All things Brandon Sanderson

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
Goddammit! Need now!
At least you'll get another three-chapter excerpt in about 12 hours from this post. I'm seriously chomping at the bit over that, particularly with whether we'll see the Unmade "Do Things(tm)"

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
I've been reading the three chapter excerpts on Wednesday the past couple of weeks. Was really hoping they released on Monday and that I'd have something to read tonight. Doh!

• 1Solidarity

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Yeah they release every week at exactly 9am EST on tuesdays. I have to plan my work poops to wait until after then.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
Any idea how many of these chapters he's going to release this way? If it's going to be 3 a week until Nov 14 that's gonna be 30-some-odd chapters total, before the thing is even released. Seems like a lot. Though, some of these chapters have been pretty short.

The Kaladin chapter this week was abysmally short. I groaned audibly when I saw the end of that chapter as I scrolled, because it was so short, and that meant only one more chapter for this week. Shallan's stuff was pretty good, though.

Last edited:

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I finally finished Words of Radiance. Pretty good, pretty jazzed about the next book coming. Kaladin's character is problematic. I get that he's a slave and has had a lot of the fight beaten out of him, but he's an enormous retard for like most of the last half of the book. I like that he did a 180 but I worry about what the books will turn into when it moves from everyday struggles to DBZ with swords. How the fuck is it possible that Amaram doesn't recognize the guy who wtfpwned a shardbearer and saved his ass and he then sold into slavery and murdered a bunch of people in front of? Minor complaints really. I thought the Renarin reveal was actually the best of the bunch. There's enough clues there to show you something is up but nothing is spelled out for you until it's all revealed.

I'm really happy with Adolin, actually. Someone did a smart thing for once. Sadeas is just a ridiculous comic book villain. You just saw that prophecy is true, magic is real, every story you're every lolled at was true. Your reaction? Doublecross everyone and do more stupid shit. How does that make sense? Well whatever, not a concern anymore I guess. Szeth is a weird dude. I don't get the sword at the end. I'm also confused about the Ghostbloods and the Sons of Honor, I don't get how they factor into all this entirely.

Last edited:

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I finally finished Words of Radiance. Pretty good, pretty jazzed about the next book coming. Kaladin's character is problematic. I get that he's a slave and has had a lot of the fight beaten out of him, but he's an enormous retard for like most of the last half of the book. I like that he did a 180 but I worry about what the books will turn into when it moves from everyday struggles to DBZ with swords. How the fuck is it possible that Amaram doesn't recognize the guy who wtfpwned a shardbearer and saved his ass and he then sold into slavery and murdered a bunch of people in front of? Minor complaints really. I thought the Renarin reveal was actually the best of the bunch. There's enough clues there to show you something is up but nothing is spelled out for you until it's all revealed.

I'm really happy with Adolin, actually. Someone did a smart thing for once. Sadeas is just a ridiculous comic book villain. You just saw that prophecy is true, magic is real, every story you're every lolled at was true. Your reaction? Doublecross everyone and do more stupid shit. How does that make sense? Well whatever, not a concern anymore I guess. Szeth is a weird dude. I don't get the sword at the end. I'm also confused about the Ghostbloods and the Sons of Honor, I don't get how they factor into all this entirely.
If you read Warbreaker, you will understand the sword at the end.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
Elantris was his first book, then warbreaker, then mistborn trilogy and then stormlight with other mistoborn sprinkled in. Those are all the cosmere books. If you read them in order you can really see his growth as an author.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
I'm in an explaining sort of mood right now, so I'm going to expand on the whole "shared universe" element that shows up in Stormlight. Like I said in a previous post, hints at the wider universe show up in the other books, but Stormlight is where they become more prominent. Since Chaos just finished the released Stormlight books, I'll list the crossover stuff that shows up there:

Szeth's new sword ties into Warbreaker, although there's no explanation yet as to how it got to Stormlight's world.

Hoid: Hoid is a guy that knows the trick to traveling between worlds, and uses it to meddle in major events, usually subtly. He shows up in every book, but usually as little more than a cameo; Stormlight is the first series where he plays a semi-substantial role, as the king's Wit (he's also the guy who writes the letter that's excerpted at the heading of the chapters in the first book, and is the recipient of the letter in the second book).

Magic: reading both Mistborn and Stormlight starts to lay out the shard-gods, and their role as the common foundation of magic in all these settings (I can expand on that more, if you'd like).

The "travelers at the lake village" subplot: the travelers are all characters from the other books that have also figured out worldhopping. I believe they're trying to track down Hoid.

Odium also ties into the current state of the world of Elantris (Honor isn't the only person he's killed).

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't care for Hoid/Wit as a character in the books, it just feels like its Brandon taking part in the series as himself, if that makes sense. While some of the scenes with Wit in the Stormlight series were genuinely funny, I'd prefer not to have him there (as he is written).

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I'm in an explaining sort of mood right now, so I'm going to expand on the whole "shared universe" element that shows up in Stormlight. Like I said in a previous post, hints at the wider universe show up in the other books, but Stormlight is where they become more prominent. Since Chaos just finished the released Stormlight books, I'll list the crossover stuff that shows up there:

Szeth's new sword ties into Warbreaker, although there's no explanation yet as to how it got to Stormlight's world.

Hoid: Hoid is a guy that knows the trick to traveling between worlds, and uses it to meddle in major events, usually subtly. He shows up in every book, but usually as little more than a cameo; Stormlight is the first series where he plays a semi-substantial role, as the king's Wit (he's also the guy who writes the letter that's excerpted at the heading of the chapters in the first book, and is the recipient of the letter in the second book).

Magic: reading both Mistborn and Stormlight starts to lay out the shard-gods, and their role as the common foundation of magic in all these settings (I can expand on that more, if you'd like).

The "travelers at the lake village" subplot: the travelers are all characters from the other books that have also figured out worldhopping. I believe they're trying to track down Hoid.

Odium also ties into the current state of the world of Elantris (Honor isn't the only person he's killed).
Not exactly sure how the sword got there, but I’d guess Zahel is Vasher and he brought it. Though how he lost it would be a mystery

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I don't care for Hoid/Wit as a character in the books, it just feels like its Brandon taking part in the series as himself, if that makes sense. While some of the scenes with Wit in the Stormlight series were genuinely funny, I'd prefer not to have him there (as he is written).

This is the most blasphemous shit I have ever read! May you die while be tickled!

Malkav

French Madman
Also, if you hare caught up with Mistborn up to the Bands of Mourning, you have to read the Secret History short.

• 1Like