Alita: Battle Angel (2018)

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider
It was full of great action and visuals wrapped around a cliché story about a heroine making her way in a dystopian world. We all know that story and I would suspect die-hard fans of the anime/manga would find even more issue with the execution (which was uninspired to say the least). In the end, I didn't mind it because the visuals were so nice.

Also, the war sequences makes me want Old Man's War to he made pronto.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Goonsquad Officer
old man's war made by him would be dope.

We just saw it, i really liked it. I think the story was compressed and they specifically added some shit in with a sequal in mind. But i'm pretty used to Hollywood movies having "rushed" stories. i just never understand why they don't emphasize a little passage of time more in them.

The effects/fight scenes were excellent.

I thought it was one of the first female lead "badass female movies" I've seen in a while where the "badass female" actually behaves like a woman rather than "man with tits" (see also captain marvel).

I'm kind of surprised they let hugo die at the end, i was expecting them to cut out the downer ending from the anime. Also i wonder if she saved her "mom" from the damn suitcase jar at the end there. overall it went about as well as an anime adaptation can go. I thought the chick playing alita was really personable for an anime script adaptation. normally they come off like hunks of wood. also it was amusing seeing Ito from the anime except as a worrysome jew instead of a blonde japanese man

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
Saw this today. As I might have previously mentioned, I'm a huge fan of the manga and OVA. A little cringeworthy writing in places but for overall thought it was a great adaptation. Didn't mind how they handled Hugo. Cristoph Waltz was great as always.

Agree it might have had a little too much packed in because they chose to establish the Motorball stuff as an obvious hook for the sequel. Could have just as easily kept it about her first "career" as a hunter-killer but this way the transition to the Motorball arc is much less jarring. In the manga after Hugo dies, she gives up the berserker body and she is just there playing Motorball out of nowhere. In any event, I hope this does well enough to get a sequel.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Movie have very few scenes in 3d
Pretty much the entire movie is in 3D. It's just not shitty "stuff flying out of the screen" 3D, but nearly every single scene has depth to it.

Personally I thought the 3D was very well done. I normally give it a pass, but since Cameron pretty much started the whole 3D thing and Rodriguez was the biggest proponent of shooting entirely in digital for years I made an exception. Nobody else is still bothering to shoot with 3D cameras anyway, even Marvel movies just do that post-process garbage.

I thought the movie (-Hugo scenes) was excellent too, though I do wish it had a real ending instead of whatever that was. I wouldn't really call it a cliffhanger but it was still a bit of a downer. I'm not convinced that there will be a sequel and if there isn't that will be pretty annoying.

• 3Like

Homsar

Pretty much the entire movie is in 3D. It's just not shitty "stuff flying out of the screen" 3D, but nearly every single scene has depth to it.

Personally I thought the 3D was very well done. I normally give it a pass, but since Cameron pretty much started the whole 3D thing and Rodriguez was the biggest proponent of shooting entirely in digital for years I made an exception. Nobody else is still bothering to shoot with 3D cameras anyway, even Marvel movies just do that post-process garbage.

I thought the movie (-Hugo scenes) was excellent too, though I do wish it had a real ending instead of whatever that was. I wouldn't really call it a cliffhanger but it was still a bit of a downer. I'm not convinced that there will be a sequel and if there isn't that will be pretty annoying.

I had the glasses off for most of the movie so that's kind of odd. Only reason I watched it in 3D was because of Cameron

Last edited:

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I hate 3D, and couldn't find a theater showing without 3D near me, so ended up skipping it which sucks since I was really looking forward to it.

• 1Like

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I thought this one was good, other than everything to do with Hugo. I mean it's not like the rest of the plot was high art, but the scenes with that guy were almost physically painful.

I will also second that this movie with all Hugo/Romance storyline removed would have IMHO been better. Still have him, still have him be a scrapper/cyborg stripper, leave off the romance.

• 1Like

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Great looking movie, the cgi was fantastic and the plot was anime standard fare. Thoroughly enjoyed.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider

I would agree on the 3d. Unlike most cameron does a good job integrating the 3d in such a way it is just natural it adds depth to the movie without random stuff being thrown at your face. Well worth seeing in 3d if you have the chance in the theater.

• 3Solidarity

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I went into this movie excited, and I really wanted to like it. I was looking forward to it for days. Sadly, this was one of the worst movies I've seen in a long time. This is like Jupiter Ascending bad.

