Alita: Battle Angel (2018)

Korillo

Molten Core Raider
This movie was a little disappointing. It started off strong imo, but lost traction about half way through and never really pulled me back. It also leaves a lot of unknowns, so it doesn't stand on its own all that well.

The movie itself looked great though. I liked the Alita character. The few scenes you see of the space battles look unreal and I would love to see a movie set in that timeline. It was a decent movie but not very memorable.

spronk

FPS noob
This is still playing this week in Dolby 3D at AMCs for some bizarre reason, used my A-List to check it out. Echoing everyone above, first half is ok and sets up an interesting world, second half shits the bed and is a hot mess. Ending is super shitty, no real resolution to anything and the dialogue/characters are average to bad for most of the movie.

Its too bad, coulda been a good property and I think this would have worked awesomely as a HBO or Netflix TV show. Its just a rushed, messy movie though. Not at all worth a watch in theaters (except free), maybe worth a watch at home if you really love scifi/cyberpunk but its 90% CGI stuff fighting each other so I dunno.

I don't think the movie will end up being profitable, $170m budget and so far has only made $61m domestic / $200m intl but it probably needs to do $300m+ to just break even and that seems unlikely.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Movie had some issues with the lack of actual story because of the shitty romance. Otherwise I'd love for this to get a sequel because there is potential there and I liked the look of the movie.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Imagine cramming a 20 hour anime season into one movie while high on whatever weed Rodrigez can afford these days, and thats what this movie is. Worst anime adaptation since DBZ. Scarjo should personally blow all involved since no one is going to be able to remember how bad Ghost in the Shell was after seeingnthis. Epicly bad and will be this generations Plan 9,making me proud to have seen it in a theatre since rare Istar level bad movies like this are a once in a lifetime event normally. Closing song singing "This is not a swan song " is a hilariously unintentional touch of irony, as well. If you love making fun of shitty movies as , much as I do (and i paid money to see leonard part 6 in the theatre knowing what i was getting into) this is something you should not miss.

• 2Worf
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Funny, i had the exact opposite reaction. Had not seen ghost in the shell.. saw alita which i really enjoyed, which encouraged me to watch ghost in the shell the next day. Thought ghost was pathetic by comparison.

• 1Solidarity

SeanDoe1z1

Zero ties to this. Watched the big screen, then youtube'd the anime movie it was obviously based on.

Had a lot of room to grow, waste of Waltz.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Judging by the reaction in here no wonder Hollywood only produces utter dogshit.

This movie was visually awesome and about as true to the source material as it could be. The fact that many of you morons are unhappy about that just shows that you are a shitty target audience. Stick with movies like Rampage with the Rock you stupid cunts.

Personally I would like to see more movies like this and if it does well they will do a sequel but Battle Angle has been a manga for over 20 years and it still going, you can’t wrap that shit up in 2 hours.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
until they learn that you can't cram an entire season of anime and to one movie these movies are going to continue to be dogshit. The first movie should have focused entirely on her and her mentor being a hunter killer and give time to develop those storylines and relationships.the lack of time to flush that stuff out turn things that should have been waiting into jokes as a result like the entire scene where she walks into the bar to fight everyone. And there's just no defending that ending no matter how much you want a white knight this movie. Visuals were great but in this day and age any movie can have awesome visuals and that's not enough to pull people into the theaters.

• 1Dislike

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
until they learn that you can't cram an entire season of anime and to one movie these movies are going to continue to be dogshit. The first movie should have focused entirely on her and her mentor being a hunter killer and give time to develop those storylines and relationships.the lack of time to flush that stuff out turn things that should have been waiting into jokes as a result like the entire scene where she walks into the bar to fight everyone. And there's just no defending that ending no matter how much you want a white knight this movie. Visuals were great but in this day and age any movie can have awesome visuals and that's not enough to pull people into the theaters.

Sigh, The movie aside from a few liberates taken it was based off Volumes 1-2 of the Manga the same as the OVA Anime which was two 30 min episodes. The fact that you think this was some massive story smashed into this movie is pathetic. This movie was an origin story, a fucking set up movie. Again you faggots need to stick with watching shit like Battleship, or Transformers cause sploisions and stupid, or maybe Adam Sandler movies are more your speed either way the movie was about as close to the source material as you could ask for, if you don't like series that's one thing but if you were expected some Disney Princess bullshit then I hope Honey Booboo comes to the big screen for your ultimate viewer experience.

Battle Angel (OVA) - Wikipedia

• 2Seriously?
Reactions: 1 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I enjoyed the movie but it completely lacked an ending that kind of ruined it.

• 1Solidarity

Goatface

are the US releases out yet?
evo put out a 7gb rip last week, but it still has audio issues

Fucker

Log Wizard
Up for purchase now on Amazon Prime streaming. DIsc versions coming the 23rd.

• 1Garbage

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I saw this last night and enjoyed it. The lack of a satisfying ending kinda sucked, especially since it doesn't look like we'll get a sequel where it would be resolved.

I thought the movie looked great, and the action was pretty spectacular. I think for an "origin" movie, it did pretty well with exposition and still moving the story at a good pace.

I'm not familiar with the source material, so I can judge how good an adaptation it is though.

Siliconemelons

This was available on my plane ride yesterday and the head phone connection sucked- I could not hear 1/2 the dialogue.

I have to say this is the best Anime adaptation from a Anime Movie, OVA or series to a "live action" that I have seen.

It essentially follows the OVA the best of any - it cuts some stuff... I think it added stuff? about her past? Its been years since I have watched the OVA so I kinda forgot about that, heck I forgot how she got a new body...but perhaps that was added.. heck I didnt recall roller ball being so "big" of a plot.

Anywho - it was good, the pace was a little fast, but your going from 4ish?+ hours to 2? The "eyes" blend fine after a bit, her eating chocolate was worse uncanny vally than anything.

The hunter warrior bar fight was kind of out of place, but eh, the OVA just had more time do deal with that aspect that this movie didn't.

in fact... time to watch the OVA again, it is an enjoyable story - even with the lack of ending... and I read the blurbs of the manga continuation and hope if they ever finish this...its not based on the manga ;-)

• 1Solidarity

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Sigh, The movie aside from a few liberates taken it was based off Volumes 1-2 of the Manga the same as the OVA Anime which was two 30 min episodes. The fact that you think this was some massive story smashed into this movie is pathetic. This movie was an origin story, a fucking set up movie. Again you faggots need to stick with watching shit like Battleship, or Transformers cause sploisions and stupid, or maybe Adam Sandler movies are more your speed either way the movie was about as close to the source material as you could ask for, if you don't like series that's one thing but if you were expected some Disney Princess bullshit then I hope Honey Booboo comes to the big screen for your ultimate viewer experience.

Battle Angel (OVA) - Wikipedia

omg lol look at the angry guy who is upset we all didn't love this anime trash.

• 1GreNeg
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 1 users