directly insulting to you; your review reads so far over the top I can't tell if its serious or done for comedic effect. Alita is supposed to vary between 13 and 16-17; how else am I to take a review that includes as the sole saving grace her "fuckability"? OVA, btw, stands from Original Video Animation, anime that wasn't broadcast on TV or shown in theaters but made to go straight to VHS/DVD. Also, and perhaps you were just hyperbolic with your writing and this doesn't include you (and with your response I tend to think now it doesn't) there are a growing number of people who seem to only be able to think in binary terms about art/music: its the best or its terrible. I dislike the trend of folks who can't feel moderately in regards to something, and establish more nuanced positions. It takes more effort.

There are all kinds of things to criticize the movie about, though. I agree that, while I don't know about "small" (lack of transition shots hurt it here, they could have fixed this in less than 20 sec of screen time), it really didn't feel very dystopian to me at all, especially before I had seen any of the source material. Iron City is supposed to be Blade Runner-esque; instead, it's light and colorful. I sincerely hate the word "trope" but there is a familiarity to some of the narrative elements. There is a city suspended in the sky, though, and you had to know going in there were going to be certain things referenced.

I have a friend who is big into Alita with whom I hadn't discussed the movie until today post viewing, and I guess I will read the manga now. I tend to not read much manga because of a dumb reason: I can't get over the right to left thing. Attack on Titan is the only one I have ever tried to keep up with and that is only because I needed to know how it was going to go and wasn't going to wait years for the anime to get closure.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I tend to not read much manga because of a dumb reason: I can't get over the right to left thing.
If you can find scans of the old '90s Viz Comics (or the actual comics themselves), they mirrored everything before adding the translated text, so they read left to right instead of right to left.

I take shit pictures; give Tuco Negs to offset this injustice

HSDL1zR.jpg

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Saw it the other day and I actually really enjoyed it. I wasn't super attached to it going in and the poor reviews kept me away until I had nothing better to do but I wish I saw it in theatres just to support it.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Finally got around to watching this tonight (in 3D). I gotta say, I was pleased. She's a badass main character. I really enjoyed the movie. I agree with Attog on fuck the ending.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

saw it on plane, actress is horrible, whole cast acts horrible actually, even jew hunter.

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Garbage
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 3 users

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Wut. I thought the did a great job with the head sets

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
This was entertaining but nothing earth shattering. I agree with someone above about the whole mood of Iron City - it was laid out as a falling apart Blade-Runner-esque place but looked more like Orgrimmar than Baghdad.

I thought everything outside the rollerderby stuff was great - the fight scenes had weight and flow. The character development was fine. The ending was terrible. If I had to score it I would say 6.5/10 on the outside I guess.

I kept wondering who Alita was IRL because she was very familiar in spite of the CGI, then I saw one of the Maze Runner movie promo pics and it clicked.

Fucker

Log Wizard
This was entertaining but nothing earth shattering. I agree with someone above about the whole mood of Iron City - it was laid out as a falling apart Blade-Runner-esque place but looked more like Orgrimmar than Baghdad.

I thought everything outside the rollerderby stuff was great - the fight scenes had weight and flow. The character development was fine. The ending was terrible. If I had to score it I would say 6.5/10 on the outside I guess.

I kept wondering who Alita was IRL because she was very familiar in spite of the CGI, then I saw one of the Maze Runner movie promo pics and it clicked.

I loved the movie but I agree that it was too sanitary.

• 1Garbage

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
Saw it on HBO tonight. Very cringeworthy, but I loved it anyway. Feels like a cheesy anime story and it was able to keep some of the weight of the anime.

Thinking about it - it’s the cool art and detail that makes certain anime scenes memorable and meaningful; those scenes don’t translate perfectly to film for some reason (even though they could technically cgi an identical scene.

Like Spike falling out of the church or Hugo getting shredded with a smile it’s cool to see the scenes replayed, but they’re not quiet the same.

Still liked it I’m not picky !

Siliconemelons

She was pretty good in Undone.

Interesting... just slightly off FPS is annoying, animation goes from 80% filter to 90% filter randomly so its kinda off putting at times where some scenes look only a wee bit off from "normal" and others its more so...and I doubt "its meant to do that!"

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
necro
finally got around to seeing this. its pretty fucking cool. lots of cheesy goodness. great action and a good story. i would have liked to have seen that frickin floating city though. all that buildup and we never see it. shit, i dont even know who the fuck the Erm are and what was this huge war. excellent movie. they need a fucking sequel.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
necro
finally got around to seeing this. its pretty fucking cool. lots of cheesy goodness. great action and a good story. i would have liked to have seen that frickin floating city though. all that buildup and we never see it. shit, i dont even know who the fuck the Erm are and what was this huge war. excellent movie. they need a fucking sequel.
Rodriguez is still trying to make 2 more sequels to this. The shit got all muddled when Disney bought Fox, but apparently there are talks ongoing.

• 1Like