WHAT WAS THE PLOT? Was the plot who she was? She was a battle angel, the title tells you that, and she can fight from early in the movie, and has the memory, so that's solved early on. That wasn't the plot. Was the plot getting her to the flying city? Never happened. Was the plot a romance? Wasn't developed, didn't succeed. There was no fucking plot. There was no McGuffin. My date couldn't identify one either.

The writing was beyond shit. "Oh, that looks like a mortal wound." Are you fucking kidding me? At no point did they ever create a sense of urgency, danger, or anything else. It was always just putting Alita in some situation where she could fight someone. The boyfriend character was completely ridiculous and unnecessary. And his "walking up the ropes" to the city at the end was so stupid, and the fact that he was a robot killer/stripper was so fucking stupid as well. His death had no meaning or emotion. It was just all so bad.

The CGI was nice, in places, but some really bad green screen work too. This movie was fucking baf. Like, we laughed out loud at how bad a handful of scenes or lines were. Just terrible. A true steaming pile of shit.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 2Like
  • 1Cringe
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 3 users

Siliconemelons

I went into this movie excited, and I really wanted to like it. I was looking forward to it for days. Sadly, this was one of the worst movies I've seen in a long time. This is like Jupiter Ascending bad.

WHAT WAS THE PLOT? Was the plot who she was? She was a battle angel, the title tells you that, and she can fight from early in the movie, and has the memory, so that's solved early on. That wasn't the plot. Was the plot getting her to the flying city? Never happened. Was the plot a romance? Wasn't developed, didn't succeed. There was no fucking plot. There was no McGuffin. My date couldn't identify one either.

The writing was beyond shit. "Oh, that looks like a mortal wound." Are you fucking kidding me? At no point did they ever create a sense of urgency, danger, or anything else. It was always just putting Alita in some situation where she could fight someone. The boyfriend character was completely ridiculous and unnecessary. And his "walking up the ropes" to the city at the end was so stupid, and the fact that he was a robot killer/stripper was so fucking stupid as well. His death had no meaning or emotion. It was just all so bad.

The CGI was nice, in places, but some really bad green screen work too. This movie was fucking baf. Like, we laughed out loud at how bad a handful of scenes or lines were. Just terrible. A true steaming pile of shit.

I aint spoilering shit FYI and its been 15 years or so since I watched the anime.

This is just based off of the anime, that is left at 80% - no I have not cared enough to read even a wiki of the manga to get the latter story conclusion - because I just assume it goes wheebo convoluted for no reason.

She didn't start with full memory, so that was part of her "rebirth" and growth

This goes hand in hand with her learning and embracing that she was meant to fight, could fight and then - to use that for good.

Her and the boyfriend were to go to the flying city together, that is like the entire fucking point of the entire damn relationship and entire thing - she was junk thrown out from "up there" - reborn down in the slums and has a desire to return, fights to help those she has learned to care for and for herself so she could eventually return / get to the floating city.

Her relationship however is strained, she doubts still and it leave him to go off on his own, and his death...so there should have been something there.

The Anime stops there, and leave you wanting for a resolve, what did she do? did she make it? etc etc.

• 1Like

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
Okay so ..I went in hoping some of the fohers are right but fuck....

This movie was a hot mess....from stupid romance to dumbass crazy overtly attached girlfriend shit...

There was....no plot....no tension...wtf...is this about???? What are they fighting for???? What the fuck??? Battle suit armour literally out of nowhere...and no one discovered it for 300 years????

Fuck this movie and I want my money back..

Only good part was when Hugo died. Fuck yes. Fuck you Hugo.

• 2Like

Homsar

Everyone has pretty much said the movie delivers on the graphics and fight scenes. Some of you saying Jupiter ascending, last air bender are being ridiculous.

Will be watching this again for the effects and fight scenes

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Okay so ..I went in hoping some of the fohers are right but fuck....

This movie was a hot mess....from stupid romance to dumbass crazy overtly attached girlfriend shit...

There was....no plot....no tension...wtf...is this about???? What are they fighting for???? What the fuck??? Battle suit armour literally out of nowhere...and no one discovered it for 300 years????

Fuck this movie and I want my money back..

Only good part was when Hugo died. Fuck yes. Fuck you Hugo.

Totally agree. This was a huge, giant turd.

• 1EyeRoll
  • 1Like